Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to Buy a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I told them I'm going with the road trip option. Part of the decision was easy after others confirmed any "fix it" items can be done by the Service Center at home (which I visited and they also confirmed) and the transpo being estimated for a couple weeks out. Just waiting on final paperwork/confirmation of no taxes or government fees in Virginia before buying my plane ticket (my advisor felt I would get a temp tag, pay my purchase price online, and then I have to deal with everything on my own when I get back to NC - which is no problem as I've done it for my other cars before).

I just told them that I am not doing a roadtrip and will pay to have the car transported ($1000 - New York to Charlotte, NC) as long as they bring it to my house and I don't have to go to Raleigh. From a practical standpoint, I have already planned all my vacation time from work for 2015, and just decided that It is just further than I care to deal with right now.

I just told them that I am not doing a roadtrip and will pay to have the car transported ($1000 - New York to Charlotte, NC) as long as they bring it to my house and I don't have to go to Raleigh. From a practical standpoint, I have already planned all my vacation time from work for 2015, and just decided that It is just further than I care to deal with right now.

I can certainly understand that. It lined up nicely for me. Did they say to expect your car? They told me direct to the house in Charlotte is what they would (for $500 in my case), but with a 14+ day wait to get the car. Hopefully NY has some trucks heading out sooner - though I can imagine you would want any delay you could get since you still have the Volt.

I can certainly understand that. It lined up nicely for me. Did they say to expect your car? They told me direct to the house in Charlotte is what they would (for $500 in my case), but with a 14+ day wait to get the car. Hopefully NY has some trucks heading out sooner - though I can imagine you would want any delay you could get since you still have the Volt.

Go get the car CYCLONE! Post pix on your way back at the SC with your baby!!!

They are shooting for sometime the week of 5/18 - 5/23. I would bet that the truck would go from Cali to New York, drop off new cars, pick up my car (maybe others), proceed to Raleigh. I bet the same truck would have stopped in Tyson's on the way down to pick up yours en route to Raleigh.

Sorry, I used to work for FedEx 25 years ago in Operations/Logistics, so I can't help myself from speculating on the car carrier routing ;)

They are shooting for sometime the week of 5/18 - 5/23. I would bet that the truck would go from Cali to New York, drop off new cars, pick up my car (maybe others), proceed to Raleigh. I bet the same truck would have stopped in Tyson's on the way down to pick up yours en route to Raleigh.

Sorry, I used to work for FedEx 25 years ago in Operations/Logistics, so I can't help myself from speculating on the car carrier routing ;)

The timeline fits. Then probably a day or so to truck or flatbed from Raleigh to Charotte.

- - - Updated - - -

Go get the car CYCLONE! Post pix on your way back at the SC with your baby!!!

That is the plan. EV Road Trip Planner gives me the following route (no charging at home, so topping off at our local Supercharger). I am debating on tweaking the start. My car is at Tyson's Corner that has an on-site supercharger. That said, should I use their's or should I still hit this first on to check "on the network"? This is a CPO, so chances are Supercharging never got disabled. But if it did, I can imagine a scenario that the SC's Supercharger can be used even if the car is not authorized to the network yet. I wouldn't want to get 200+ miles down the road and realize I can't Supercharge.
image.jpg

The timeline fits. Then probably a day or so to truck or flatbed from Raleigh to Charotte.

- - - Updated - - -

That is the plan. EV Road Trip Planner gives me the following route (no charging at home, so topping off at our local Supercharger). I am debating on tweaking the start. My car is at Tyson's Corner that has an on-site supercharger. That said, should I use their's or should I still hit this first on to check "on the network"? This is a CPO, so chances are Supercharging never got disabled. But if it did, I can imagine a scenario that the SC's Supercharger can be used even if the car is not authorized to the network yet. I wouldn't want to get 200+ miles down the road and realize I can't Supercharge.
image.jpg

All 85s have supercharging, and it appears tesla is enabling it on all 60 CPOs. You're fine. Avoid the Bethesda SC. I can almost promise you the folks at Tyco will charge your car to 90% before delivery. If you want a 100% charge, just ask.

All 85s have supercharging, and it appears tesla is enabling it on all 60 CPOs. You're fine. Avoid the Bethesda SC. I can almost promise you the folks at Tyco will charge your car to 90% before delivery. If you want a 100% charge, just ask.

Cool. Assuming I leave Tyco with even a 90% charge, I should be able to really do this trip with just South Hill, VA and Burlington, NC. Charlotte is just because I will be charging at work for a couple weeks and want a buffer since I'm sure everyone will immediately want a test ride.

Cyclone... I think you made a good decision. I would be more concerned about it being damaged in shipment than I would be about the extra miles from a road trip.

Have fun and enjoy your Tesla!!

Thank you! Well, at first I was worried that I'd be driving 400 miles without Xpel (still undecided about getting this) or OptiCoat (definitely getting, even over Xpel) and no screen protector on the 17", etc. Then I figured that after 30k miles on it already, Otis highly unlikely that my 400 would add anything noticeable to it. The used car is likely to have paint-correctable at pickup anyways.

So I've decided to let them ship from Atlanta to Phoenix instead of doing the drive - EV Trip Planner routed me something crazy like 4,000 miles through superchargers. No thanks. But I've got a target date of 5/16 - which is much closer to 3 weeks than the possible 5 they told me! Can't wait.

So I've decided to let them ship from Atlanta to Phoenix instead of doing the drive - EV Trip Planner routed me something crazy like 4,000 miles through superchargers. No thanks. But I've got a target date of 5/16 - which is much closer to 3 weeks than the possible 5 they told me! Can't wait.

Congrats!! Yeah, at 4k miles to move through Superchargers (or a much longer trip to go through Plugshare chargers), I would be picking the shipping option as well. From Atlanta to Phoenix ran $1,500, right?

I wouldn't count on the service center HPWC. Costa Mesa SC has 4 charging stations in front and in several visits there I have never seen a one of them not in use.

I should be ok with work and the supercharger. Second fallback would be my neighbor on the next street. I only have a shared 120 in my garage, so I'd have to dial it back since the garage door openers, 2nd fridge, and all exterior lighting are on that circuit. I actually had the microwave and garbage disposal moved to another circuit as I was blowing the circuit breaker regularly. I doubt that once I turn it down to 6 amps or less, I would do anything other than deal with vampire drain. Not worried. 15 miles to a Supercharger - can hardy complain for the few months until I get a sub panel installed!

From this post in the CPO website thread: #240
It is good to know that if you pick up the car locally there is no $500 fee.

If I were you I'd fly up to DC to pick up the car. Maybe they can pick you up at the airport in your new car :) A Mercedes dealer once did that for us when we bought out of state.

Too bad I-81 and I-66 has no supercharger coverage as that would have made a nice scenic drive back for you.

Looks all set. My DS asked me for my flight information and it sounds like they will be picking me up (or sending Uber?). I didn't even ask yet (I was waiting for the paperwork to finalize before asking).

Question on Tesla Delivery of CPO cars? I live in St Louis and am looking at car's in Chicago. Does Tesla trailer the car or do they have some kid drive it the 290 miles from Chicago. I'm not adverse to taking a road trip. BTW when I spoke with the Store in St Louis I was told "they might" waive the transport fee as they may have a DEMO car to swap with the Chicago store.