Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to Buy a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk about first class service!!

I pick up my car in 8 hours. Managed to get some sleep, but woke up and now just need to clean the garage once again lol.

For those of you in the DC area (I've read some of your area subforum), Xander has in fact moved to Tyson's Corner. He is picking me up from the airport and has been working with my local DS to get everything ready. I am basically following all the rules of NC. My car has a NC temp tag on it, they have prepared NC title and registration paperwork, and are collecting NC's 3% highway use tax, NC's title + registration + EV fee, and purchase price - deposit ($1k when ordered online), even though I'm picking up my car in VA.

Truly exceptional that Tesla is taking the tact of essentially not caring where the car physically is, but where it will titled/registered. Part of this is likely because of NC - VA state agreements.

Last edited:
Omg these CPOs are amazing!!!!!! Halfway home and hit a Supercharger up. My phone got notified that I have enough charge to continue on before the food reached my table. 50-70 on the highway takes just a blink of the eye! Met two other owners already. One with a week-old P85D and one with a 6-month old S85. Both were Pearl White and gorgeous, but I love my Dolphin Gray. Don't let "dolphin" fool you, this is a very night shade of "dark" gray that doesn't get confused for black! The black leather and and standard headliner are a great combination.

How high does the kWh use dial go for others. Mine goes all the way up past 320 kWh. I haven't tried punching it, but the car is plenty powerful. And bonus, the Tyson's Corner store was showing me the charging screen and mine has 80A on the dial. They said that means I have dual chargers. We didn't try it out though since they have an on-site supercharger. I left with a 95% charge at a 255 mile rated range. Great for a 2013 with 30k miles!!

Btw, my car has two new 19" rims, one curb rash repaired rim, and one cleaned up rim that didn't have rash already. Fresh set of four tires too. So far I'm averaging 322 wH/mile.

Omg these CPOs are amazing!!!!!! Halfway home and hit a Supercharger up. My phone got notified that I have enough charge to continue on before the food reached my table. 50-70 on the highway takes just a blink of the eye! Met two other owners already. One with a week-old P85D and one with a 6-month old S85. Both were Pearl White and gorgeous, but I love my Dolphin Gray. Don't let "dolphin" fool you, this is a very night shade of "dark" gray that doesn't get confused for black! The black leather and and standard headliner are a great combination.

How high does the kWh use dial go for others. Mine goes all the way up past 320 kWh. I haven't tried punching it, but the car is plenty powerful. And bonus, the Tyson's Corner store was showing me the charging screen and mine has 80A on the dial. They said that means I have dual chargers. We didn't try it out though since they have an on-site supercharger. I left with a 95% charge at a 255 mile rated range. Great for a 2013 with 30k miles!!

Btw, my car has two new 19" rims, one curb rash repaired rim, and one cleaned up rim that didn't have rash already. Fresh set of four tires too. So far I'm averaging 322 wH/mile.

Super happy for you man! I'll check your weblink for pics . ..

So, my CPO should be in relatively similar condition to yours - how did they do on cleaning that baby up?

This is how it works in most states, California being one of the major exceptions. You pay tax to your home state.

That wasn't my understanding. I have heard of some folks in Pacific Northwest wanted to pick up their brand new cars at the Fremont factory and were told they had to pay CA sales tax, and I think also in their home state. Best to check the state you are purchasing in and the state you are registering in.

That wasn't my understanding. I have heard of some folks in Pacific Northwest wanted to pick up their brand new cars at the Fremont factory and were told they had to pay CA sales tax, and I think also in their home state. Best to check the state you are purchasing in and the state you are registering in.

I think you and Andrew just said the same thing. In most states, you pay home tax. When picking up in CA and some other states, you pay tax to the pick up state and get a credit for that against tax in your home state. If your home state has lower taxes, you lose out and paid more because of pickup.

In my case, neither VA not NC charge a sales tax on cars and charge a "highway use tax" with registration/titling. As such, I was able to pick up my car in VA without paying a penny except for purchase price and am paying to NC our HUT and registration fees.

- - - Updated - - -

So I've got a couple errands to run this morning as follow up on the car. That said, I wanted to share some thoughts after driving home the Tesla 400+ miles yesterday.

The car is absolutely amazing!! While I would have loved Autopilot and a black headliner, this are not detracting from the experience and I'm thrilled with my purchase!!

Yesterday I got home from work at 7 pm, fell asleep at 8 pm (thank you melatonin!), woke up at 1 am, check the forums and read a logistics email from my DS, and then packed up for the airport about 3 am. I flew out at 5:30 am and was pleasantly surprised to have a text from the DC DS when I arrive in DC saying he was in the cell phone waiting lot. I walk out to the passenger pick up area and see this P85D waiting for me...
WlJhNjv.jpg

The drive to the store was great and I quickly was introduced to my beauty, undergoing a final wipedown. My car was in great shape and had some extras I hadn't expected. There was one ding (pea sized) on the hood, but no paint missing, and two pepper flake sized spots that were touched up (IMO poorly). Only noticeable when you are really looking for it though. One is at the edge of the trunk on the middle-left when facing it, the other on the passenger rear quarter panel. The care had two new wheels, one reconditioned to remove road rash (per them, I couldn't find anything on it), and the last one just needed to be cleaned. I had four new tires, all new floor mats, a parcel shelf, a CF spoiler, a cargo net (actually this is a due bill item, in writing, since they were out of stock), premium interior lighting (standard for my VIN), dual chargers. Nobody realized the dual chargers until I was being demoed the charging screen the the Charge Amperage selector was defaulted at 80A (not plugged into a charger). They didn't have a HPWC to validate it, but the rep said this screen would show 40A if I only had a single charger.

That's it for the first few moments. I'll post more later today after breakfast and running some errands.

... but I love my Dolphin Gray. Don't let "dolphin" fool you, this is a very night shade of "dark" gray that doesn't get confused for black! The black leather and and standard headliner are a great combination.

Yeah... You got the best colour! :)

So so happy for you on your purchase. And picking it up with a little road trip is a good way to get to know the car.

The cars are awesome; the superchargers change the whole game. My kWh goes to 320 as well but I don't usually need to exercise that particular option to still have just loads of clean smooth fun. 80A is getting less important with more superchargers but will still help in the future when overnight hotel charging and sharing one or two EVSEs with 17 other EVs -- you can get your charge quicker and cycle out -- oh yes, that day will be coming!! Of course they'll help for the foreseeable future for any travel between Alberta and Ontario, no spc's there seem to be planned.

Going over the car was very exciting. Pretty much all the functions available (via software) on new cars is there. Trip Planner worked great for such a long trip and got me scheduled for home without any anxiety. It left enough buffer too that I got to enjoy the drive. The car is on v6.2 (2.4.136). Guessing I'll see my first update at some point. They had me charged to 95% at pickup and the car had 255 rated range miles available.

Starting the road trip was scary. The car is a very different drive and I guess I never realized just how short the rear-view is with the hatch shape. Traffic, as usual from every time I've visited DC, was bumper to bumper. Thankfully, going the speed limit wasn't hard since I was just not comfortable with my surroundings yet. Only went 20 miles and stopped at Potomac Mills Mall Supercharger misty to de-stress and play with the car. I had no Spotify on the drive earlier, but had Pandora coming from my phone. As I pull up to the Supercharger, Spotofy turns on and my Tesla app showed my car. I figured I'd try out the Supercharger. Sorry, no photos. As I plugged in, a week-old Pearl White P85D owner from Maryland (Tim, are you on here) walked up and struck a conversation. He was just topping off as well and wanted to check out this Supercharger. We compared some notes and were ecstatic at each other's car. Btw, his car is a great tailgating car with the rear jump seats. Not the most comfortable fit, but easily fits a grown man for a football game tailgate party! He only charged for 10 minutes and then took off. I figured I might as well too. Now I hit my first embarrassing moment. I kept pressing the button and would hear clicks, but my charge port would go white, red, white, blue, green and never release. A quick call to Tesla Service reveals you press AND HOLD the button to release the charging cord. Hold the button until you take out the cord.

More updates later today. My family member just got home and moved his car. He had blocked me in the garage and I gotta get going to work.

Leaving this stop, I encountered my first bug. It's been reported in the 6.2 bugs thread, but I'll mention it anyways. After Supercharging and getting ready to hit the road, the center nav screen just got stuck "loading" to get to the next stop in South Hill, VA. I gave it a moment because I was thought maybe it was downloading map data and had a weak signal, but I got on the interstate and it was still loading. I ended up doing the both upper button hold to cycle the center screen, and that showed me that in fact it is holding both scroll wheels that reboot the center screen. And of course, this also kills off Spotify and shuts off your HVAC temporarily. Nothing like going down the interstate while the screen reboots. And that brings up another point. Didn't I read somewhere that there is a third reboot? One of the above two, but you keep holding during the reboot cycle. What does that reboot? I didn't want to try it on the road b/c these two were the only two I recall being safe to do while driving.

So the next leg of my journey was the most fun. I drove through Richmond and had two Tesla Moments as people stuck their heads of their car to catch a better look and coast beside me to really take it in. That just made the Tesla grin that much wider! It also providing a change in driving behavior between stretches of seemingly nothing and city limit interstate driving. The car performed admirably and was truly a pleasure to drive. In this traffic, I can see where TACC would be great, but traditional cruise still does a great job. Things were pretty uneventful (which is good).

Once I got to South Hill, I had some trouble finding the Supercharger. Thankfully, I saw it in the corner of my eye in the back parking lot of a local restaurant. I now know where this is, but imagine it would be nice if the Supercharger entries in the on-board Nav had a picture or description of where the chargers are. I haven't looked at Superchargers on Plugshare, but L2 chargers usually have comments on where to find them and any caveats to beware. Anyways, a quick double back had me pulling in and practicing using the rear view camera versus the huge mirror view of my 4Runner. A note to self that the guidelines are about where the the wheels are, so if the guideline says you are right up to the stall line, then you really are. Good practice for future curb rash avoidance! At the restaurant, the chef gave a welcoming hello from their deck and said to come on in. At first I was anxious to spend more time checking out my car as I only needed 15 minutes to stay above 20% when reaching Burlington, NC, but alas, there will be plenty of time for that over the next few years. I went inside, had a good lunch, and chatted with the wait staff who asked about my car. That prompted the attention of a very nice married couple who had a Pearl White 85 w/ Autopilot also charging out there. The warmth and camaraderie of the Tesla family is well in Virginia! The were from the area of VA and stopped for lunch as well while topping off. A great experience overall.

Not long after getting back on the Interstate, I was at the NC border. Here is some proof of that...
ZpzdEQ1.jpg

Let's just say that driving a Tesla can be a bit more spirited when you aren't worrying about a plane flying overhead scanning license plates. :) The drive to Alamance Mall in Burlington, NC was also uneventful. It's a strip mall much like any other strip mall. The chargers are behind Dillard's and the nearest restaurant (that I could find outside the stores) was across from the movie theater in the back of the stores. No directional signs, but the lady at the Yankee Candle Store was kind enough to direct me. Trip Planner said I only needed a 5 minute charge, so I had plenty of range when I got back to the car. The rest of the way to Charlotte is a trip I've done many times before because I used to live near Greensboro and still visit friends up there, so it just flew by.

My final stop was at the Charotte Supercharger. Technically I did not need this stop, but I don't have charging set up at home and work, while having a 30A J1772 for employee use, asks that we limit sessions to 3 hours so everyone has a chance to use the chargers. I will be getting a 14-50 installed at home soon. But in the meantime, work and a Supercharger on the other side of town will do me fine. Today I tested the HPWC at my local Tesla store and confirmed my car indeed has dual chargers. I could always go full blown and get a HPWC for home if I get enough service to support it. Plenty of time to think about it!

I hope my ramblings have been helpful and share a bit of the joy of road tripping in a Tesla is like. I've only had the car 24 hours, and already I was told tonight that maybe tomorrow we should just take a road trip to Asheville or the mountains "just because"! :D

Good to know that the CA approach is the exception and not more common.

Most states have a "drive away" exemption, whereby if you leave the state within a fixed period of time, no sales tax is due. California used to have one. When the Prius was brand-new, it was only available in select states, and most, if not all of them went to dealers in California. Quite a few of them where purchased in California and went elsewhere. California felt that it had "lost" this tax revenue, and repealed the drive-away exemption. :-(

I've only had the car 24 hours, and already I was told tonight that maybe tomorrow we should just take a road trip to Asheville or the mountains "just because"! :D

Yup!!!

Good stories, obviously the first of many to come. As an owner who happened to be one of the first with both a Roadster and a Model S in Canada told me once, it's surprising that as time goes by, each month, the happiness of driving somehow just keeps getting more and better.