TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Road Trip to California for Delivery??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by NoBeard, Aug 21, 2018.

1. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Has anyone asked if it's possible to pick up a new order in the US?
    I've brought new cars across the border before so that's not a problem.
    It looks like the system sets orders up for a delivery by freight instead of pick up from Quebec City.
    We'd love to fly out to California, do a road trip home to New Brunswick, supercharging the whole way!

• Like x 1
  2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Unfortunately, California is one of the rare states where visitors have to pay sales tax on cars in the scenario you describe.

• Informative x 1
  3. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Thanks for the info, how crazy is that, eh?
    Show proof it's being plated out of the country and get people flying in, spending money on hotels and meals while there. While we're there visit some attractions, spend more money.

4. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Hmmm, now I'm not sure you're right... This site...
    California Publishes Guidance for Vehicle Use Tax Exemptions
    Claims there is an exemption available if I get a certificate after proving it's being "removed" for use out of state...

"California exempts some vehicle sales to individuals by non-dealers. A vehicle is exempt from use tax when it is (1) ... (8) purchased for out-of-state use and only used in California while being removed from the state, or (9)...

If a purchaser qualifies for a use tax exemption, the purchaser may get a Use Tax Clearance certificate from the Board. This certificate allows the purchaser to register the vehicle in California without paying use tax. The DMV can process vehicle registrations without this certificate but is not required to do so."

More research required.

• Funny x 1
  5. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Good catch. I hope I'm wrong. Someone on this forum will know for sure.

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

In the link they mention use tax, which is not the same as sales tax. Sales tax would apply to a factory pickup.

In a recent thread, there was no mention of change to California's practice of taxing out-of-state vehicle purchasers (a legislative attempt to do so failed in 2016).

Taking Delivery in California out of Market Action

7. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

Well, with the rebate gone - this is a viable option if you fancy the awesome road trip. I was thinking about this for a summer vacation.

Get the car picked up by OCD detailing, have them to wrap the car, fly in and drive back :). Hell lot better than spending $10,000 on a river cruise through Europe imo.

• Like x 1
  8. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

The biggest issue before even considering anything else is will Tesla accommodate this request. I'm going to assume that's a big no.

• Like x 1
  9. Koflach

Koflach Member

agreed, before you start planning your trip you might want to check the feasibility of even doing it with Tesla.

10. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Was hoping to find someone who had asked and got an answer before sitting on hold for an hour. ;)

11. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

The big question is Taxes, there's a lot of laws and regulations about where vehicles are purchased and plated vs your home location.

12. pcons

pcons Support Movember: https://mobro.co/13874276?mc=1

I thought there was something about Tesla's not being able to be imported into Canada due to not being listed as eligible for import....I remember reading a thread on here discussing that. I think it was in relation to buying a CPO in the states. But the basic conclusion was that Tesla doesn't configure cars to be 'legal' in Canada when built for the US....I thought nowadays those things were behind us, but I think this may put this idea dead in the water. If the model S and X can't be imported (CPO or used), then I think its highly unlikely you could do the 3....

Disclaimer: I may have no f*ng clue what I'm talking about :)

13. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

You're correct, you can't import any Tesla (except for the Gen 1 roadster I believe) into Canada from the USA. It is not eligible with RIV. Tesla's official reason for denying them for import is that they do not have the infrastructure here to support imported cars, from what I recall.

14. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Some of our politicians in California tried to pass a bill a few years ago to encourage "Tesla tourism". Other clueless politicians, including one representing my district, shot it down (in spite of my stated objections). I love California, but as a state that now has about 40 million people, it certainly has its share of stupid policies. Hope you'll come visit anyway! We've certainly enjoyed our visits to Canada.

With large numbers of Model 3 cars being shipped, I think Tesla will eventually feel compelled to allow its vehicles to be registered across the US/Canada border. We've already read stories of people being forced to sell their Tesla vehicles when moving between countries. This is okay for a niche auto company, but not for a major auto manufacturer.

15. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Some overseas manufacturers have a factory delivery program. BUT these vehicles are manufactured to the destination country specifications. Tesla does not have such a program.

16. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

It’s not up to Tesla, it’s all up to one government or the other to change their demands.
    The US government has one set of regulations for cars being purchased.
    Canada has a different, slightly more stringent set of rules for cars being purchased.

Until those rules are the same, Tesla has no choice but to make slightly different cars for each country.

Being as small as they still are, Tesla literally cannot afford the time and the tech to alter a US car to Canadian standards (although they don’t need to make any changes for a Canadian car to be sold in the US).

17. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Tesla would were there an equivalent of the EU regulation:
    TTCar Transit Terms and Conditions
    California would make money on such an arrangement, and everyone would benefit.

18. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    My recollection is that Tesla specifically chose not to petition the Government of Canada (and perhaps the US Government) to allow its vehicles to be imported between the US and Canada. This has been discussed in a number of threads. Here's one: Buying USA Model S and importing into Canada - complications?

19. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

The point still stands: it’s not up to Tesla, but governmental approval.

20. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

The original poster did not ask about importing a US model. He asked about picking up his Canadian spec model at the factory. This would be a no brainer for Tesla. Purchase completed in Canada and pick up at factory. Lot's of other manufacturers offer this option.