Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to California for Delivery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original poster did not ask about importing a US model. He asked about picking up his Canadian spec model at the factory. This would be a no brainer for Tesla. Purchase completed in Canada and pick up at factory. Lot's of other manufacturers offer this option.
Correct, thanks for clarifying.
I have in the past bought US spec autos and had them modified to meet the Canadian Standard, (usually not nearly as hard as it's made out to be) but in this case I just want to pick up my Canadian Spec model and drive it home.
If the California sales tax rules are really obstructing that, it's more than a little bit nuts of them to stop us from flying down and spending a bunch of $ all across the states on the way home.

TESLA MOTORS
Canadian Spec or not, they wont let you cross into canada with it. Im driving mine home from Seatle but only because it has been registered in BC.
Also its more than the DRL's and the seatbelt release, you also have to change every sticker in the car for bilingual ones.

TESLA MOTORS
Canadian Spec or not, they wont let you cross into canada with it. Im driving mine home from Seatle but only because it has been registered in BC.
Also its more than the DRL's and the seatbelt release, you also have to change every sticker in the car for bilingual ones.

Thanks for the link about importing US spec cars... not what I asked.
Been through the RIV process a few times, fully aware of how it works... not what I asked.

Asked about picking up the exact car that they currently will be shipping to my house, before they put it on a truck so I can drive it home. Likely I could get it registered before i leave to pick it up as I will have VIN and will have paid already. Could even fly down with plates.

It's already configured for Canada off the assembly line. No mods required, no RIV required.

Reactions: mrElbe
So it turns out for anyone who may search for this answer in the future.
Although I could do it from the Canadian side, no problem...
California really does charge sales tax at the dealer level unless...

Regulation 1610

under B 2 D 2

It basically says it has to be shipped by the dealer.
Bizzarro, both the states I've picked up cars from seemed happy to provide an exemption for self pickup, guess they figured out the tourism $ we'd spend.

Guess we'll stay at home and use the money for a road trip in the X when it gets here!

Thanks for all the input along the way,

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe