Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - UK to Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a road trip from the UK to Lake Como Italy in my Tesla 3 SR+, I took the overnight ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland and did one overnight stop in Basel Switzerland on the outward journey and Frankfurt Germany on the return. I covered 2014 miles, spent around £90 on 16 super charging sessions and averaged 233 Wh/mi. I travelled at normal road speeds and and slightly quicker on unrestricted sections of the autobahn.

The car was fine, and I had no worries with range anxiety, the only issues encountered that the sat nav did not pick up my location when I exited the ferry in The Netherlands, after a call to Tesla and a hard reset it was fine. The network reception was quite poor in areas of The Netherlands and Germany which impacted Spotify and updating the map display. Tesla inbuilt route planner wanted to take me through France and some the legs required me driving at reduced speed to reach the charger. As waypoints are not an option, I set the destination as the next super charger. The speed limits displayed in the car are not always accurate and there were issues with phantom braking and not be able to set the adaptive cruise control speed easily for road work sections, for example 130 kph to 80 kph when there was not a car in front of you driving at a slower speed. I managed to scrape the bumper in an underground car park in Milan, this was user error, and, in my defence, they seemed to be designed for a much smaller car.

I used a better route planner to plan the route and charging stops, this worked okay, but it’s way off in terms of arrival times as it does not seem take into account real time traffic, I also realised when you send the waypoints to the car, the locations are slightly off, so it’s better to input the location directly into the sat nav. I used charge map to find charging locations in the local area I was staying, fortunately there was a public free to use Tesla Destination charger near to where I was staying. I was prepared with a couple of RFID cards, but these were never needed and I only paid tolls when I took a trip to Milan, and they were simple to do as a card payment.

If I was, I do this trip again, I would probably plan a lower minimum SOC for reaching chargers, perhaps 10% and this would have reduced the number of super chargers. The longest leg I covered was 154 miles and that was with a starting 92% and ending with 14%.

49785F7B-1624-4E64-BCDB-2734FEBF333C.jpeg

6CDDD643-F801-4695-B82B-B5B234C8C831.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a road trip from the UK to Lake Como Italy in my Tesla 3 SR+, I took the overnight ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland and did one overnight stop in Basel Switzerland on the outward journey and Frankfurt Germany on the return. I covered 2014 miles, spent around £90 on 16 super charging sessions and averaged 233 Wh/mi. I travelled at normal road speeds and and slightly quicker on unrestricted sections of the autobahn.

The car was fine, and I had no worries with range anxiety, the only issues encountered that the sat nav did not pick up my location when I exited the ferry in The Netherlands, after a call to Tesla and a hard reset it was fine. The network reception was quite poor in areas of The Netherlands and Germany which impacted Spotify and updating the map display. Tesla inbuilt route planner wanted to take me through France and some the legs required me driving at reduced speed to reach the charger. As waypoints are not an option, I set the destination as the next super charger. The speed limits displayed in the car are not always accurate and there were issues with phantom braking and not be able to set the adaptive cruise control speed easily for road work sections, for example 130 kph to 80 kph when there was not a car in front of you driving at a slower speed. I managed to scrape the bumper in an underground car park in Milan, this was user error, and, in my defence, they seemed to be designed for a much smaller car.

I used a better route planner to plan the route and charging stops, this worked okay, but it’s way off in terms of arrival times as it does not seem take into account real time traffic, I also realised when you send the waypoints to the car, the locations are slightly off, so it’s better to input the location directly into the sat nav. I used charge map to find charging locations in the local area I was staying, fortunately there was a public free to use Tesla Destination charger near to where I was staying. I was prepared with a couple of RFID cards, but these were never needed and I only paid tolls when I took a trip to Milan, and they were simple to do as a card payment.

If I was, I do this trip again, I would probably plan a lower minimum SOC for reaching chargers, perhaps 10% and this would have reduced the number of super chargers. The longest leg I covered was 154 miles and that was with a starting 92% and ending with 14%.

View attachment 583858

View attachment 583859
Thanks for the trip report. Particularly useful since I'm off to Lake Garda next Saturday (hopefully). Southampton -> Calais -> Heidelberg
(via Aachen) -> Lake Garda. Will see if I am able to avoid having to quarantine by the time I get back - I won't be holding my breath.

Also interested in RFID tags you took although I suspect I can guess.

Thanks for the trip report. Particularly useful since I'm off to Lake Garda next Saturday (hopefully). Southampton -> Calais -> Heidelberg
(via Aachen) -> Lake Garda. Will see if I am able to avoid having to quarantine by the time I get back - I won't be holding my breath.

Also interested in RFID tags you took although I suspect I can guess.

I have a Shell Recharge, Plugsurfing and Maingau card.