TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Road-trip updates: SF to LA and back, on electricity. And Autopilot!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by e-FTW, Dec 6, 2015.

1. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Hey all!
    After an entertaining discussion on whether I should fly or drive for this trip (To fly or not to fly. Another SF-LA trip thread. Now with Autopilot!), I ended up deciding to drive.
    The cost is the same to my employer (I charge mileage) as if I were flying and renting a car, I have the time to do it around my mid-day meetings Monday in LA, and well, I just want to do it. Have plenty of podcasts, and Autopilot to reduce fatigue!
    And all of it with zero emissions. :cool:

Plan

• Leave from San Francisco on Sunday.
    • Take a more scenic route, plus a stop at Space X. Just because.
    • Drive to meetings in San Bernardino on Monday morning.
    • Leave for San Francsico, taking the fast route, and see how quick and efficient I can make my way back.

I will update this thread with details of the trip.
    Ongoing updates will also be available on Twitter.com/macalex filed under #SFtoLAonElectricity.

This is going to be great!

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

400 miles each way? That's just an errand. ;)

Anyway, have fun on the trip. :)

3. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

First order of business: waste electrons for the 2 miles up to Twin Peaks as the starting point. I mean, Twin Peaks to Hollywood sign does have a ring to it.
    Today is the laid-back drive. Tomorrow will be the time-trial!

4. f-stop

f-stop Member

#4 f-stop, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Hey e-FTW! This sounds like an EV remake of a 2014 episode of the Mythbusters in the making.

in 2014 episode 14, "Traffic Tricks" they tested the myth that for trips under 400 miles, driving is faster than flying. So they tested it with a race from SF to LA between car and commercial flight (Spoiler: they found it "Plausible")

since the Mythbusters M5 Industries is right in your backyard, they should sign you up to redo the test in your Model S. Whether faster or slower, it's guaranteed to be more enjoyable driving a Tesla, that's for sure. Enjoy the trip, I will be watching for updates!

5. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Ha!

- - - Updated - - -

You may have won most epic post in this thread already. OMGOMGOMG

- - - Updated - - -

From home, I am at 162 rated miles. No home charging here, long story. Non-issue so far. Now to see where the car tells me I can make it once I am up Twin Peaks.

6. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Just got to Gilroy with 75 miles to spare. Plenty of spots open. They also have a bunch of other types of charging stations here, and I see an e-Golf and a Volt charging.
    Now to decide between I-5 and 101. Have done this stretch of 101 when coming back for SLO 5 years ago. Maybe I should take the I-5 for a bit before going for the coast...
    Would post the screenshots and data, but have not figured out my ideal image posting workflow to this forum yet. My Twitter feed is there for that, and keeping family and friends updated. See @macalex

7. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449437457.643236.jpg The view from 1B in Gilroy.

8. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

So picked the 101. Here are a few items from the last few hours:
    1 - There are instances where the Tesla navigation will tell that you have charged enough to get to your destination or the next charger (with a 10% buffer). Sadly, I had two instances where after a few miles of driving, it changed its mind and asked me to turn around, saying I would need to charge another 5 minutes before leaving the same charger I just left.
    The first time was after leaving Gilroy on the 101 going south. I fought the nav for a bit, and after restarting the trip, it offered to divert to Monterey/Seaside on the way. I did so.
    Just before I got to Seaside Tesla (yay, lounge snacks!) I called the Mothership. Tech support told me that engineering was aware of the issue. The current quick fix is to shut off nav for a few miles, and try again.
    Upon leaving Seaside, it complained similarly. By the time I left, I actually was looking at a 20% buffer at my next charge stop. I gave it a few miles, tried the nav again as suggested, and it sorted itself out.
    Next charge was giving me a 31% buffer, and this time nav was happy. Maybe anything at or below 20% (yellow) is a trigger.

2- I assumed I would have plenty of time while charging to pick a route, upload pics, document, post here, tweet, text my wife and walk around. False! Am scarfing a meal down, as my car, as usual, will be ready before I am. :)

9. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us all. I was supposed to do SAN to SF to Eugene OR and back last week but plans changed. Enjoying it vicariously through you.

10. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Happy you are enjoying it. Can't help but feel shame about the lack of hard data. But my car is impatient, and wants me to go! I am posting screenshots of Remote S and pics of the trip data car to my Twitter feed. Hopefully that quenches the data geeks' thirst!

11. f-stop

f-stop Member

:)
    btw if you have downtime after you arrive in LA, you can watch the MB episode I mentioned, someone on reddit conveniently has all episodes here - see 2014 episode 14 Traffic Tricks, the fly vs drive test starts at about the 34:00min mark

12. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Don't worry, I am a bit of a super-fan. But sadly, that era is coming to an end next year... :-(

13. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Made it to Huntington Beach. Took well over 10 hours.
    HB if 45 minutes south of the City of Angels, so 9.5 hours of that was actually the SF to LA trip. I told you it would be leisurely, and it was, in some ways. The unexpected side-trip to Monterey added about an hour, which was not great. I also spent more time than needed at some stops, started out with a partial charge, and ended with way more charge than needed (since I was planning for tomorrow).
    Tomorrow's drive from SB to SF will be the fast one, on the I-5.

This was a LOT of miles and time in the car. But the biggest thing, the most amazing thing, is how much Autopilot takes away from the tiredness that one should feel after such a drive. I am not even close to how tired I should be after 522 miles of driving in one day. This works!
    More thoughts tomorrow, scotch awaits...

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#14 ecarfan, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    I routinely go from the Gilroy SC to the Atascadero SC on much less than a 100% charge, so don't know why you had to charge in Monterey (that would only be needed if you took Hwy 1 through Big Sur, which I assume you did not do). I've done the SF to LA trip on the 101 in much less time than what you described. I can skip the SC in Buelton and charge at Camarillo.

15. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Hey ecarfan, I agree with everything you said. I was not going for speed, nor did I have the conditions in place to do so (did not leave with full charge). Check out the data screenshots in my Twitter feed.
    The Monterey side-trip was my geek brain trusting the engineers. It is a software bug that I should have ignored that took me there.
    Should have made Gilroy-Atascadero easy. Again, this was not planned for speed.
    But today is! San Bernardino to SF via the I-5 after lunch. Will plan to be fully charged at go-time.

16. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Alright folks! Part 2!

Am having BBQ at Lucille's Smokehouse while Energon slurps electrons at the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger. Had a nice chat with a San Bernardino police officer asking me about the car.
    Range charge and then hoping to make it to Harris Ranch. I-5 all the way.

Have snacks, more podcasts and Autopilot to keep me company. This is like having another half-driver in the car to take over for the most boring parts of the drive.

17. rpo

rpo Member

I went from San Diego to Santa Rosa in 8 hours last weekend. There's a goal for you to beat! Just kidding about that. I was not exactly (IE: never) going the speed limit. According to VisibleTesla, the ~130 miles through L.A. between San Juan Capistrano and Tejon Ranch averaged over 90.

18. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

I wish I had time to come up with a magical tool to find the optimal speed vs overall trip time including charge times. Oh well, next road trip! EVtriplanner does not think a 60 can make it to Harris. But I have a 70... Hmm. We'll see what the car thinks!

19. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

That's pretty good speed considering it always seems to be 5mph through SJC for me!

20. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I noticed you jumped right over the part between Huntington Beach and Rancho Cucamonga. So did you end up taking 91 east, were you able to use the HOV lane, and if not, how much of a nightmare was it?