Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road-trip updates: SF to LA and back, on electricity. And Autopilot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought for the future when doing these trip reports. Maybe use "My Tracks" which is a phone app that will chart your route, show all sorts of metrics like average moving speed, etc. Easy to post the route as a picture or link that followers can see as you are moving even. Of course Waze can do some of this as well so that reports are somewhat real-time. I love these posts. Learn so much about long distance travel. Hoping for my 85D by end of month.

So picked the 101. Here are a few items from the last few hours:
1 - There are instances where the Tesla navigation will tell that you have charged enough to get to your destination or the next charger (with a 10% buffer). Sadly, I had two instances where after a few miles of driving, it changed its mind and asked me to turn around, saying I would need to charge another 5 minutes before leaving the same charger I just left.
The first time was after leaving Gilroy on the 101 going south. I fought the nav for a bit, and after restarting the trip, it offered to divert to Monterey/Seaside on the way. I did so.
Just before I got to Seaside Tesla (yay, lounge snacks!) I called the Mothership. Tech support told me that engineering was aware of the issue. The current quick fix is to shut off nav for a few miles, and try again.
Upon leaving Seaside, it complained similarly. By the time I left, I actually was looking at a 20% buffer at my next charge stop. I gave it a few miles, tried the nav again as suggested, and it sorted itself out.
Next charge was giving me a 31% buffer, and this time nav was happy. Maybe anything at or below 20% (yellow) is a trigger.

2- I assumed I would have plenty of time while charging to pick a route, upload pics, document, post here, tweet, text my wife and walk around. False! Am scarfing a meal down, as my car, as usual, will be ready before I am. :)
This same phenomenon of the car underestimating charge to destination and rerouting effected me a few weeks ago. I was on a day trip to the county which represented about 150 miles round trip. No problem I thought, just take the precaution of charging to 100% and it should be no sweat. Well, at the destination we ran into the mother of all traffic jams around a Renaissance festival. Literally 90 minutes crawling the last 9 miles. The good news is that an electric car consumes very little juice when stopped in traffic like this while all the ICE machines around me burn the last of the planet's fossil fuel. I didn't fret the range; I knew I had plenty. And then it was even worse on the way back! Now I was doing some calculations in my head. Once I got under way I engaged the nav to get a home ETA. Well it refused to go straight home but rather insisted on sending me to a Supercharger that was considerably out of my way. My head said that I should have 50 miles at least when I got home. The problem (from the Nav's perspective) was that I was just sitting in traffic getting awful efficiency readings like over 1,000 Wh/mi. It was based on that efficiency that it was projecting range before recharge. After I convinced myself what was going on with the nav routing I just turned it off and proceeded straight home. To test the theory, after 25 miles of highway driving I asked Niki to nav me home and sure enough it had a reasonable recent efficiency value to go on and projected that I should arrive home at 22% SOC. And indeed that's what it was when I drove in the driveway.
This was an exaggerated case which highlights what the nav system uses to project range. It really does use the latest efficiency readings to calculate route options.

I noticed you jumped right over the part between Huntington Beach and Rancho Cucamonga. So did you end up taking 91 east, were you able to use the HOV lane, and if not, how much of a nightmare was it?

Excellent point, I was going to bring it up in my post-trip report. I left Huntington at 8:30am. Went to Fountain Valley for a charge and breakfast. Left FV at 9am. I got very light traffic for 5 minutes on the 55. Then nothing the whole way. Never had to care about the Express Lanes.
Remember, I was going reverse commute, and after 9am.

So, I have no idea what Angelinos are talking about when mentioning all of this traffic business. ;-)

This same phenomenon of the car underestimating charge to destination and rerouting effected me a few weeks ago. I was on a day trip to the county which represented about 150 miles round trip. No problem I thought, just take the precaution of charging to 100% and it should be no sweat. Well, at the destination we ran into the mother of all traffic jams around a Renaissance festival. Literally 90 minutes crawling the last 9 miles. The good news is that an electric car consumes very little juice when stopped in traffic like this while all the ICE machines around me burn the last of the planet's fossil fuel. I didn't fret the range; I knew I had plenty. And then it was even worse on the way back! Now I was doing some calculations in my head. Once I got under way I engaged the nav to get a home ETA. Well it refused to go straight home but rather insisted on sending me to a Supercharger that was considerably out of my way. My head said that I should have 50 miles at least when I got home. The problem (from the Nav's perspective) was that I was just sitting in traffic getting awful efficiency readings like over 1,000 Wh/mi. It was based on that efficiency that it was projecting range before recharge. After I convinced myself what was going on with the nav routing I just turned it off and proceeded straight home. To test the theory, after 25 miles of highway driving I asked Niki to nav me home and sure enough it had a reasonable recent efficiency value to go on and projected that I should arrive home at 22% SOC. And indeed that's what it was when I drove in the driveway.
This was an exaggerated case which highlights what the nav system uses to project range. It really does use the latest efficiency readings to calculate route options.

Sounds plausible. I had two more occurrences of this, once when leaving Harris Ranch yesterday. Now the I-5 is 70 mph, and I intended on going faster than the previous segment (see my full report later tonight, need to get to work). So it disagreed for a few miles...

So I made it home, and if you followed the goings on on my Twitter feed, you'll have seen I got home in about 8 hours from Rancho Cucamonga to my place in San Francisco. Plenty of tweaks could have made this shorter, or longer.
Have lots to share, but the work day is upon me...

Autopilot rules! So does Serial. That is all.

Thanks for posting your trip, e-FTW.
Haven't seen the twitter posts but hopefully you charged at Tejon, otherwise I am guessing you'd have to draft a slow truck all the way to Harris and ignore all those cars passing you at 80+ mph.

I have done SF-LA many times and seen the crazy nav suggestions. There is a button to clear all charging stops from the navi to just get a straight time to destination estimate.