Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip with high heat = no AC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone is saying that your A/C will fail if the temperature goes over 100 °F either. From what I can gather it works over 100 °F sometimes and sometimes it doesn't - just what the manual says. If your car exhibits reduced cooling in hot weather either there has been a failure of some A/C component or the car is behaving as the manual says it is likely to. If you decide it has failed and take it in for service they will do their diagnostic checks and if everything passes they will, quite sensibly IMO, conclude that the car was responding to a load situation where it was necessary to curtail cabin cooling as it is supposed to do. If they can't find anything wrong what are they supposed to fix?

Now all of us that have dealt with high tech devices in our lives know the situation where the doodad acts up and we take it to maintenance and they can't find anything but as soon as we get it back to our lab it acts up again. Sometimes this goes through multiple iterations. So I do recognize that this can happen.

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
In my case, I was in Monterey, CA this past week.. the temperatures didn't get above 75ish that morning. Even after we drove to our next stop for lunch (where it was in the high 60s outside) and only a few miles away, the X continued to provide hot air into the cabin before and after the lunch stop.

I enabled AC remotely to see the cabin temps climb upwards to 103 before I stopped it. The cabin was in the 90s when I started it remotely.

Yes, it may prioritize battery cooling, but, in this case, it seemed like it was something else.

• Informative
I'd certainly be concerned were that to happen to me. Did the problem resolve? Did you do a reboot?. These cars do everything in software and we all know how that works. The passenger seat controls in my X stopped working. This was repaired by "reprogramming". The only tool used was a laptop.

After the lunch stop, we went to the Tesla service center nearby, and even they observed the issue with nothing in the logs.

Driving around with an 8 month pregnant wife and hot air in the car isn't wise, so, we drove a couple miles back to the hotel and I powered off the car. An hour or so later, went back to check, and it was fine.

The advisor mentioned it could be a module or some weird firmware issue (and he said a new firmware would be rolling out to everyone this week - a couple of days before the mass v10 started).

I have my appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning at the nearby Tesla service center, and I'm sure they won't find anything either. I still haven't received v10 (maybe tonight, unless they blocked it due to my appointment), but will see what they say.

• Informative
Hi mjptech,

It's too bad there is not an objective test (that I have heard of) that will definitively demonstrate how well the A/C
is performing.
On my past GM cars they measured the temperature output of a main blower outlet.
It was supposed to be near 55 degrees F - I do not remember the exact number.
I have not heard of checking for this number in a Tesla.
It's not ALL about computer operation and I have RTFM - mine dated 3-22-2018 for my car manufactured
on 3-7-2018.............(7 seats for few people but added A/C equipment.)

Good Luck,

Shawn

There are several tests that demonstrate whether an A/C system is working or not. Evaporator air output temperature is one of them. Others are high and low side pressures, super heat, subcooling, compressor current draw. In the Tesla most likely glycol loop temperatures are also checked. And there would be checks of the actuators that apportion refrigerant flow to the evaporator and battery loop heat exchangers (if thats how it's done or blower and coolant pump power if that's how it's done. It is doubtless these tests that the SCs are running when they tell the customer that everything seems OK.

• Informative
Hi Adelange,

That is a complete list of tests...
"It is doubtless" may be a stretch from some reports of users that report:
blocked passages, contaminated coolant, compressor failing...
I would love to believe that ALL service centers perform ALL of those tests for ALL users that complain of
"weak" A/C.

From too many reports here in multiple threads it sounds like many are being told:
"Gee whiz everything looks OK."
"No computer error codes in the diagnostic logs."
What items in your list are reported as errors by the various onboard computers???
They are certainly monitored...

I'm on board if ALL Service centers do ALL of the tests ALL of the time...
It just does not seem so from varying customer results we read here.

There are too many threads telling drivers this Service center is better than that one
to believe they all perform identically.................

Just sayin'

Shawn

From what I have been able to deduce I would expect that they pull the little shelf, connect a laptop to the CAN bus and push the "Run A/C Diagnostic Suite" button on the laptop. These cars are designed to be diagnosed and serviced by people who do not have PHD's in automotive engineering. But as usual I am speculating. I have never witnessed the diagnosis of an A/C problem and hope I never do.