Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 3 weeks before our trip to see the eclipse, our first road trip in the year we have had our Model S, a branch breaks through the windshield. Safelite and/or the insurance company completely mess up, and it isn't done in time. I rent a Tesla (from a great company in the Boston area, who I won't name since this isn't their fault).

The 2016 Model S died last night ("Car needs service. Car may not restart") in North Carolina, fortunately it let us drive to our hotel. Tesla support was useless, treating me like a second class citizen since it wasn't my car (they didn't give any diagnostic tips, said it needed to go to service, but didn't even say if I could drive it or needed roadside assistance). The owner arranged for a tow to the local service center (fortunately, 10 miles away). And they dropped off a loaner this morning.

They weren't able to fix it today, which would have been the only painless option (driving 10 miles to swap cars). They had to send the logs to HQ, which I'm guessing isn't open on Saturdays (if so, they should have said right away the car would not be ready today!).

So without losing hotel reservations, there aren't many options left. If the car happens to be ready by Tuesday morning, I can swap cars on the way back home -- but that will require over 10 hours of driving/charging time (tough with 3 kids in the car), about 4 more hours than we were planning (we are going back a different way). If it isn't ready Tuesday morning, I'll be in Pennsylvania Wednesday where it would be 16 hours round-trip to swap out the cars, which isn't realistic with 3 kids.

The best option seems to be if it is ready by Tuesday morning, and there is any chance I can get the service center to drive the car about an hour away, meeting them at a supercharger... but I have a good idea what the chances of that happening are. Without that, it's looking like either a hopefully-not-horrible day with way too much driving, or figuring out how to swap the cars after I get back to Massachusetts. Not fun.

Adding to this is that Tesla didn't leave me with a copy of either the loaner paperwork I signed, or the agreement to work on the car (which likely isn't valid, as they know I am not the owner), so I don't even have that information to go on. <sigh>

I have rented only from Hertz, Avis and the like, so forgive me if I'm in error. But why are you responsible for getting a car that does not drive back to the rental company? I suggest you tell the owner you'll be delivering the loaner back to them and the S is their problem.

Good luck!

That is a great point. If the car won't drive, how can I be expected to return it? Obviously either delaying a trip a week (if it takes a week) or needing to return 800 miles after the trip (again, assuming it takes longer than my trip) isn't something that can be expected of a renter.

In this case, assuming the car is ready by the time we are within a 3-hour round trip drive of the Tesla dealer, that's something I would do. Really annoying, yes, but on the other hand I don't feel it is fair to not pick up the car in that case (which would be much easier for me to do than them).

... The best option seems to be if it is ready by Tuesday morning, and there is any chance I can get the service center to drive the car about an hour away, meeting them at a supercharger... but I have a good idea what the chances of that happening are.

The rental company coordinated with Tesla, and sure enough, they had the rental transported over to where I asked, and swapped with the loaner. It may have added perhaps an hour to our driving time, but much better than what I had feared. And it was charged to 100%, which was very nice.