Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Yaaaaaaay! Melbourne to Scotts Head ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First major road trip in years. It's amazing how this car affects your enthusiasm to drive.

Take off Monday 28/3

Leg 1 Melb - Gundagai - stay night
Leg 2 Gundagai - Sydney - stay 2 nights (catch up son & friends)
Leg 3 Sydney - Port Macquarie (destin. charger) - stay night (trip planned before S/C opened there)
Leg 4 PM - Scotts Head - stay 3 nights (friends)
Leg 5 Scotts Head - Magenta (destin. charger) - stay night
Leg 6 Magenta - Gundagai - stay night
Leg 7 Gundagai - Melb - home!

Around 2700 kms round trip.

We intend to stop at all S/C just to look/see/charge etc

Any suggestions/advice - yes please. (Especially where to stay Gundagai)

Anyone who's on the route and wants a coffee/chat :) - definitely.

We stayed at quite a nice place just south of Gundagai called Hillview Farmstay Hillview Farmstay (Gundagai): See 59 Reviews and 34 Photos - TripAdvisor
Would recommend it, basic but clean and comfortable. Might not be a problem when you go but we found on a Sunday night that nothing was open in Gundagai (we'd planned to drive in to town for dinner) other than fast food. Hillview can provide local meat etc for the bbq though (and wine :) )

Oliver's at the Gundagai supercharger is another good food (and especially coffee) option too. If you stay at Hillview you'll probably be charging there first thing in the morning on your way out of Gundagai (although in a 90 you may not need to depending on what you did the day before!) We'll be crossing your path too/from Bright the week of your trip so depending what day you're coming back to Melbourne exactly we may possibly coincide at Euroa. Not the best place for coffee though :)

Sounds like a fantastic trip, and I totally get your sentiment. I'm feeling these days like I'd rather do a road trip holiday than an overseas holiday. Doing it makes you realise too how much there is to see in our own backyard.

I know I'm not being THAT adventuresome, hugging the supercharger network (chicken) but it's my first foray into the world of electro travel (Buck Rogers and the...) And I agree with your sentiment about holidays.

Next time ... Hmmm lets think about that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to ask at the time why you opted to do that when the supercharger was there. Just to save time first thing in the morning or something?
We came in pretty late, so rather than spending 40-50 mins charging up at the SC, then going to the accommodation and starting the next day at 95%, we spent 20 mins at the SC for a top up to 60 or 70%, then charged the rest of the way over night at the accommodation so we could start the next day at 100%. It was just time saving and a bit of extra juice really. Also the direction we were heading the next morning was the opposite way from the SC, so it would have had to backtrack, and I HATE inefficiency :D