Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Yaaaaaaay! Melbourne to Scotts Head ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was forced to disable the web browser on Australian Model S to get it through Australian Design Regulations so you can't use evtriplanner.com in the car unless you bring a tablet computer.

I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure it wont work on the in car browser even in the USA due to browser incompatibility. Personally, I think it's greatest use is as a pre trip planner anyway.

image.jpeg
Almost ready - plans/reservations made, supplies purchased (snacks) now just clean the car ...
Thanks for all advice received.

Will let you know if we make it (when).

Road Trip !!!!!!!

Reactions: omniwolf and ColinA
Day 1 - Brighton -> Euroa S/C, Glenrowan, Wodonga S/C, Gundagai S/C - most of the day cloudy but warm (up to 28)
(Piccies to come when better iNet access)

Easy start although GPS took us down Sydney Rd(not much traffic as public holiday) after veering from original route in South Melbourne for coffee.

First stop Euroa S/C - a challenge to locate but great convenience stop - fast food varieties, a Coles, toilets and a quick charge top-up

Detour to Glenrowan to learn about Ned Kelly and shop

Next top-up/recharge at Wodona - great location, easy walk to Main Street for cafes etc - had a fast food chicken, chips and salad lunch - nice.

Then on to check-in at the Gundagai Tuckerbox Motel (clean, cheap, eighties style, not very friendly reception although she did let me plug in behind the bbq area-10amp)

While Sher rested, I went the extra 10kms to the Gundagai S/C to grab a half hour charge

Dinner at Gundagai District Service Club (friendly place, cheap and tasty meal - pokies etc) - nearly everything else in town was closed.

One highlight of day - check-out lady asking in Coles at Euroa - "Was there petrol, diesel or gas with this order?" ;)

We shared the driving all day, although I found the Tesla very easy to drive mainly on cruise control with the occasional autopilot punctuation. I'm yet to feel comfortable with letting the Tesla drive itself too much.

Quick observation - the roads in NSW appear marginally worse than those in Vic, but that could be bias on my part.

Photos to come.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Gundagai-Goulburn-Mittagong-Rain

Day 2 - Gundagai -> Jugiong, Gouburn S/C, Bowral, Mittagong, Sydney -
started cloudy 16ish and got worse, culminating in heavy rain from lunchtime onwards

Left Gundagai Tuckerbox Motel after satisfying other travellers questions about the Tesla in the motel's courtyard (curiosity levels high) and headed towards the famous "Dog on a Tuckerbox" memorial - nice although I seem to remember a different story the last time I was here (38 years ago).

Took up PJF000's suggestion and drove next to Jugiong to try the Long Track Pantry for breakfast - note to self - LTP closed Tuesday's! :( Went up the road to Jugiong Roadhouse Cafe. Interesting and filling breakfast - I'll let you decide what interesting means. Nice coffee.

On to Goulburn S/C for a top up charge - one block walk to main street - cafes, shops etc. Bought a cut lunch for later from a bakery. Coffee undrinkable. Began to rain.

Decided to detour to Bowral for swim (laps) - closed for season! (Sharon now in trouble as she researched the pool on the iNet the night before - she said it cancels the Long Track Pantry debacle) - detoured again to try pool at Mittagong which Sharon said would be closed too. Not. :) (1 to me)! Absolutely beautiful! Crystal clear and recently refurbished and surrounded by a gum forrest! We beat them closing for season by five days - next Sunday. Did laps in this picturesque bush setting in the pouring rain. Ate lunch in car - btw NSW - no clue how to make vanilla slices!
Rain intensified and onto Sydney amidst heavy traffic and, at times, blinding rain - not much fun. Mind you, drive from outskirts of Sydney to the hotel (middle of town) was quite easy. I think Melbourne at this time would be a nightmare in comparison. And I had always heard Sydney traffic was bad.

Arrived at Sheraton on the Park hotel (with battery half full) which had organised a car space for me with power in their basement. After checking in, drove to spot only to find power point dead. Nice. Found a power point in an area reserved for disabled parking - concierge told me I could park in one of those. ?? Anyway, 10amps is 10 amps! Hotel seemed keen to please me with power - note to Tesla - opportunity for Destination Charger?

Ate room service as we were both utterly knackered! Will explore Sydney tomorrow.

One highlight of day - sign on wall at the Jugiong Roadhouse Cafe - "Anyone who says the customer is always right has never spent a day behind this counter!" ;)

image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg
Fully charged Again / Toronga Zoo / Trip Stats So Far

Day 3 - Rest Day in Sydney -
Mostly lovely sunny day, rain late afternoon

Tesla safe in the basement of hotel, slowly charging (10amp), should be full around 12.00pm

Leisurely day planned - breakfast in hotel / ferry ride then visit Toronga Zoo (brilliant - highly recommend) / casual lunch at Circular Quays / shopping / dinner with son at QT hotel (Gowings restaurant - highly recommend)

Big leg coming up, Sydney -> Port Macquarie :rolleyes:

One highlight of day - definitely the giraffes - weird incredible animals!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Trip Stats so far / Arrival at Observatory / Bulahdelah / Made It!

Day 5 - Sydney - > Bulahdelah, Port Macquarie - beautiful sunny day, got to 29

Leisurely Breakfast at Sheraton on the park, checkout (few probs with stay but won't winge too much here), and on the road for longest leg of trip.

Thought we'd stop at North Shore Tesla to see mayhem (heard there were over 100 people in queue for reservations for the new model 3) but by the time we got there the place was virtually empty. Tesla had processed everyone very quickly. Topped up while chatting to staff there. Very friendly. Bought some merchandise (of course we did). Had 461km typical to go on with.

After some 10km the Tesla was saying I needed to slow to 95kph to make destination but after another 20 or so the message disappeared. I think we progressed downhill more(?)

Stopped at Bulahdelah for lunch (great hamburger at first cafe (forgot its name).

Arrived at Port Macquarie never really concerned about making distance (64 km to spare and we had made a few diversions for stops etc - about 10kms)

It's a wonderful experience driving this car! Sharon and I share the drive swapping every 100 is or so.

I now can recommend Observatory Hotel - had reserved destination charger for us (secure underground car park) - nice rooms (great views) and good location. Tried scampi restaurant - good meal. Did laps in their pool.

Last leg tomorrow - trip is going too fast.

One highlight of day - fighting with Sharon over who was driving next! :confused: