Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Yaaaaaaay! Melbourne to Scotts Head ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 6 - Port Macquarie to Scotts Head - will report in a few days when Internet reception will improve on return trip! image.png

Reactions: ColinA
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Quick brekkie PM - Cassegrain Winery S/C - Trip stats so far

Day 5 - Port Macquarie - Cassegrain S/C - Scotts Head - beautiful sunny day, got to 30 - easy driving day.

Quick Breakfast at cafe in PM. Checked out from Observatory Hotel. Again - highly recommend!

Drove to Cassegrain supercharger. Quick charge for fun. Great location next to currently being renovated Pacific Highway. Friendly staff. Tasting room, restaurant toilets etc (beware the tasting room) :rolleyes:

Drove onto destination - stay with friends at Scotts Head for three days of fun, sun, food, surfing, sunning and wonderful company! (Sea temp - 26°) Lots of local interest in the Tesla. We should be on the sales team. Even Sharon now answers some of the queries. ("What do you do if you run out of battery?")

Next report - homeward bound :)

One highlight of day - Having a coffee in Cassegrain's restaurant, reading about the winery's history and its owner, John Cassegrain, when Sharon walks out of the tasting room with a half dozen Sav Blancs. A man at the adjoining table makes a friendly remark leading to a long, friendly conversation and he turned out to be the owner. Nice.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Homestead near Scotts Head / Magenta Shores Resort / Destination Charger there / Trip Stats to Date

Day 6 - Scotts Head - Cassegrain Winery S/C - Magenta - partially overcast got to 26

Waved goodbye early. Breakfast at roadside stop on the way. Scotts Head - highly recommend for holiday! A beautiful part of Australia.

Drove to Cassegrain supercharger. Full charge.

Drove onto destination charger at Magenta Shores Resort - nice resort despite rooms being a touch unmaintained and facilities (restaurant and bar) being closed.

One highlight of day - Meeting fellow Model S driver at Cassegrain Supercharger from England. Spoke for ages until washed jout. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
564ks/hr!! - Wodonga (couldn't resist) - trip stats so far

Day 7 - Magenta - Goulburn S/C - Gundagai S/ C - Tumut - nice, got to 29° - homeward bound!

Breakfast early at restaurant in Magenta Shores Resort. Lucky, it was open today. Not the friendliest place I've ever visited. Oh, well. Got a full charge at least. o_O

Straight to Mittagong (shopping for nursery pots) then Goulburn for charge and lunch. Heavy traffic around Sydney.

Tried Roses cafe. Close to charger. Nice! Try the lasagne!

Drove to Gundagai supercharger. Top up charge.

And finished driving at Amaroo Motel in Tumut. New owner - very accomodating, even let us plug in overnight to complete charge. Good and basic accomodation, nice room. Can and did order brekkie. Interested in Destination charging.

One highlight of day - Thai food at the Commercial hotel in Tumut.

image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg
Charging at Amaroo Motel Tumut / Wodonga S/C ?? / Final Stats

Day 10 - Tumut - Wodonga S/C - Euroa S/C - Home. Started fine and high twenties but declined steadily throughout the day to end in rain from Euroa and arriving when Melbourne was 14°.

Begin with brekkie in bed at Amaroo Motel in Tumut. Nice and hospitable motel. Let me top up charge (see photo - sorry Colin).

Drove to Adalong and ventured to the heritage old gold mill and battery. Quite fascinating and worth a visit.

On to Albury to visit the house of my grandmother that I used to visit annually at Xmas when I was a kid (55 years ago). Still there unbelievably. Very nostalgic.

A quick pit stop and charge at Wodonga where I met the local electrical technician who showed his plans of the site.

Back to Euroa for lunch and a charge. Hmmm - chicken souvlaki.

Rest of trip pretty uneventful until 2 blocks from home a message pops up saying low pressure in the front left tyre! Go figure. All that way and then ...

One highlight of today - in coffee shop in Adelong answering that infamous question - "What happens when you run out of charge?" :)

Summary

I loved every aspect of this roadtrip: the company (I hope I didn't bore you too much Sharon with all my talk of watt hours and usage calcs); the places we visited in this wonderful country; the people we met just hankering for information about these beautiful devices (so many times I got the feeling as though we were driving in to a town full of horse and buggys and we were in the first cars); and of course this wonderful vehicle, such a sheer driving pleasure. I miss our Tesla adventure already and can't wait for the next one.

Over 3000 kilometres travelled at an average of 197 Wh/km

Superchargers visited - Euroa / Wodonga / Gundagai / Goulburn / Sydney North / Port Macquarie

Destination Chargers visited - Observatory Hotel / Magenta Shores Resort

Kind motels who let me charge - Tuckerbox Motel in Gundagai South / Amaroo Motel in Tumut

Total Energy Used - 607.6 KWh

Total Emissions - let me see - I'll just get my calculator - hmmm - here it is - ZERO!

Nice trip and a great write-up. Wondered if we'd run in to you at Euroa today but seems we missed you by a couple of days :)
For future reference we stopped at Fowles Winery at Avenel (south of Euroa) as we wanted real food and it was really good! Great food, wine and (surprisingly) coffee. Highly recommended.

Nice tip. Thnx. Planning next trip now but my wife (and me really) doesn't want to go over same turf, so heading off in different directions.

Any ideas?

One half-formed plan is a Great Ocean Road trip as far as say Portland coming back via the inland route with a stop at Brae :) Even in my car starting from Lorne we could do Warnambool (assuming charging somewhere there overnight) then to Portland and an overnight at the destination charger hotel. Haven't explored 3-ph options to make this easier yet, either. Mainly not sure what if anything is worth seeing at those places other than the drive itself! :)

One half-formed plan is a Great Ocean Road trip as far as say Portland coming back via the inland route with a stop at Brae :) Even in my car starting from Lorne we could do Warnambool (assuming charging somewhere there overnight) then to Portland and an overnight at the destination charger hotel. Haven't explored 3-ph options to make this easier yet, either. Mainly not sure what if anything is worth seeing at those places other than the drive itself! :)

Nice idea. I'm thinking it may be a possibility! BTW the drive itself is not too shabby!

Thanks for the daily blog!
What really struck me is that your tesla effectively took you to places and cafe's that maybe you normally wouldn't go to.
I'm more a qantas type traveller, but 'discovering' some of those places sounded like a load of fun.

So true Paulp! I have spent most of my adult life exploring the world to now find that the Tesla has energised me to explore my own backyard. My next trip is already shaping up: Melbourne - Adelaide by the coast and then back through an inland route. A very much more adventurous trip as no superchargers.

I only have one gripe from my last roadtrip: for some reason the 'Dog on the Tuckerbox' story has been changed from the one that I, and everyone I've asked since returning, grew up with.

Does anyone know why?

So true Paulp! I have spent most of my adult life exploring the world to now find that the Tesla has energised me to explore my own backyard. My next trip is already shaping up: Melbourne - Adelaide by the coast and then back through an inland route. A very much more adventurous trip as no superchargers.

I only have one gripe from my last roadtrip: for some reason the 'Dog on the Tuckerbox' story has been changed from the one that I, and everyone I've asked since returning, grew up with.

Does anyone know why?
If you would like the longer journey home (via mildura), there is a place called The Frames at Renmark. They have a destination charger and can be reached from Adelaide. Amazing place to stay.