Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip

Greengolfer

Aug 12, 2016
Highland,CA
I am taking a trip in my S from tha LA area to Albuquerque in June. The fastest route is through Phoenix, up to Payson, and on to route 40 into Albuquerque. Does anyone know anything about the road from phoenix through Payson on to Holbrook. This is the ony leg of the trip where the road might not be so great. It looks like on the map it might be a lot of two way driving. Would anyone recommend a possibly better route? This is my first road trip outside of California(excluding Las Vegas several times). Thanks in advance for your help.

Alset4S

Oct 9, 2018
Illinois
I am taking a trip in my S from tha LA area to Albuquerque in June. The fastest route is through Phoenix, up to Payson, and on to route 40 into Albuquerque. Does anyone know anything about the road from phoenix through Payson on to Holbrook. This is the ony leg of the trip where the road might not be so great. It looks like on the map it might be a lot of two way driving. Would anyone recommend a possibly better route? This is my first road trip outside of California(excluding Las Vegas several times). Thanks in advance for your help.
Google maps shows the fastest route is interstate 40 all the way.

Greengolfer

Aug 12, 2016
Highland,CA
I have a 2014 P85. I have looked at EV trip planner, and the Tesla trip planner. I also learned last night that my trip must go through Palm Springs(to drop off something at in-laws). I guess my only question now would be: Where do I decide to turn from the 10 fwy to head up to the 40?

Alset4S

Oct 9, 2018
Illinois
I have a 2014 P85. I have looked at EV trip planner, and the Tesla trip planner. I also learned last night that my trip must go through Palm Springs(to drop off something at in-laws). I guess my only question now would be: Where do I decide to turn from the 10 fwy to head up to the 40?
Greengolfer you should really get to know Google maps. From Palm Springs take I10 thru Phoenix to Holbrook and I40 to Albuquerque.

Greengolfer

Aug 12, 2016
Highland,CA
Alset4S, My searching shows 2 routes to Holbrook from Phoenix. Going through Payson is definately shorter by miles, but the road looks like it might be a little "iffy". Any thoughts?

Alset4S

Oct 9, 2018
Illinois
Alset4S, My searching shows 2 routes to Holbrook from Phoenix. Going through Payson is definately shorter by miles, but the road looks like it might be a little "iffy". Any thoughts?
Shared route
From Los Angeles to Albuquerque via I-10 E.

11 hr 35 min (791 mi)
11 hr 35 min in current traffic

1. Head southeast on W 1st St toward N Main St
2. Turn left onto N Main St
3. Turn right onto Aliso St
4. Use the left 2 lanes to take the US-101 S ramp to Interstate 10 Fwy E/Interstate 5 Fwy S
5. Merge onto US-101 S
6. Keep left at the fork to continue on San Bernardino Fwy, follow signs for San Bernardino/Interstate 10 E
7. Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 111 for CA-111 toward Palm Springs
8. Continue onto CA-111
9. Turn left onto E Stevens Rd
10. Turn right onto N Indian Canyon Dr
11. Turn left onto E Alejo Rd
12. Arrive at location: Palm Springs

13. Head east on E Alejo Rd toward N Calle Encilia
14. Turn left onto N Farrell Dr
15. Turn right onto E Vista Chino
16. Continue straight to stay on E Vista Chino
17. Use the 2nd from the right lane to turn left onto Date Palm Dr
18. Turn right onto the ramp to I-10 E
19. Merge onto I-10 E
20. Use the right 3 lanes to take exit 147A-147B for AZ-202 Loop E
21. Take exit 13 toward AZ-87 N
22. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto AZ-87 N
23. Turn right onto AZ-260 E
24. Turn left onto AZ-277 N
25. Turn left onto AZ-377 N
26. Turn left onto AZ-77 N
27. Turn right onto the I-40 E ramp
28. Merge onto I-40 E
29. Use the right lane to take exit 159A for 4th St toward University Blvd/Downtown/2nd St
30. Turn right onto 4th St NW
31. Turn left onto McKnight Ave NW
32. Turn right onto 3rd St NW
33. Arrive at location: Albuquerque
For the best route in current traffic visit Google Maps

jkliu47

Apr 30, 2013
Glendale, CA

I have driven to Santa Fe via Albuquerque several times summer and winter in my last 2 Model S's.

Taking 10 to Phoenix then Flagstaff to Albuquerque has been an easy drive with plenty of Superchargers on the way. Bypass downtown Phoenix traffic by taking 101 north then linking back into 17 on the way to Flagstaff.

Haven't tried the route through Payson, but it seems less traveled with 1 (vs 4) Superchargers on the way to Holbrook. And finally, I checked and it literally doesn't save you any driving time. So unless you want to explore a more scenic route (perhaps?) I wouldn't recommend it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC