Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed my first major trip in my new Y. 2148 miles, ranging from Boston to Indy, with stops each way. What was remarkable was how unremarkable it all was. The car performed well, was comfortable, easy (very stable) to drive, and the whole charging thing was a complete non-issue. The car was almost always ready to go by the time I got done getting some refreshment and having a walk at the charging stops. One time the routing software suggested I arrive at a charger with 2% left, it was trivial to add a stop at the charger before that to avoid cutting it close.

I found that the car consistently over-estimated my charge usage; I always had 5-10% more charge remaining than initially projected. I suppose it will become closer with time and experience? I did use the CCA adapter a couple of times to avoid going out of my way to Tesla chargers and that worked just fine as well.

The only really weird braking issue happened when a plastic garbage bag blew across the road in front of me; that was a little too exciting! But I don't think I can blame the car for over-reacting.

Overall, a pleasant and easy trip.

I found that the car consistently over-estimated my charge usage; I always had 5-10% more charge remaining than initially projected. I suppose it will become closer with time and experience? I did use the CCA adapter a couple of times to avoid going out of my way to Tesla chargers and that worked just fine as well.

Congrats on the milestone!

What are your typical driving habits?

My first 6 months was like that as well, but over time it got worse to where it would underestimate and my consumption would always be higher than the expected. Even more notable in winter. I typically drive at the Posted Speed Limit, with the exception of city highways as the speed of traffic is frequently 15-20 over the PSL. I also often sit behind big rigs (max Autopilot following distance) in an attempt to recoup! I also have RallyArmor mudflaps which may be contributing to larger frontal area, but if it's "learning" I would think it would have compensated by now... Perhaps it's due to the fully loaded mass.

Have taken a few road trips in between IN and Raleigh, Kansas, and Florida.

Congrats on the milestone!

What are your typical driving habits?

My first 6 months was like that as well, but over time it got worse to where it would underestimate and my consumption would always be higher than the expected. Even more notable in winter. I typically drive at the Posted Speed Limit, with the exception of city highways as the speed of traffic is frequently 15-20 over the PSL. I also often sit behind big rigs (max Autopilot following distance) in an attempt to recoup! I also have RallyArmor mudflaps which may be contributing to larger frontal area, but if it's "learning" I would think it would have compensated by now... Perhaps it's due to the fully loaded mass.

Have taken a few road trips in between IN and Raleigh, Kansas, and Florida.
This was pretty much all highway, 5-10 mph over the posted limits. Nice weather most of the way.