Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road tripping and charging to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 S75D, with about 21K miles on it. In a few days, I'll be heading on a 2000 mile roadtrip. In the past, I've always charged to 100% right before leaving, then charge as much as I needed at a super charger, then stay at a hotel with a destination charger and charge back up to 100% just before I leave in the morning. But lately I have been re-thinking this...

If I charge to 100% before leaving home and I will get to the first super charger with 25%, would it be better(as it pertains to long term battery health) to just charge to 90% instead at home, and arrive at the charger with 15% instead of 25? So far I have charged to 100% about a dozen times in the 12 months I have had the car.

I mean if I need to get to 70% charge before leaving the first super charger, arriving there with 25% vs 15% will save me some time getting to 70%, right? But I travel with my wife and two kids under 7, so usually my car is ready before we are.

You're overthinking this. Charging to 100% while you sleep or otherwise prepare to depart can only save you time and has essentially zero downside. Why wouldn't you?

Because of the small potential long term degradation of the battery. I'm hoping to keep this car at least 10 years. Will Tesla one day say if you charge to 100% more than 100 times, we are going to cap your battery?

Usually the way I charge to 100% is I will hookup to the charger and lower the amperage until the amount of time to charge lines up with when I want to leave in the morning. Or sometimes during the warmer months I will just set the limit to 90% and let it start charging right when I arrive, and then charge that last 10% when I am packing up and getting ready to leave the hotel.

I don't see lack of regen as being a downside in this circumstance, because I usually just hop right on the highway and go. I'll hit maybe two or three stoplights.

Charging to 100% causes some degradation of the battery. There is no point charging to 100% before a trip if you plan to hit the Supercharger at 25%, unless there are concerns about unforeseen detours, weather, etc. Besides, you will charge faster the lower your SoC is.

Of course, if you need 100% you need 100%, but don't do it unless you need it. So do your alternate charging pan. Try using A Better Route Planner for a more detailed charging protocol.

Because of the small potential long term degradation of the battery. I'm hoping to keep this car at least 10 years. Will Tesla one day say if you charge to 100% more than 100 times, we are going to cap your battery?

This is the overthinking it part.

But if your time is worth that security to you, then I suppose that's a calculation only you can make.

hmmm, is that a new thing about no regen until 90%? That is not what is happening in my car. I get regen after just a few miles when the car is still greater than 95%.

Second that. I thought it was roughly 95%, unless super duper cold.

As for OP, supposedly 100% SOC or frequent Supercharger use are both detrimental to long term battery health, so pick your poison. I get what you're saying, but I'd rather do the gentle charge to 100% at home versus additional time doing high-rate Supercharging. Plus, I'd rather have the additional 10% buffer for unanticipated issues (weather, detours, etc.). What some others have done is speed up as you get closer to the Supercharger to deliberately consume more battery. This allowed folks to save time by driving faster as they approached the Supercharger, but there's always the added risk of a traffic ticket that will cost you both time and money. Safe travels on your road trip!

You might get some regen at 95%, but you won't get full regen until your battery gets into the mid 80's, assuming your battery is warm.
Hmmm, ok, but that is not what I am seeing. I start noticing partial regen as soon as 97% and full regen at 95%. Not sure what your difference is, but that is definitely what I see. And for what it is worth, I don't have many experiments at this. I only charge to close to 100% when sometimes I am ready to leave on a very long trip. Maybe you are thinking colder temperatures. ONCE in the winter I noticed I did not get full regen until after about 30 minutes of driving and getting under 85%. It was really cold. But in the summer, I have always gotten full regen in just a few miles regardless of state of charge.

Usually the way I charge to 100% is I will hookup to the charger and lower the amperage until the amount of time to charge lines up with when I want to leave in the morning. Or sometimes during the warmer months I will just set the limit to 90% and let it start charging right when I arrive, and then charge that last 10% when I am packing up and getting ready to leave the hotel.

I don't see lack of regen as being a downside in this circumstance, because I usually just hop right on the highway and go. I'll hit maybe two or three stoplights.
From what we know of this thread, it is likely that Tesla will be munging around with your car, especially in a span of 10 years. There's simply no way of guessing exactly how or what they will do, so all your efforts may (probably) be in vain, anyway. You paid for the full battery, i would say to use (not abuse) it while you can.

You're overthinking this. Charging to 100% while you sleep or otherwise prepare to depart can only save you time and has essentially zero downside. Why wouldn't you?

The point is that often charging to 100%, even while sleeping, doesn't save you any time at all. Getting to a SC with more charge than you need doesn't save any time, unless a higher charge let's you skip or change the charging stations.

The point is that often charging to 100%, even while sleeping, doesn't save you any time at all. Getting to a SC with more charge than you need doesn't save any time, unless a higher charge let's you skip or change the charging stations.

I'm not sure why so many people think this, because it's easy to show this is always false. It will ALWAYS save you required charging time to depart for the day with a higher state of charge.

Scenario 1: Charge to 100% overnight, arrive at first charging station with 30% left. 80% charge needed to reach next charging station. Charge from 30% to 80%.

Scenario 2: Charge to 90% overnight, arrive at first charging station with 20% left. 80% charge needed to reach next charging station. Charge from 20% to 80%.

It might be small, it may even be inconsequential if you're planning for a longer stop anyway, but you can say with absolute certainty that all other things being equal, it takes longer to charge from 20% to 80% than it does to charge from 30% to 80%.

I gotta agree with ucmndd. It is going to take less time to get from 30 to 80 than it is 20 to 80. But you would only get this time gain at the first charging session.

Here's the stats on my scenario, as calculated by a better route planner. 127 miles from home to the first supercharger, which will take me from 100% to 20% charge. I will spend 21 minutes charging to 68%. If instead I charge at home to 95% and arrive at the charger with 15%, I will have to spend 23 minutes charging. So I can avoid charging to 100% by spending two more minutes charging at the supercharger. Most of the time when charging for shorter periods of time, the car is ready before we are anyway.

Am I better off just charging to 95% at home before departing and waiting two more minutes at the first charger(not really, because I doubt I will be ready anyway)? If something does go wrong with the estimation, I pass two superchargers on the way to my first planned charging stop.

But on the other hand, it might not be a bad idea to run my battery from 100% down to 15 or 20%, because I have not done a deep discharge like that in months.

Just finished a 7800-mile road trip, and I did the 100% at night, it is a piece of mind when starting out, and in cold weather. I only did 90% or what I needed to get to next charger on the rout when driving (or a bit more if we stopped to eat). I have had a battery test by Tesla, and they say my battery is in great shape for a 2016 90D and seem to be treating it right. Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy the ride.

An efficient trip will have you charging to 100% when charging overnight, and to less than 80% in Superchargers along the way.
This is because charging speed will taper as your get closer to full.

You will get a note on your display if Tesla determines you have been charging higher than is good for your battery. You can adapt another strategy at that point.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
I charge to 97-98%. It is still charging as I want to leave, and the cabin is cooled/heated. I don't think there is any real damage to the battery, especially if you don't leave it fully charged just sitting there. And then I want to save time at the next stop. This is only if I am really in a rush. I don't worry too much about the regen, as I am usually on a highway pretty quick where regen has less benefit.

Normal state before a road trip, I just leave with whatever charge I have. I have a family of 5, and a ton of charging options after the first few hours of driving, where someone is going to want to stop for some reason....