Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trips and Cargo Pods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He did make a comparison trip video
with no thule box and thule box and car loaded running higher heat, the difference was about 15%.

As you said, road conditions, weather will have bigger effect on economy.
So an unloaded car vs loaded with cargo pod and people was overall about 15%, so if I use EV trip planner to figure the kwh required and reduce range by 15% that should be pretty safe from this guy did?

So an unloaded car vs loaded with cargo pod and people was overall about 15%, so if I use EV trip planner to figure the kwh required and reduce range by 15% that should be pretty safe from this guy did?
Maybe / maybe not @NovoCasGreeny . The whole thing is not that exact. Some days you will go through heaps of power and be forced down to a crawl to make the long stretch that looked OK. Some days under seemingly identical driving conditions you will get amazing economy.

Is it the wind speed and direction? Again how would you really know given the hills, trees and turns in the road and does the actual wind match forecast?

Last edited:
I'd be more inclined to adjust evtripplanner to show that you are driving faster than you actually are, since the real effect is to increase drag at high speeds. As for how much to increase it by? I'd be guessing. As RichardMcN pointed out it can vary quite a lot with wind speed, direction, the efficiency of the box on the roof plus the speed that you are going. The effect will be dramatically more at 110 than it is at 80.

I'd be more inclined to adjust evtripplanner to show that you are driving faster than you actually are, since the real effect is to increase drag at high speeds. As for how much to increase it by? I'd be guessing. As RichardMcN pointed out it can vary quite a lot with wind speed, direction, the efficiency of the box on the roof plus the speed that you are going. The effect will be dramatically more at 110 than it is at 80.
I don't think I will be travelling at 110, not even close but yes I expected as with many things in fluid dynamics it would not be a linear relationship. I was just looking for a roughy based on peoples experiences as currently I have no experience of the range and I am adding some significant uncontrolled issues to that almost immediately.

Last edited:
Seems there is an extra amount to pay to get it to fit Whisp bars. For that reason, it may be better to go with one of the same brand? Unless you go with Thule roof rack, which, I guess can be fitted as mine was by trial and error.
They have Thule bars appropriate for it. I'll probably get the set and haggle in a discount for it. They'll fit it for me if I want but I'll be keen to have a chop myself, although I am going to be seriously pressed for time as I have to move out of my house the next day and then head 4 hours up the coast the following day!!

Fitting means finding the correct bolt length and pad size/ height. Actually attaching to your roof and setting the length of the bars is not a big deal. Also the front and rear bars are different lengths, since the roof line tapers. Buying the kit from Tesla of course means all that is already done for you.
However, I went the other way and bought from roof rack world.
I take the racks off my roof quite regularly when they are not going to be in use for extended periods. So, that kind of fitting is no deal at all. Takes me 10 mins or so to attach.

Fitting means finding the correct bolt length and pad size/ height. Actually attaching to your roof and setting the length of the bars is not a big deal. Also the front and rear bars are different lengths, since the roof line tapers. Buying the kit from Tesla of course means all that is already done for you.
However, I went the other way and bought from roof rack world.
I take the racks off my roof quite regularly when they are not going to be in use for extended periods. So, that kind of fitting is no deal at all. Takes me 10 mins or so to attach.
Paul at Roof Rack world seemed to know what he was talking about and was quite happy to have a chat about what might/might not work with regards to cargo pods. Hopefully they have the selection part all sorted. He was quite confident that they had everything in stock that was required.

Reactions: RichardMcN
I actually just realised the leg I was worried most about was from Port to Maca Castle, however, we are actually staying in Kempsey which is 50 km north of Port and just off the highway so the point to point distance is 330 km form Kempsey to Maca Castle......I am no longer worried, cargo pod or not!!

Reactions: RichardMcN
So, for those of you that were interested I averaged around 215 Wh/Km with a cargo pod (big one too) and a car full of people/stuff in a P90D from Newcastle to Kempsey, in fact the roof box was on for the first 1300 km and the car is averaging 215 wh/km (which included lots of 'fun' driving in my first few hours of having the power...I mean car). It is a little noisy but not overly and great to be able to add a little extra room to the car. In all we fitted one tasmanian oak cot, one stokke highchair, a pram, change table, clothes for a one year old with lots of spare stuff (in a giant suitcase!!!) and clothes/shoes/electronics/books/pillows for my wife and I, a golden retriever and all his food/towels/bed and a few bags of odds and ends from the rental house we moved out of the day we headed on our trip.

I went for this roof box Thule Australia » Products » Roof Boxes » 611907 Thule Excellence Titan Gloss as the size was needed to fit my daughter's cot and mattress and this Whispbar set Whispbar S17WB Black Through bar Pack | Instore, Online, Free Shipping!.

A couple of points to note for others- the boot door cannot fully open so I have it set in a modified position to stop the travel about 100 mm short and the sun roof just touches the roof box, enough to put a line in the dust but not enough to mark/damage the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888