TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Road trips continue to be awesome in this car

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by kirkbauer, Jun 19, 2018.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I have owned my P85D for 3 years now but have only done a few road trips. I'm just used to flying places. But as I do more of them in the Tesla, I think I learn that they are much better than in a "normal" car.

My last trip was 12 hours (including charging) each way. It was great. I think Autopilot is a big part of it, taking a lot of strain off of the driver. The other part of it is effectively being forced to take breaks. Some people may do that naturally, but I don't.

For example, I probably could have done the drive in a bit under 10 hours in a gas car. I would have taken very few breaks, just enough to get fuel, hit the restroom, and get drive-through food. I'm the kind of person who will sacrifice comforts like leisurely stops in order to get there quicker. And drive as fast as I can get away with. But in the Tesla, driving 90mph doesn't work all that well at getting you there quicker on a road trip. And I can plan my stops to make a long one (~1 hour) instead of two short ones, to allow for a nice sit-down meal.

In the end, after a 12 hour drive, I arrive feeling fresh and relaxed. It's quite nice. Except for the new nagging. At one point, even though I was holding the steering wheel and heard NO audible alerts (nor did I see the visible alerts because I was looking at the road... what a concept!), the car disabled AutoPilot for that leg of the trip. Another time I accidentally disabled AutoPilot by putting too much torque on the wheel to get the nag to go away, almost putting me into another lane. As a note, going forward, I ended up taking my eyes off of the road in order to look down to see when the nag goes away so I don't put too much pressure on the wheel.

• Like x 5
  2. RLC3

RLC3 Member

I believe you can re-enable AutoPilot by pulling over, putting the car in park, and back into drive.

• Like x 1
  3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Yes, I believe so as well. In this case I was <10mi from the next stop so I just drove manually the rest of the way.

4. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

Could not agree more - a real game changer! We just did 5,700 miles in 17 days and loved the pace. Wife really appreciates hotel bathrooms vs convenience store bathrooms. Some really cool supercharger locations, like this 1950s restored refueling station on "Route 66" that only serves up electrons now: 20180606_184828.jpg
    ((also in the Pixar Cars movie)).

• Like x 2
  5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

There was also discussion that rebooting the computers would reset the lockout, but I haven't seen that confirmed.

• Informative x 1
  6. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

#6 Russell, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    What's the name of that place? Nvm, found it The CONOCO Tower Station and U-Drop Inn Café

• Like x 1