Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road/wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, 2 questions.
1. When I test drove a model 3 more than an year back, the most glaring thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the road+wind noise at 60mph+.
Has Tesla done anything to improve that?
2. I was reading in one of the forums that the Tesla model 3 premium audio is not what it used to be at the launch. Can’t recollect where. But, any truth to it.

Because, given how much fun it was to test drive it, my only 2 asks at this point are a quite cabin and a very good audio package.

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Dog lover 1
1. When I test drove a model 3 more than an year back, the most glaring thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the road+wind noise at 60mph+.
Nothing major.
2. I was reading in one of the forums that the Tesla model 3 premium audio is not what it used to be at the launch. Can’t recollect where. But, any truth to it.
The lowest trim level (SR+) now has a "partial premium" interior which does not include the subwoofer and has some of the other speakers disabled. The higher trim levels have the same audio system as before.

Folks, 2 questions.

Because, given how much fun it was to test drive it, my only 2 asks at this point are a quite cabin and a very good audio package.

Thanks

The road wind noise seems fine to be. Same as ICE cars but you hear more wind/road noise because there is no engine/exhaust noise. The noise is not offensive. If you had whistling coming in through windows seals or some other offensive sound then I would get it but it is just your run of the mill wind and tire noise.

The audio system is fantastic. One of the best factory systems I have ever heard.

When I test drove a single-motor last year, I remember the wind noise being quite loud. However, my P3D is incredibly silent on the road, and the car is only about a week old. Even my wife commented and said it was much quieter than she remembered, and this was driving the exact stretch that I had done my test drive on. For reference, it sounds practically silent on the freeway when compared to my wife's 2017 Toyota Corolla.

I was even prepared with a noise-reducing kit from Amazon when I took delivery, but just sent it back due to how quiet the car is. Maybe I'm just lucky, because I hear people complain about wind noise quite often.

I was reading in one of the forums that the Tesla model 3 premium audio is not what it used to be at the launch. Can’t recollect where. But, any truth to it.

You will find a lot of negative characterizations you see on forums about the Model 3 is put there to try to harm Tesla by discouraging sales. In other words, a lot of it is false. Tesla has not changed the Premium Audio and it still sounds great. One of the nicest sounding factory stereos available at any price point.

Reactions: Kilotango74
SR+ owner here...
I purchased without ever driving one, and was very surprised to find there is a great deal of road noise. In comparison, our older Lexus EX330 is much quieter on the road.
Experience tells me that much of this has to do with the tires, but there is a great deal of noise that is heard 'higher' in the Tesla around all the windows, so I doubt that a different tire would make huge difference.
Regarding the sound system; the standard sound in the SR+ would certainly be a disappointment to anyone wanting a rockin' stereo, but I'm more of a podcast guy so I don't mind it one bit.
All this said, I still giggle inside every time I drive the car and can't imagine ever buying anything else!

I hear a really irritating noise at 90+ mph that sounds like it’s coming from the area where the windshield meets that roof panel glass. I would describe it as a sort of clicking or chirping sound. I’ve been meaning to ask if others have the same issue and also ask TESLA when I have a chance.

The car is 2 months old and this has been occurring since delivery. I’m thinking maybe it’s coming from the small gap between the two glass panels and perhaps there’s a way to fill in the gap?

PS This is my fourth EV since 2011 and my first TESLA. You all know this already: the car is effing amazing. My only mistake is that I didn’t pony up for the performance version.

I hear a really irritating noise at 90+ mph that sounds like it’s coming from the area where the windshield meets that roof panel glass..
This is specifically where I hear WIND noise but it is not as you describe. It is distinctly wind, not tires or road surface etc, but wind over 60mph. Those saying it is due to no engine or exhaust noise to drown it are wrong. You can drive any 4 or even some 6cyl ICE cars at 60-70mph and not tell they are running inside by sound alone. If you let off the accelerator the wind noise doesn't all of the sudden become evident on an ICE car either. Unless of course the design has a wind noise suppression issue in the design that is :rolleyes: .

Folks, 2 questions.

Thanks

I purchased a door seal kit, wind and road noise had reduced. I am looking to get extra seal for the funk, trunk and the top to reduce noise further. The kit cost $50 but require 2 person to install.

Have you ever been able to compare what changes on the S help reduce noise as compared to the 3?
Seems to come mailing from the the front fenders and bottom of windshield in my 3. Also driver window seal by the mirror is an issue due to small deformation in the seal. I am sure the S gets more sound insulation materials. Or one would hope from a 100K ish car.

Reactions: superfunk