TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roader 1.5 #124 MOTOR FAILURE at 20K miles

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by scapescape, Apr 7, 2015.

1. scapescape

scapescape Member

Looking for new engine after Tesla Burlingame informed of intermittent internal fault in engine. Out of warranty, so looking at 9-10k unless can find used. Obviously my trade-in plan is lost.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Sorry to hear about that... :crying:

(I think it is preferable to call it a motor not an engine.)

4. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#5 TEG, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. scapescape

scapescape Member

Sorry - yes it's #124 and it is a motor not an engine - no IC retrofit. Happened all of a sudden - 2 quick jerking movements like I was 'rear ended' ... then it was fine. Drove it 160 miles north with no problem. Thought it might be a loose cable, but they really don't know what it is - just that it's an internal motor fault.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#7 TEG, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    How many miles were on it when you bought it?

8. scapescape

scapescape Member

I bought it several years ago at 9K miles.

More bad news. Was just informed that Tesla will no longer remanufacture roadster motors ... only new replacements will be offered

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#9 ecarfan, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
    Ver sorry to hear your bad news. What price is Tesla quoting you for a new Roadster motor including installation?

10. scapescape

scapescape Member

Approximately $9,500 w install

11. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Can you turn on the car put the car into any other gear other than park (or tow mode), and push the car by hand?

So after the hiccup you still able to drive 160 miles without issue? If that happened to me I would think the mechanical part of the motor is fine, and that a temperature/encoder sensor issue or loose/shorted wire be the issue. Maybe you can ask to just replace the encoder on the motor and maybe also the wire-harness from the motor to the PEM.

12. scapescape

scapescape Member

Hmm didn't try that.

Tesla Burlingame made it sound like the only option was new motor replacement, so I'll ask about the encoder and harness. Thanks for the tip

13. scapescape

scapescape Member

Update: spoke to shop foreman. Definitely internal motor issue - only happens at hard acceleration for now. Asked if it was something I did wrong ... he said probably not, just 'happens' sometimes.

Don't have much choice but to fix it for 9K. Wondering if any roadster owners would be interested in buying old motor core. Shipping could be prohibitive.

14. scapescape

scapescape Member

Update 2: Decided to repair Roadster at Tesla Burlingame. Shop foreman has seen this roadster motor problem about 6 times in last 6 years. Don't know if it's more common in 1.5 v. 2.0. New, uninstalled motor itself is $7525. I'm working on saving the core in case this happens to another roadster owner ... but it's about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and heavy.

15. bart513

bart513 Member

You can definitely save some money by having a knowledegable Roadster mechanic (past or present) rebuild it for you. OK I'll be quiet now....:tongue:

16. ecarfan

@bart513, how would one find such a person, and what sort of warranty would they offer on their work? Seriously, I would like to know.

17. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

Do you have any pictures of the damage? Is the static or the rotating part damaged?
    Everything else should be replaceable.

18. scapescape

scapescape Member

They said they wouldn't take it apart so hard to say. 1 year warranty on the motor, so I'll plan to sell it before the end. Yeah, I was tempted to look into shipping it to a knowledgable repairman ... But need it back for now, and covered shipping is pretty expensive even though the final total would have been much less.

Must say I'm bummed. Car has been awesome up to now. I've bragged about it's virtual zero maintenance. Still wonder if it could have been user fault, power surge charging, etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

The foreman thinks it's a short in the copper coil

19. scapescape

scapescape Member

New motor is in. I'm looking to sell the old one for $3750 -(1/2 the cost of new once at 7.5k) - or 3k if someone is interested in repairing themselves. Unfortunately it's a mystery box; sounds like it needs coils rewound since it was still working and would only quit at high 'rev', but could be something else.

20. ecarfan

Glad to hear your Roadster is fixed. So how much was the total cost: motor plus installation labor?