Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

roadside assistance after warranty expiration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i decided to let my warranty expire when i hit 50k miles after 3 years and not buy the extended service contract. i figured with the unlimited mile power train and battery warranty that was enough protection from expensive repairs.

my question is, i guess i need to buy new roadside assistance coverage? seems like this is worth having without a spare tire, possibility of running out of battery, etc.

does anybody have any recommendations for "tesla friendly" companies to buy this from? kansas city area.

Encountered this issue with our classic P85 on a trip through Kansas.

The frunk lid latch failed when we were at the Salina supercharger, and Tesla didn't recommend we attempt driving the car. Instead, they recommended we have the car towed to the KC service center, and because we were outside of the original 4 year/50K mile warranty (didn't matter that we had purchased the extended warranty/service plan), we would be responsible for the towing charges.

Fortunately, our insurance covered the towing, and also 2 days of rental car (since the failure happened on Saturday and Tesla couldn't fix it until Monday).

Tesla could do more to communicate this to owners - and remind them about the loss of roadside coverage after the original warranty expires.

It didn't end up impacting us, because our insurance covered it. But anyone without towing coverage in their policy, they could be in for a large bill if something happens and they have to get their car towed a long distance during a road trip. [We only had 180 miles for our detour.]

Reactions: joebiker25