TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadside Assistance AFTER warranty...

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by nowtleft, Jun 21, 2018.

1. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

I have just added 2 years extra warranty at £1600 (not cheap!) but Tesla does not offer extended roadside assistance as part of the warranty OR as charges for extra. This is crazy as in the UK oyr "normal" roadside assistance would not carry a spare wheel or know much about Tesla cars.

I asked Tesla about the problem and received this response:
    "
    Dear mister Mason,

Thank you for contacting us at Executive Care.
    I understand that it is frustrating to not be able to purchase extra Roadside Assistance. Unfortunate we don't offer this at this time but I will make a feature request under your name and send this over to the US to see if they might be able to make it possible in the future. There will be no response on this request but when they see that this is needed and our customers ask for it they will try to implement this.

My personal advise for now will be that in case of a Roadside you can always call Roadside Assistance to ask for the preferred tow provider in that area. Most of them also work for AA, so they might be able to cover it if you are a member of AA. Otherwise Roadside can also arrange assistance for you but you have to pay on the spot with the tow provider."

I think that enough of us write to Tesla via the "escalate" button on our own cars page we may get Tesla to add this in with the warranty cover or be added as a charged for extra.

I am happy to keep my Model S to 6 years old and pay the extended warranty but feel that Tesla is letting its customers down by stopping any form of recovery.

Please can anyone reading this spend 2 minutes escalating the issue to Tesla as it will become a huge issue going forwards.

2. The Duke

The Duke Member

Let's start with a misconception, you did not buy a Toyota. You chose to buy a Tesla and like any manufacturer with a small number of cars on the road, support will be harder to find. The good news is that other than the propulsion Teslas are quite mundane. The bad news is you may need to learn a bit about your car so mechanics don't hurt it. The following is what I had to know after the Pantera warranty expired, Tesla has pretty much the same list.
    1) learn your jack points
    2) learn to jump the 12V battery
    3) learn what can go wrong when loading the car on a flatbed tow truck especially how to put the tow eye in and setting tow mode
    4) learn what tires you can use (rolling circumference within a few percent) in case you have to pick up a used tire to limp home

Not too bad actually, or you can lease/buy a new one
    At least you don't have
    An oil change for the Bugatti Veyron costs more than your entire car | Roadtrippers

3. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

The point is that Tesla has the network and should NOT simply drop customers who choose the ONLY way to not lose a fortune on a Tesla and keep it for 6 years plus. I know the jack points, have a new Tesla fitted 12v battery do not feel it is any of my business how a recoverer loads my car on a tow truck and have new wheels with tyres at home.
    I also do not wish to waste any more money on leases or cash on buying a new Tesla and losing half of it when I take delivery - I am HAPPY to have an older Tesla which TBH is as good as a new one (if not better!!).
    I just feel that for the small chance of needing recovery Tesla should either offer it as included in the extended warranty or charge say £50 a year for the recovery package.

This will affect more and more sensible people who do not lease/buy a new Tesla every 2 or 3 years and the issue should be addressed.
    Tesla's are a GREAT long term investment but we do need a safety net!

The AA in the UK say that they have the facilities to deal with Tesla's (since I posted this) but I would prefer to have the Tesla recovcery team at my side:)