Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside assistance don’t seem to answer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilipUK

Aug 12, 2017
Uk
Burst a tire today, thankfully near my house. I have learned 2 things:

No one stocks the 19” standard tire in Southampton
Tesla roadside assistance don’t seem to answer, tried twice now been on hold for over an hour.

What is others experience? Is this normal?

Flat tyres are not a Tesla issue, Tesla make cars not tyres.

A breakdown service will assist getting you to a tyre establishment, any tyre place will do.

Don't let them fob you off just because it is a Tesla, the tyres are no different, even the 'foam filled acoustic' tyres can be repaired.

If it is just a nail or screw and not near the edge of the tyre they are repairable with on of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/wlw-Xtreme...&qid=1527924886&sr=8-1&keywords=tyre+plug+kit

Just carry a 12v Tyre pump in the boot to help you out.

My previous experience was that Roadside assistance did answer the phone, and then called back with the info that QuickFit 50 miles away had the 19" tyre in stock. I had meantime put air in the tyre and it was only leaking slowly so I drove carefully to a local tyre place who repaired the existing tyre.

Tesla used to have a loan wheel arrangement - if you were within 50 miles of a service centre (I wasn't) they would bring you a spare wheel which you would return after you had your own fixed. I've no idea if this is still operating.

Reactions: Terry_B58
Hi all

My experience has been the same as PhilipUK's.

I tried to report a faulty supercharger, making two phone calls.
The first call hung up after a long time. I dialled again and it rang for about 10 minutes before I gave up.
Total time about 40 minutes.

I emailed the fault when I got home, and in that email complained about the lack of telephone answer.
I forgot all about it but received a reply to my email just the other day .... very nearly 2 months after I sent it.

That's my only experience.
I hope I never need to use them for any reason that's left me stranded.

I hope I never need to use them for any reason that's left me stranded.

Tesla don’t have the resources to provide a recovery service, and their very well intentioned warranty related recovery and puncture call out service lacks reliability as a consequence. Many owners, myself included, have bought an AA/RAC roadside recovery package for this very reason.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
AA/RAC roadside recovery package

Is that a specific Tesla addon-thing? or just the normal "Rescue me" AA/RAC service?

I've had RAC since back when Pontius was a Pilot ... can't remember the last time I needed it (that's no doubt tempting fate!) but I'd be happy to upgrade it if there is some additional option available.

Haven't had a spare tyre in any car I've owned for a decade, maybe more,supposedly to save carting that extra weight around all the time ... I take a Winter tyre (in Summer, vice versa in Winter) if I go on a long trip, and I have 12V Pump and bottle of gunge in the car, but a ripped sidewall is going to leave me stranded ...

There is a thread on TMC about suitable space saver tyres (a BMW one IIRC), but I imagine even a space saver will take up actual cargo space.

After a towing experience (failed A/C, told not to drive it, car and parts still at MK service centre awaiting repair three weeks later), I can confirm accuracy of the Tesla Roadside assistance policy.

“A trained Tesla tow provider cannot be guaranteed” and “It is your responsibility to provide vehicle transporters with the instructions provided in your vehicles Quick Guide, and to ensure that your vehicle is transported appropriately. You may call the Roadside Assistance number for assistance with proper towing procedures”.

All correct. Very helpful guy from third party tow company knew Tow Mode should be set but not how. He had no clue about how where to find the tow point (tow eye is in the red package in the frunk, prise off small tow hook cover panel to right of grill below frunk, insert tow eye and turn counter-clockwise).

Later, they called me for directions to the service centre - the driver was orbiting the Milton Keynes Tesla showroom, which is buried deep in a shopping centre, looking for the way in.

Actually I had a really good Tesla Roadside Assistance experience (well, assuming you can find anything about having to call for help "good")...

On the way to the service centre for the annual checkup, something went in the side of my tyre and really badly ripped the sidewall - a huge whoosh of air and I'm suddenly leaning to the right... ah, bugger...

I managed to roll slowly into a parking space and called Roadside Assistance. A very helpful chap answered almost straight away, said he'd phone around to find a loaner tyre and if he couldn't find one he'd arrange a flatbed to take the car to the service centre to get a new tyre switched out. He called straight back saying that the nearby shops didn't have the right kind of tyre, and a loaner tyre would be almost as much hassle to sort... so might as well get it done right and take it in. He'd also phoned the Tesla Service Centre to let them know I'd be late for the appointment. 90 minutes later a nice bloke with a flatbed shows up and pops the car on the back. The next thing I know, the car is in the service centre being fitted with a new tyre and getting its annual service. They arranged an Uber to get me back home, and drove the car back to my house the next day (it was a bit late in the day by the time the car got to the service centre, so it stayed there overnight). They also washed and vacuumed it.

Pretty stunning service really!

Actually I had a really good Tesla Roadside Assistance experience (well, assuming you can find anything about having to call for help "good")...

On the way to the service centre for the annual checkup, something went in the side of my tyre and really badly ripped the sidewall - a huge whoosh of air and I'm suddenly leaning to the right... ah, bugger...

I managed to roll slowly into a parking space and called Roadside Assistance. A very helpful chap answered almost straight away, said he'd phone around to find a loaner tyre and if he couldn't find one he'd arrange a flatbed to take the car to the service centre to get a new tyre switched out. He called straight back saying that the nearby shops didn't have the right kind of tyre, and a loaner tyre would be almost as much hassle to sort... so might as well get it done right and take it in. He'd also phoned the Tesla Service Centre to let them know I'd be late for the appointment. 90 minutes later a nice bloke with a flatbed shows up and pops the car on the back. The next thing I know, the car is in the service centre being fitted with a new tyre and getting its annual service. They arranged an Uber to get me back home, and drove the car back to my house the next day (it was a bit late in the day by the time the car got to the service centre, so it stayed there overnight). They also washed and vacuumed it.

Pretty stunning service really!

Wow! If Carlsberg did roadside assistance....

If Carlsberg did roadside assistance....

I left my wallet and house keys in the car when dropped off and swapped for a loaner. Tesla sent a driver to my house (a good 2 hours each-way) to drop them off.

Admittedly Tesla would have been slightly on the back-foot because of the reasons why my car was there, and the muddle that ensued contributed to me leaving the things in the car, but still my own fault.

I very much appreciated Tesla doing that (rather than sending them with a courier)