TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadside Assistance Experience and Blown Tire

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NewTMSMan, May 12, 2018.

1. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Well, managed to blow the right driver's side tire on my S in a massive pothole on the highway in NJ. Minor wheel damage as well. Call Roadside Assistance and they were very helpful, but I was a bit surprised they have no way to locate my vehicle. Tesla should add the ability to send the vehicle location even if they say they cannot access or track it normally, I was at a strange spot on a service road so difficult for me to give my location.

They sent out a service truck with a spare wheel for me, which was great, much better than flat bedding my car for a flat. The only problem I had was it was a 90+ minute wait. They told me immediately it would take that long, and they were very accurate and followed up after the tire was changed to make sure everything was OK, so the experience was pretty good except for the wait. I was in the middle of NJ just off a major highway (78), so have to wonder if I was more remote how long it would have taken.

Anyway, experience was generally good, just annoyed at myself for hitting that pothole. I was in AP at the time and changing lanes, but definitely my fault for hitting it. Oh well, now just have to get the new tire and the wheel repaired. Waiting to see what service the SC offers and what I have to take care of myself as the wheel was taken to my local SC.

• Like x 1
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Similar experience last month. Happy with Tesla but just glad it happened in the city (I spend a lot of time out of town).

So now the full size spare tire that's been stored in the garage since I got the car now lives in the trunk. Just in case... :)

• Like x 1
  3. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

I have a Slime Kit leftover from a BMW I had without a spare (originally had run-flats, but the ride was terrible so I switched them out). Thinking I throw that in the trunk now just in case. Not the best solution, but keeps me from being stranded.

As an aside, wonder why Tesla doesn't use run-flats. With the air suspension I would imagine it would not be tough to re-calibrate the ride and use them.

4. Upscaleman

Upscaleman Member

90 minute wait? First tow truck?

5. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

I have no idea what that question means, but 90 minute+ wait because you have a flat tire is the issue. If I really needed a tow truck then 90 minutes is not a big deal. 2 hours from start to finish to change a flat is too long.

Spoke with Tesla and cars are actually too heavy for run flats.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

For those considering carrying a spare: A while back some technicians at the local (Salt Lake) service center were kind enough to conduct a mini-class for me on how to jack the car and change a tire. They used my jack and tools to jack the car, remove and reinstall a tire. Great folks. I do carry a plug kit and a slime kit and inflator for small leaks but it's nice to know I've got a real spare just in case a tire is not repairable.

BTW, while going through the jacking procedure they cautioned me (pretty strongly, actually) against using the small blocks I've seen some people recommend to put between the jack and the car. They don't use them and said I shouldn't either. Much better to use a jack with the right size head that fits directly on the rubber jack pads built into the car.

• Like x 1
  7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Tesla does not have access to the Car's GPS locator for obvious privacy/security reasons. That being said, other vehicles do support it (onstar, Toyota connect etc..) so I guess its not that far fetched.

Does anyone have experience with the Tesla tire repair kit/pump? I keep that in the trunk for situations like these. Judging by the OP's damage though, probably wouldn't have worked in this situation though.