Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside Assistance - First Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my LR MX for about 2 months. I absolutely love driving the car, although I'm still having difficulty judging the distance to the curb. I've curbed the rims twice already. Today I pulled over to the side of the road to check something out, and didn't realize I was within an inch of the cobble stone edging. I backed up a little, and the tire pressure warning light came on. I punctured the side wall of the tire - there's about a 1.5" hole! I drove about 50 feet to a safe area, and called Tesla Service. No humans available, you have to request service from the Tesla App. No, I wasn't happy about that, but I didn't have much choice. I figured the rest of my day was lost, and this was going to be a real PITA. I entered my information into the Tesla App at 3:50 PM. Within 5 minutes, I received a text from Tesla, acknowledging my request for roadside assistance. A few minutes later, I received a text stating that Roadside Assistance (actually, a private company working for Tesla) would be at my car within 55 minutes. They will loan me a tire and a rim, install it on my car, and I'll have to go to the Service Center to pick up my new tire and have it installed. Sounds like a great idea to me! The Tesla Roadside guy shows up, tells me to put the car in JACK mode, jacks up the car, removes my wheel, puts on the loaner (the rim is painted red because people used to keep the loaners!), has me turn off Jack mode, and we're done. Amazing service! Within 1 hour of my reporting that I punctured my tire, I had a loaner wheel on my car, and was back on the road.

After reading about all of the horrible experiences with Tesla service, I wasn't expecting much. I certainly was impressed with how smoothly everything went, and how fast Tesla responded. The guy who responded was polite, knowledgeable, efficient, and a nice guy. Thank you RJB Towing (Westchester, NY).

Thank you Elon for providing such a fantastic service experience!

Oh - I should mention that the first appointment I could get to have my new tire installed is 1 week from today. There's no problem using the loaner wheel, except that it doesn't look so nice with the one red rim. It would have been perfect if I could have stopped by the service center tomorrow to get the wheel exchanged, but I'm not complaining.

I don't have much to offer except letting you know I feel your pain! The second time I drove my car I curbed my rim in a parking lot. I curbed them I think about five times more in the next two months. I've finally figured it out and haven't since. The first time I did it, I was super pissed because I purchased the upgraded wheels. But now I've just accepted the scratches are there and it's okay because we live in an imperfect world!

I've had my LR MX for about 2 months. I absolutely love driving the car, although I'm still having difficulty judging the distance to the curb. I've curbed the rims twice already. Today I pulled over to the side of the road to check something out, and didn't realize I was within an inch of the cobble stone edging. I backed up a little, and the tire pressure warning light came on. I punctured the side wall of the tire - there's about a 1.5" hole! I drove about 50 feet to a safe area, and called Tesla Service. No humans available, you have to request service from the Tesla App. No, I wasn't happy about that, but I didn't have much choice. I figured the rest of my day was lost, and this was going to be a real PITA. I entered my information into the Tesla App at 3:50 PM. Within 5 minutes, I received a text from Tesla, acknowledging my request for roadside assistance. A few minutes later, I received a text stating that Roadside Assistance (actually, a private company working for Tesla) would be at my car within 55 minutes. They will loan me a tire and a rim, install it on my car, and I'll have to go to the Service Center to pick up my new tire and have it installed. Sounds like a great idea to me! The Tesla Roadside guy shows up, tells me to put the car in JACK mode, jacks up the car, removes my wheel, puts on the loaner (the rim is painted red because people used to keep the loaners!), has me turn off Jack mode, and we're done. Amazing service! Within 1 hour of my reporting that I punctured my tire, I had a loaner wheel on my car, and was back on the road.

After reading about all of the horrible experiences with Tesla service, I wasn't expecting much. I certainly was impressed with how smoothly everything went, and how fast Tesla responded. The guy who responded was polite, knowledgeable, efficient, and a nice guy. Thank you RJB Towing (Westchester, NY).

Oh - I should mention that the first appointment I could get to have my new tire installed is 1 week from today. There's no problem using the loaner wheel, except that it doesn't look so nice with the one red rim. It would have been perfect if I could have stopped by the service center tomorrow to get the wheel exchanged, but I'm not complaining.
Excellent! I damaged the front right rim on my brand new M3 about 2 hours after picking it up, in front of the neighbor I was showing this super vehicle too. Yes it takes getting used to, the rims sticking out some and just being in a new car, wider than it seems, but fortunately no tire damage. Thanks for reporting good service: we humans tend to report bad stuff much quicker than good!

Reactions: RachH
I'm glad to hear your service experience went so well. I have 2 years and 22k miles on my MS 100D and haven't needed service or repair or warranty yet! I've only added washer fluid and a key battery, though my 25k service is coming up.
regarding the curb rash, do you have your mirrors set to tilt down in reverse? this may help you see where the curb is while backing into a space. you will get better at judging the distance to the curb the more you drive. after that, there are mobile wheel repair companies that can fix your wheel(s) at home or office.

Yeah, I’ve experienced curb rash on the wheel hubs of my new M3 which also happened within a few hours of taking delivery. A good spritz if Shine Armour made them look a lot better. I’m glad your service experience went smoothly. I’m very happy with the care I received from the Van Brunt Street shop after they replaced the top glass panel when it got fractured while installing a roof rack which was totally my bad.

Rimsavers are fantastic. lots of colors, easy to install, works well and well worth the cost under $99 for all for wheels.
Go Rimbladesusa.com Below is a before and after.

Attachments

• rimsavers.jpg
    rimsavers.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Rimsavercolors.jpeg
    Rimsavercolors.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 130
  • teslawheel1.jpg
    teslawheel1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 110
  • teslawheel2.jpg
    teslawheel2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm terrified of curbing my car, its only 7 weeks old, the alert system gets so excited when I am near things that I turn off the audible beep, so one of these days it'll hit a curb.

Don't do that as you'll end up doing what I did in my S! I backed into a post in a dark underground parkade. I couldn't see anything in my mirror and thought I was judging the distance by looking at the camera. I still haven't gotten the thing repaired... :^/

I really think that the system should override your "mute" setting for the proximity sensors when you are within a couple of inches.

I joined the rim-runner club in my first week. I think the issue is that there is no warning -- the rims stick out more than the tire. With other cars (and I think my S) if driving gently, one touches the tire, first.

I think I saw that a detailer could take the wheels off the car, tires off the rims and refinished the rims. But we need a way to avoid repeating the crime!

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
So happy to hear about your good Roadside Assistance experience.

As for the rims, I've finally stopped fretting over it. I too, curbed mine in my first month with my M3. Much as I try to be extra cautious, and have the mirrors tilt down when I'm in reverse, it does happen. Yes, it looks horrid and my heart sinks each time it happens, but I'm "living" with it. Hang in there.

Reactions: Ctyler
Hi//
I also have an X. 2018 Model. Totally love the car! But, I also have the proximity to the curb problem. It's an easy problem to fix, I think. Is there any reason the side cameras cannot be viewed on the display at very low speeds? I have not looked at the side camera video so do not know if the curb is in the field of regard.

regards,

Bob

yup, it was hearbreaking, day 2. And then it happened again. It's just plain stupid design to have the wheel protrude more than the rubber. Just about every model 3 I've looked at since has the damage. My solution is to use those wheels for winter tires and buy something normal in the spring to remount the summer tires on.
I have gotten use to the look of the Aero wheels but I gotta say when I first saw them I thought they were the ugliest thing. Just about anything looks better.

Reactions: sceptic and Ctyler

Ok, I thought I was the only one who has done this, like three times in the three months I’ve owned this car! Not when parking, as the mirrors help, but when turning right. I thought I was being super careless, but realized this car is wider and longer than my last vehicle. Only slight rash on first two times, but this last one was a doozy.

Good to know about the loaner tire for road side assistance!

Reactions: Ctyler