Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside Assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

New to the forums, and excited as I take delivery of a new Model 3 LR on the 27th September.

Having just got my registration number today, I'm in the process of sorting out insurance and wondered if people were getting Roadside Assistance with their new Tesla. On reading what I could from the Tesla page, do you need RA with a new Tesla. Does the Tesla Assistance take care of transporting to a garage if you break down. I've been looking and the only thing that it doesn't seem to cover is flat battery issues, although this is not clear. I can add on RA to my insurance policy for £50, so it's not a lot of money, but was wondering if it's actually worth it on a new Tesla.

Thanks

If you're relying on Tesla assistance then from experience don't breakdown on Sunday as their 24/7 assistance doesn't cover you if you have a puncture or need towing as they won't have rangers available to help

A friend of mine works for the RAC. New vans do have a charging capability (believe it’s a extra alternator etc off of the engine). Existing vans have been given dollys and training so all wheels can now be lifted off the ground for towing without the need for a flatbed. Good stuff.

LV as part of their insurance cover provide assistance if you completely run out of power - they will take you to the nearest charger. I also have autoaid breakdown cover which is a £79 per annum payment - cover the person so any car you are in has roadside assistance, plus you can add your partner to the same policy for free and they are also covered whatever car they are in, so if you both have cars then both are covered.

you know you can charge by towing right?
Not if all computers are down and the auto parking brake is locked on! Actually I do wonder about this paranoia about towing given that (as you say) people do indeed tow EVs to charge them in some scenarios. Also I can put the car in neutral whilst coasting down a hill at quite a speed and there's no unwanted regen coming into the battery if that's the worry... so why couldn't a Tesla be towed in neutral? Tesla makes it very clear that it shouldn't be done so there's no real choice if expecting them to honour the warranty.

Reactions: kelvin 660
Not if all computers are down and the auto parking brake is locked on! Actually I do wonder about this paranoia about towing given that (as you say) people do indeed tow EVs to charge them in some scenarios. Also I can put the car in neutral whilst coasting down a hill at quite a speed and there's no unwanted regen coming into the battery if that's the worry... so why couldn't a Tesla be towed in neutral? Tesla makes it very clear that it shouldn't be done so there's no real choice if expecting them to honour the warranty.
The manual says you can tow/push a very short distance at slow speed - e.g. winching onto a flatbed - but beyond that it mentions the danger of heating and catching fire. The neutral is not really a neutral as the wheels are permanently connected to the motor via a single speed 9:1 gearbox with no clutch. I guess neutral just removes all power from the motor - but I think the front motor uses permanent magnets so you're going to get some induction effect no matter what.

As you say coasting downhill is ok - but if they said it was ok to tow a short distance then someone is bound to do a 100 mile tow in under an hour and complain that they destroyed their car.

Many years ago as a poor student I had a car with a dodgy battery. I used to park on a hill and let the car roll down to bump start it. Nice to know the old tricks could still work.

Many years ago as a poor student I had a car with a dodgy battery. I used to park on a hill and let the car roll down to bump start it. Nice to know the old tricks could still work.

Forget the "many years ago" ;) ... our older Fiesta is so neglected its battery gets low and I've certainly done the rolling down a hill trick (actually going backwards in reverse gear last time :eek:) Thankfully it needs barely a turn before it fires.

The manual says you can tow/push a very short distance at slow speed - e.g. winching onto a flatbed - but beyond that it mentions the danger of heating and catching fire. The neutral is not really a neutral as the wheels are permanently connected to the motor via a single speed 9:1 gearbox with no clutch. I guess neutral just removes all power from the motor - but I think the front motor uses permanent magnets so you're going to get some induction effect no matter what.

Rear motor is permanent magnet (and no front motor issues on my RWD only car) so I don't know how they achieve the no regen and no drive power when in neutral, other than possibly some heavy duty disconnects but there's no clunk that I've noticed! In fact though I've played with neutral I can't think of any scenario where I've needed to use it.

I have cheap AA cover through work, it was something like £80 for me & the mrs. I figured that if I get a flat then they are likely to be faster to get to me in most long journey situations and the Tesla cover seems quite restricted.

I do find Tesla a bit odd, other manufacturers offer breakdown cover with new cars but it's usually subcontracted to one of the big players - "Jaguar Recovery" has been AA, RAC and Green Flag over the years for example.