Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside Emergency Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking for the perfect roadside emergency kit for my new 2020 MS LR. Nearly all the kits I’ve seen have useless (for a Tesla) stuff like jumper cables, which I don’t want to pay for. I’ve seen the Tesla kit, but it’s mostly just first aid stuff.

‘My ideal kit would include
  • Warning triangles
  • Air compressor
  • Reflective vest
  • Tire patching kit
  • Road flares
  • Tow strap
  • Poncho
  • Blanket
  • Minor first aid
  • Flashlight (preferably a decent crank one)
  • Under $100
Any thoughts?

Reactions: house9
Why not simply create a check-list using your items listed here and then source each one for the best value based on the individual item? Not sure why everyone needs "kits" these days but entities willing to do that footwork for them make a fortune by buying inferior items in bulk and then packaging them up as "kits" at a premium.

Reactions: Puddles
I carry first aid, tire plugs, and a compressor. I like your list, I think I’ll steal the ideas.
Same.

I carry a few additional items in my vehicles as well and I would suggest an analog tire pressure gauge too. It's good to verify what your TPMS reads in case of a situation. That way you know if you've got a faulty TPMS and are safe to continue driving or if you've got a real problem and need to not drive the car any further.

A spare UMC & adapters when traveling wouldn't be a bad idea either. Make sure your car has it's tow hook present too. That's another one you don't want to find out you're missing at the time you need it.

Not really first-aid but we keep reusable grocery bags and insulated bags in our vehicles too which come in handy regularly.

Reactions: house9
If only there was some place (Amazon) that we could look up separate items (Amazon) and create a list (Amazon) of things we could buy at just one place (Amazon), and didn't have to travel (Amazon) all over town to locate. And wouldn't it be great is we could just return them (Amazon) without penalty if we didn't like our first selection (Amazon). However I would want to be able to get these and not pay shipping to (Amazon). Just too bad we can't. I know !!! I'll ask on the forum if anyone know how.

If only there was some place (Amazon) that we could look up separate items (Amazon) and create a list (Amazon) of things we could buy at just one place (Amazon), and didn't have to travel (Amazon) all over town to locate. And wouldn't it be great is we could just return them (Amazon) without penalty if we didn't like our first selection (Amazon). However I would want to be able to get these and not pay shipping to (Amazon). Just too bad we can't. I know !!! I'll ask on the forum if anyone know how.

Yes, I could buy each item separately, and try to find a separate way to organize it all so it’s not a mess in my frunk, but it’s really a lot of work and trial and error. So I thought I’d see if anyone had found something serviceable. That’s what a community is for. Pardon me for asking.

Yes, I could buy each item separately, and try to find a separate way to organize it all so it’s not a mess in my frunk, but it’s really a lot of work and trial and error. So I thought I’d see if anyone had found something serviceable. That’s what a community is for. Pardon me for asking.
Just having a little fun. No ill intended at anyone. Likely someone will take my funnin' as a challenge and make a list.
Might want to add a henway to the list.
We are a pretty happy crowd you will see. :)
Happy New Year.

...Might want to add a henway to the list...

What's a hen weigh? Not sure the millennials will get that.

Although you need to keep it in the cabin, a glass break and seatbelt cutting tool is handy in an accident.

Also a laminated card w CPR instructions is also useful unless everyone with which you drive has them memorized. I find this a handy addition to first aid kits...WoundSeal.com – Stop Bleeding Instantly

Last edited:
I carry first aid, tire plugs, and a compressor. I like your list, I think I’ll steal the ideas.
I’ve watched the guys at tire shops use the plugs. Doesn’t look like rocket science. Is it relatively simple with the wheel on the car if your trapped on side of the road to do yourself? I’m assuming you could get enough air in the tire to reinflate it somewhat to even try. I’m thinking nail or something that leaked down to flat .....

ive had 3 of these this year with all the roofing construction in my area.

Wheel on car? No, almost impossible, unless you can find the nail (roll the car with wheel turned) then work on it possibly with your weak hand. Best to reinflate it to get yourself home or to the shop. Or, carry the tools to repair the flat on the road (jack, jack point thingy, breaker bar and socket).

Wheel on car? No, almost impossible, unless you can find the nail (roll the car with wheel turned) then work on it possibly with your weak hand. Best to reinflate it to get yourself home or to the shop.
Yea of course. I guess I didn’t really think it through. Would be very tricky on the car. And if I could reinflate the wheel from a slow leak why wouldn’t I just drive it home or somewhere.
Geez. I’m getting as bad as my kids I’m always yelling at for questions like this

Quickstrike asked: "Is it relatively simple with the wheel on the car if your trapped on side of the road to do yourself?"

Plugging a tire roadside is quite doable, especially when it is off the car. That's not what he asked.

Yea of course. I guess I didn’t really think it through. Would be very tricky on the car. And if I could reinflate the wheel from a slow leak why wouldn’t I just drive it home or somewhere.
Geez. I’m getting as bad as my kids I’m always yelling at for questions like this

Ha, no, but it would save a few steps (jack, jack point thingy, breaker bar and socket, reverse to reinstall). Finding the nail without the wheel turned (assuming it's not on the flat or hidden side of the tire) or off the car is like trying to read Braille.

I’m looking for the perfect roadside emergency kit for my new 2020 MS LR. Nearly all the kits I’ve seen have useless (for a Tesla) stuff like jumper cables, which I don’t want to pay for. I’ve seen the Tesla kit, but it’s mostly just first aid stuff.

‘My ideal kit would include
  • Warning triangles
  • Air compressor
  • Reflective vest
  • Tire patching kit
  • Road flares
  • Tow strap
  • Poncho
  • Blanket
  • Minor first aid
  • Flashlight (preferably a decent crank one)
  • Under $100
Any thoughts?

In my under trunk well, I have a soft sided , adjustable compartment organizer with the following:
Rubber coated gloves, for warmth or dirty work
Torque wrench
Breaker bar
UMC with assorted plugs
Digital auto shut off compressor, preset to 42 psi
Tire pressure gauge
4 lift point pucks
Micro fiber towels

I do plan to add a tire plug kit, and reflective triangles.

I keep a USB rechargeable LED flash light in the center console.

I have never used the small first aid kits I put in previous vehicles, but probably should put something small in the glove box.

The reusable fold flat grocery bags go out of site, just under the trunk liner.

The Renstand safety stand and jack, stay in the garage.