TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster 1.5 Owners Wanting 3.0 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Sep 19, 2015.

1. asgard

asgard Member

How about a petition to Tesla with a 100 signatures?

2. slcasner

slcasner Member

You mean 100 of the (now less than) 500 owners of 1.5 cars stating that they would buy the 3.0 battery if available? That number might be hard to reach. But perhaps a smaller number would be sufficient to convince Tesla to do the additional work required to support the 1.5 cars. I would put my name on that list.

3. shrink

shrink Member

As a 2.0 owner I'd support the 1.5 owners and sign a petition. If someone wants to put something together saying all Roadster owners support a 1.5 battery upgrade path, I imagine there would be a lot of support.

Although I can appreciate there could be engineering challenges and concerns about resource allocation, etc. for a potentially small number of cars that actually upgrade. I just hate seeing some dedicated owners left out in the cold.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would add my name to that list.
    Maybe we need a thread specifically for the purpose of having each 1.5 owner who wants to buy within the next two years a 3.0 battery upgrade make one post and see how many posts we can get.

5. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

I second that notion - we should all stand together on this. I would think a petition by all Roadster owners would speak even more strongly than a petition signed by 1.5 owners only.

6. gregd

gregd Member

Another 2.0 owner in support of the 1.5's. Unless they need to push the laws of physics on this (and I can't imagine how that could be), it would be a shame to start sub-dividing the Roadsters. We are a team, regardless of model, supporting the revolution that Tesla is embarking on.

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I am a 1.5 owner and I would be happy to sign. I had even started to save up until I was told I could not get it. And as a result I am VERY disappointed.

8. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I think a petition would be pointless unless it was actually 1.5 owners who are interested in the upgrade. Really, it should only take 20 actual owner to put down a deposit on the upgrade to make it worthwhile for Tesla to move forward. Assuming they aren't already.

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Also please voice to your service managers and any Tesla representatives that the 1.5 owners want this battery upgrade, I've been doing so. From the employee they are hearing how disappointed we all are about this.

10. Gary1M

Gary1M Member

Count me in for signing that petition. I don't need or want the upgrade now, but at some point in the future I will. I'm OK if this also requires a deposit is necessary to encourage Tesla to dedicate the necessary resources if that ensures this upgrade project moves forward to include us 1.5 owners.

11. slcasner

slcasner Member

Right. Since 1.5 owners can't make a deposit at this time, it would first need to be in the form of a petition or letter of intent from those 20.

12. asgard

asgard Member

So what's the best way to get this started? There are many of us here in Silicon Valley who can hand-deliver a stack of signed petitions.

13. richkae

richkae VIN587

If the goal was to offer the 3.0 battery and get very few takers, excluding the 1.5 owners was a good way to do it.
    I would have expected that more than 1/2 of the sales of 3.0 batteries in the first year or so would be from 1.5 owners ( only 20% of the population ).
    All of those cars are 6-7 years old and are the most likely to need it.

If Tesla had said, "We have a 3.0 battery, but it only works on 1.5 cars. We will have a 3.0 battery for the 2.X cars available next year" I would have thought: that makes perfect sense. Good for them for doing it that way. I can certainly wait.

14. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

Count me in also.

15. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

In the "old days," we called this a "group buy." Get a commitment from a large enough number of people, and use that to convince the company to move forward. I cannot stress enough that it needs to come from actual, committed 1.5 owners.

16. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

Now there is an idea—try to put it up on Sign Up or Login - Massdrop!

17. josh-io

josh-io Member

Count me in for a signature from a 1.5 owner. This incident makes me question how long we should expect manufacturers to support the electric cars they produce.

18. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I can write a letter and would be happy to send it to you later next week. Please just PM me your snail mail.

19. slcasner

slcasner Member

We do have an example to follow in widodh's petition to Tesla requesting 3-phase charging for EU Model S:
    Endorse my letter to Tesla for supporting 3-phase charging for the Model S

widodh's letter provided details of 3-phase charging in EU to argue the case, but his endorsers were already Model S reservation holders, so there was no additional commitment to make. In our case, there is no argument to make, but we need a letter from each of us saying that we commit to putting down a deposit if Tesla will accept it and make the battery upgrade available for 1.5 cars.

20. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I'm another 1.5 owner willing to sign the letter and commit to a deposit.