Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 1.5 Owners Wanting 3.0 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla might just say: "OK, no upgrades for anyone? That saves us a bunch of time and money."

I think that such a move would be extremely embarrassing for Tesla. Not to mention that some (ggr, at least) are about to get their new batteries....

a long list of supporters would show Tesla that the Roadster owners stand together in solidarity.

That was exactly my intention.

Count me in as a signature, but I won't put down a deposit.

The lack of communication around this issue doesn't give me confidence. Why should I put up a deposit without any details? I don't know weight, kWh capacity, timing, cost for a 1.5 variant, etc. As soon as it is available, I will buy it. But I won't be placing a deposit.

My car needs a battery today, and I have been quoted $32K to replace it. It's great that a replacement is available, but why is it more expensive than the higher capacity battery that doesn't require electronics upgrades? The messaging of supporting and being grateful for early customers is not coming through in practice. My hope is that they are overwhelmed with other activities, and will resolve these issues when they come up for air.

Zak

Window closed for modifications of post #27 & 37, reposting to edit.
Latest changelog: + Six, Poker Broker to group 1 & bonnie, djf, dsm363, m0rph to group 2.

1.5 Owners who would put down a deposit on a battery upgrade
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. asgard
2. Slcasner
3. ecarfan
4. dhrivnak
5. Gary1M
6. samcarney
7. josh-io
8. Cottonwood
9. spiderguy
10. BobinFla
11. Curt
12. frequencydip
13. Sparrow
14. PokerBroker
15. Six

Other Roadster owners that support a 1.5 upgrade
--------------------------------------------------
1. shrink
2. sethr
3. gregd
4. bartj
5. stevejust
6. wiztecy
7. AEdennis
8. supersnoop
9. bpangburn
10. tvuolo
11. augkuo
12. pharma5
13. m0rph
14. Habious
15. smorgasbord
16. ggr
17. Zak
18. bonnie
19. dsm363
20. djf

Last edited:
wiztecy - I would like to make sure my support comes through properly. While I am not going to put down a deposit, I will buy a 3.0 battery immediately if it is made available, and the terms are acceptable (particularly price).

As it stands now, I am an the category who are not buying, and just supporting. I am a buyer. My car doesn't work today, so there is some pressure to make a decision. But how can I buy the current battery when a better one may be available soon?

Zak

Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't support the 1.5s in this ... you're all the OG and we all owe you. :)

1.5 Owners who would put down a deposit on a battery upgrade
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. asgard
2. Slcasner
3. ecarfan
4. dhrivnak
5. Gary1M
6. samcarney
7. josh-io
8. Cottonwood
9. spiderguy
10. BobinFla
11. Curt
12. frequencydip
13. Sparrow
14. PokerBroker

Other Roadster owners that support a 1.5 upgrade
--------------------------------------------------
1. shrink
2. sethr
3. gregd
4. bartj
5. stevejust
6. wiztecy
7. AEdennis
8. supersnoop
9. bpangburn
10. tvuolo
11. augkuo
12. pharma5
13. m0rph
14. Habious
15. smorgasbord
16. ggr
17. Zak
18. bonnie

I will eventually need a new battery for my 1.5 roadster. So will buy one some day if possible. If the only way an upgraded battery for a 1.5 will be made available is to put down a deposit now, I would do so. So I guess I count as a yes.

I am am far from convinced that a list of potential buyers will make a difference to Tesla. I think they will do it or not based on their own whims. But since it can not possibly hurt. Sign me up.

I'm also in the position that I will need a new battery in the future and I'd like to get the newer high capacity version. I wouldn't mind putting down a deposit for a future battery upgrade although I is unlikely I would need it for a few years. When I bout the car a little over three years ago Tesla installed a new battery after the previous owner bricked the original battery. I suspect the cost of the 3.0 upgrade would discourage me from jumping in right now but I definitely would be game in the future. So add me to the list of 1.5 owners!!!

Here is my first draft of a letter and I am open to suggestions. Assuming we all write a similar letter who/where would we send it to? If all of us will write something similar then may be can get a response.

Dear Tesla;
I am very disappointed that Tesla has not indicated whether the 3.0 battery will ever be made available for Roadster 1.5 owners. While I selfishly would like to see such an upgrade made available for early adopters, I am more worried about a larger potential backlash against Tesla and EV’s in general.

Over the past 4 ½ years I have taken my Roadster to dozens upon dozens of car shows, I have presented the EV story at environmental conferences, civic groups, and schools; and the #1 question I always receive; is how long will the battery last and what is the cost to replace it. The only "official" answer I have heard from Tesla is a replacement 1.5 battery is $42,000 and with the cells now more than 3 years out of production, there is no clear answer on how such packs can be maintained. Purchasing a $100,000 car is one thing, but paying 40% of its value on a replacement battery in 7-10 years is expensive. My battery has steadily declined losing 12% of capacity and it will not be long before many of my trips will be out of range of the car.

I understand that there is a lot of work with the Model X launch and there could be some delays, but the lack of communication is very disconcerting and we are losing that Tesla touch that sold so many people early on.

If the plan is to offer the 3.0 upgrade to 1.5 owners then please tell us. If the concern is lack of volume there are at least fifteen 1.5 owners who have said they are willing to place a deposit for a 3.0 pack now to start development work. Let me know if you want the list of names. If for some reason an upgrade is not in the works or possible, then in the spirit of openness, as in releasing your patents, please allow 1.5 owners to purchase a shop repair manual/DVD so we have a shot of maintaining our own cars.

Thank you for your time.

Or if the group wants to sign a petition just let me know how to do that. Thank you

Last edited:
Here is my first draft of a letter and I am open to suggestions. Assuming we all write a similar letter who/where would we send it to? If all of us will write something similar then may be can get a response.

Dear Tesla;
I for one am very disappointed that is no planned battery 3.0 upgrade for the first generation of Roadster owners.

There is no way I'd sign anything like that! To quote myself responding to another one of your off-the-wall posts, "Tesla has not said that they will not build one. All they have said is that the current offering is incompatible with the 1.5 melts chill on the hyperbole." Going so far over the top and making wild accusations does not build good will.

There is no way I'd sign anything like that! To quote myself responding to another one of your off-the-wall posts, "Tesla has not said that they will not build one. All they have said is that the current offering is incompatible with the 1.5 melts chill on the hyperbole." Going so far over the top and making wild accusations does not build good will.

It's not that far over the top, but it would be better to strive for absolute accuracy: "I am very disappointed that Tesla has not indicated whether the 3.0 battery will ever be made available for Roadster 1.5 owners."

Until I hear back I have decided to no longer show my car or promote Tesla. As a person who had a hand in selling 3 Model S cars, a Model X reservation and 7 other EV’s, I fear other owners will do similar, eventually hurting future sales as early owners have been your strongest advocates and acted as sales force.

I think that is a bad tone to take. You want to make a positive message, not to threaten consequences. If you really want to include something like that, might I suggest something more in a tone of disappointment, something along the lines of "I will find it awkward to continue to show my car and promote Tesla".

I am open to suggestions but no-one here has received ANY indication that anything for version 1.5 is even being considered. It has been 3 weeks since they have refunded the 1.5 owners who put down a deposit. So their actions to date do not suggest any accommodation. I really hope you are right here but I would have thought if anything was in the works or under consideration we could have heard by now. I am curious on how long you are willing to wait?

- - - Updated - - -

Remember, Tesla takes in more money in Model S sales in one day than it would if every v1.X owner decided to upgrade their battery.

Smorgasbord, I wonder what will happen to Model S sales if they hear packs are not up-gradable? Right now I am following Tesla's actions not their promises. It seems that even those who want and can upgrade to the 3.0 battery pack are still a ways from getting one.