Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster #1276 coming back to life after battery bricking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just purchased Roadster #1276 with the bricked battery and it is now in the Tesla Queens SC where the battery was installed and is being charged and balanced! I'm so excited to be driving a roadster again after selling #344. It was really strange when I first saw the Roadster without the battery everything had to be opened manually.......... Now it's up on their lift (kind of looks like a spider. I should have taken a pic) with the rear wheels off, the interior door panels off and some other stuff. I'm going to have them throw some sound deadening material in the doors while they are open like that. FWIW I was told by Tesla that there is no current work being done on an upgraded battery with Model S cells and was disappointed to hear about that. I'm sure that I'll get over it as soon as I get behind the wheel!

... FWIW I was told by Tesla that there is no current work being done on an upgraded battery with Model S cells and was disappointed to hear about that. I'm sure that I'll get over it as soon as I get behind the wheel!

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Tesla doesn't offer an upgraded pack with more range, that somebody else will. In any case it's really too early for Tesla to be wasting time with upgrading the Roadster pack. Almost nobody needs a new pack yet and they have a shortage of cells for the Model S/X. At current cell prices, few people would upgrade just to get more range.

Reactions: ra88it
+1. I recommend taking any single statement made by a single Tesla employee with a grain of salt. Not surprisingly, they don't all know everything. If you hear it from several sources then it is probably real.

At this point I would not be surprised if they either (a) are working on a new Roadster battery pack, or (b) are not working on a new Roadster battery pack. Eventually they'll have to make one.

Yes shrink. I was buying the car originally with a working battery but the owner told me when we were about to close the deal. The price was the same. BTW it was Jerome Guillen that told me Tesla was not CURRENTLY working on a battery upgrade for the Roadster......

Maybe an upgrade replacement Roadster pack is what Elon was referring to when he said earlier this year that Tesla was going to do "something nice" for Roadster owners in 2014.

“We are going to do something special for Roadster owners next year. I can’t say what that is, but I can say that it will be pretty cool."

That was in July. But knowing Elontime and cell supply constraints I doubt there would be something battery-related unless they knew the Panasonic supply ramp would stay ahead of the vehicle production ramp.

Obviously the ideal for Roadster owners is charging at Superchargers either by adding a Roadster-only plug or with replacement packs and D/C charging upgrades (yeah, right). But I wouldn't be surprised to see that Tesla's idea of "pretty cool" would be encouraging HPWC destination charging.