Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 12V system is down.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The diagnostic connector you posted a picture of will be the DC Converter 12v. If you raise the front bonnet then near the wind screen on the passenger side you will see this fuse. Not sure if placement is reversed on right hand drive cars.

E752F078-9181-4BCD-AD72-2CB4C79EC680.jpeg
Pull the fuse and measure the voltage from each side in the holder to ground (use the AC bracket). One side is the APS voltage from the switchpack. The other is your aux battery. Easier to measure here than under the dash, unless you’re into that sort of thing.

you should really keep all the posts related to your issue in the thread you started about it. Jumping around like this makes it hard to follow where we are and for others to follow if they care to.

Last edited:
I have sent Peter the vehicle logs and am waiting for his reply. But I notice that on the VDS readout it lists the most recent fault , dated October which I understand is due to a glitch with the GSM, but the rest of the fault messages are earlier see photo....also on the vital stats the temp data from the motor and pem are not registered, does that give any more clues I wonder..?

from August lat year. View attachment 5479069View attachment 547908
As you may have read in other threads, I made a cable that allows updating the GPS firmware by connecting to one of the two big cables that plug into the VMS in the passenger footwell.
Yes thanks. I found that thread, but I am not really experienced with firmware updates, I assume it needs some computing know how, once the cable is connected

The diagnostic connector you posted a picture of will be the DC Converter 12v. If you raise the front bonnet then near the wind screen on the passenger side you will see this fuse. Not sure if placement is reversed on right hand drive cars.

View attachment 548155
Pull the fuse and measure the voltage from each side in the holder to ground (use the AC bracket). One side is the APS voltage from the switchpack. The other is your aux battery. Easier to measure here than under the dash, unless you’re into that sort of thing.

you should really keep all the posts related to your issue in the thread you started about it. Jumping around like this makes it hard to follow where we are and for others to follow if they care to.
Thanks, sorry for any confusion, as you can tell I’m quite new and not very IT savvy. I have checked the voltages Either side of the fuse as you suggested and they are 13.5v and 13.8v respectively. I was surprised that there was power on both sides when the APS is inhibited?

Thanks, sorry for any confusion, as you can tell I’m quite new and not very IT savvy. I have checked the voltages Either side of the fuse as you suggested and they are 13.5v and 13.8v respectively. I was surprised that there was power on both sides when the APS is inhibited?

Also you are correct the fuse is on the other side on RHD cars

Yes thanks. I found that thread, but I am not really experienced with firmware updates, I assume it needs some computing know how, once the cable is connected
Indeed, the other end of my cable is a USB plug that needs to be connected to a computer running Windows (or WINE on a Mac is also sufficient). Then on the computer you run a couple of programs provided by Garmin.

Based on the description and log file from @KeithBoxer , the problem may be a voltage supply problem in the PEM. I have seen this symptom before, and it had to do with the PEM not properly converting/regulating the 12V from the APS. But, I don't know for sure.

Also as @slcasner says, the GPS update is really straight forward. So long as you have a cable. Garmin provides a wiring diagram and I'm still waiting for word back from Garmin on the update to the instructions I sent them. The Garmin update software has an issue running on Windows 10 due to a conflict with administrative privileges.

Also as @slcasner says, the GPS update is really straight forward. So long as you have a cable. Garmin provides a wiring diagram and I'm still waiting for word back from Garmin on the update to the instructions I sent them. The Garmin update software has an issue running on Windows 10 due to a conflict with administrative privileges.
Going beyond Garmin's wiring diagram, I have written up a description of how to make a cable like the one I've been sharing. See my post in another thread.

When I was initially testing the Garmin update software last December I was using a desktop computer running Windows 10. I did not run into any administrative privilege problems, but I perhaps my system did not have the latest updates.

I have just done the GPS firmware update with a cable made up in the UK by Ray Gordon. On my Win 10 computer it threw up a couple of issues but worked fine in the end. The installer did not run when requested to by the comms program and had to be started manually and it then requested that the comm port baud rate was set again but the lowest speed option was 9600 rather than 4800 as previously selected. It successfully updated the firmware with 9600 selected though and I now have the correct date again.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Kind of frustrating, as the GPS is already connected to the VMS (which is an embedded linux system). The GPS firmware could technically be updated from there, or a simple workaround (such as we did with OVMS) made to the firmware in the VMS. But with roadster firmware effectively abandoned by Tesla, we're stuck.

Dear Tesla, here's the two-lines of code we added to OVMS to workaround this issue (without a firmware update to the GPS chip required). Perhaps you can do the same for our Roadsters:

Code:
if (tm < 1572735600) // 2019-11-03 00:00:00
         tm += (1024*7*86400); // Nasty kludge to workaround SIM5360 week rollover

I have just done the GPS firmware update with a cable made up in the UK by Ray Gordon.
Glad you were able to make a cable quickly. I hope my description of how I did it was helpful.
On my Win 10 computer it threw up a couple of issues but worked fine in the end. The installer did not run when requested to by the comms program and had to be started manually and it then requested that the comm port baud rate was set again but the lowest speed option was 9600 rather than 4800 as previously selected. It successfully updated the firmware with 9600 selected though and I now have the correct date again.
I found that you can leave the baud rate setting on Auto for the firmware update phase, then it goes faster than at 9600. You do need 4800 for the normal operation phase to see the NMEA sentences.

I may not have passed along the instructions that I pack with my cable when sending it out. I've attached those here. I have also found that the procedure doesn't always proceed smoothly, so I included a suggestion to run the Updater manually if it doesn't start automatically.

Attachments

• gps-update.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Informative
Reactions: drewski
When I was initially testing the Garmin update software last December I was using a desktop computer running Windows 10. I did not run into any administrative privilege problems, but I perhaps my system did not have the latest updates.
I had to run the software as administrator so that the update software could get the administrative privileges it required. If anyone has an issue updating their Garmin firmware, then it's something to try.

I had to run the software as administrator so that the update software could get the administrative privileges it required. If anyone has an issue updating their Garmin firmware, then it's something to try.
Perhaps the administrative privileges were required for access to the serial port. That may depend upon the type of serial port or how it is configured, which could explain the difference between your experience and mine. I am definitely not a Windows expert.