TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster #1324 Salvaged on IAAI

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by jbadger, Jun 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

#1 jbadger, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Since the topic of salvaged Roadsters has been hot lately. I found #1324 listed on IAAI and was thinking of getting it so I can quit doing projects on my own Roadster but logistically and financially it probably isn't going to happen.

Not sure on the state of the battery, but it's listed as running and drivable (not legally with the windshield like that) and in one of the pictures you can see the taillights on.

It'd be great if someone rescued it either to rebuild or for parts.

12768042_2_I.jpeg 12768042_1_I.jpeg 12768042_5_I.jpeg

Insurance Auto Auctions: Vehicle Details: Vehicles

Attached Files:

2. bart513

bart513 Member

Looks like a Roadster Sport!

3. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I'll take the rims (still need winter rims) :biggrin:

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

ESS looks toasted unless they pulled the service disconnect. Pics appear to be from March.

5. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Am I seeing correctly that the driver's airbag did not deploy?

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Nor did the passenger. It appears the impact was high above the bumper which grazed across the hood tearing the drivers windshield pillar off. I believe the sensors for the airbag deployment are in the bumpers and those need pressure of an impact to deploy the airbags. So it makes sense why they didn't go off. Most likely this Roadster didn't / couldn't brake in time and went under the rear of a cargo truck.

7. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

The airbag control unit is in front of the passenger airbag. It has the sensor in it.
    Not sure how exactly it works, but apparently it measures the G force and triggers the airbags and seat belts if a G force limits has been exceeded.

Maybe the Roadster has been parked and turned off when it got hit?

8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

There's always this hopeful possibility:

160237d1296256495-larrys-lotus-photoblog-4-picture-524.jpg

Reminds me of the scene in Red 2...

9. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

Airbags are triggered with MEMS accelerometers. I think that Marco is right that the car was hit when it was parked and off.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#10 wiztecy, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    After some time to research, to me looks like as if someone ran up and on top of it just like this Elise pics below. It has very similar damage and I don't see any airbags triggered on this Elise either. The passenger side fender damage on the Roadster is the odd part, unless the driver tried to avoid the collision but hit an object on the passenger side.

Having someone drive up and over me like a ramp is the only susceptible thing I'm worried about in my Roadster since its my daily commuter. A full roll cage would help with that since there's obviously no protection at all from the windshield pillions. My Jeep has a full cage and I feel 400x safer for sure over a stock Jeep.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/totaled-demented-old-lady-139226/

224986d1367489328-totaled-demented-old-lady-2.jpg
    224994d1367489328-totaled-demented-old-lady-3.jpg
    225002d1367489328-totaled-demented-old-lady-4.jpg

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, talk about a failure of concentration - there was absolutely no reason for that idiot to drive over that car. He just cut the corner and wham. I would be really annoyed if I was driving that Elise. And maybe a little bruised...

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Well here's the picture of the old lady driver with dementia who drove over that guy in the Elise just in case you see her approaching you, give her plenty of space :)
    Thread for all wrecked Lotus cars. Please reply with VIN and any links to more info - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

225778d1367560199-thread-all-wrecked-lotus-cars-please-reply-vin-any-links-more-info-5.jpg

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Long ago someone once backed into my driveway (to make a U-turn on a cul-de-sac they entered by mistake) and backed right into my old Bertone X 1/9 then started to drive away. I saw it out my living room window and ran after them. When I confronted them they said "your car is unreasonably small and too hard to see." Insurance companies sorted it out, but man, the nerve to hit someone's car in their own driveway and then say it was their fault for having a car that is too small !