Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster #164 on ebay 29k (batteries not included)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From google, here's my guess about what happened with this car.

The car was originally auctioned with the interior more stripped. Most of the dash was gone in these pictures.
Salvage TESLA ROADSTER for sale 2008 CONVERTI 0 ELECTRIC Rear-wheel drive - used, wrecked repairable vehicle id 836905556 | VehBidz

Somebody bought it to fix it up and then found out the battery cost $40k, so they sold it after replacing some of the interior parts
2008 Tesl Roadster Roadster Salvage Certificate Title Car for sale in , *VIX* at Copart Auto Auction lot 21873120

The current owner (selling it on ebay) bought it on August 23rd and they're just trying to flip it.
Wrecked 2008 TESLA ROADSTER for sale in CA - VAN NUYS, Lot 22360493 | Copart Auto Auction via EasyExport.us

I think it's interesting that somebody stole a roadster to strip it. It seems really hard to sell off the Roadster battery in the general market. I wonder if somebody with a Roadster "placed an order" with a car theft ring to get a discounted battery.

If you bought a CPO version of this car from Tesla, it would be worth $60k. Here's what I think the car looks like as an "investment":
$60k * .7 {salvage title} - $10k {no warranty} - $40k {no battery} = $-8000

Without Tesla offering more economical battery replacements in the future, it seems like the Roadster is going to be turned into a dispoable car. Either that, or they will become really lightweight converted Elise's.

You might just have to unbolt the rear Tesla Roadster steel subframe and attach an Elise one. The aluminum chassis tubs between the two cars look very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course there would be lots of minor details that you would have to deal with too.

You might just have to unbolt the rear Tesla Roadster steel subframe and attach an Elise one. The aluminum chassis tubs between the two cars look very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course there would be lots of minor details that you would have to deal with too.

The Roadster subframe is a few inches longer than the Elise, so it's not quite that easy.

More perverse words have never been written on these pages.

:)

I agree... very perverse! :) Also It would be more work than what its worth... There's lots of parts on the Roadster that is integral to the full electrically powered system. Plus you have to re-enforce things correctly or they'll just break under the torque. If you got a working parts car with the components for $5k or less, it may be worth it but otherwise I'd pass.

Been long time lurker, but figured I should join since I picked up Roadster #164, I plan to keep it an EV vehicle.

I happen to already have ~33kw/h worth of EV batteries, they have an peak discharge of 1000 amps for 10 seconds. I will attempt to map out the battery CAN bus communication to see if I'm able to get the VMS/PWM to accept a custom battery pack.

Been long time lurker, but figured I should join since I picked up Roadster #164, I plan to keep it an EV vehicle.

I happen to already have ~33kw/h worth of EV batteries, they have an peak discharge of 1000 amps for 10 seconds. I will attempt to map out the battery CAN bus communication to see if I'm able to get the VMS/PWM to accept a custom battery pack.

Sounds awesome! Let us know your progress.

Hi,

Just browsing and saw that you were going to use a different battery.
I have a salvage Tesla 2.5 with bricked battery and not in a position to buy replacement for 40k.
Any help from you, if you are able to use non tesla battery with success would be greatly appreciated.