TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster 2.5 are all bodyparts in carbon?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by #899, Jan 13, 2018.

#899 Member

A quick Q for the allknowing roadster forum brain.
    Looking at the 2.5 vs the Sport edition there are a few exterior parts in higloss carbon finish (rear wing and parts of the hood to name)
    Would it be correct to assume that a normal 2.5 could get the same look if you stripped the same parts of its original paint and clearcoated them?

And that if you went all the way you could get a raw carbon finish on all bodypanels? Or did they change the frontbumper to a material other than carbon?

Thanks

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

@#899
    Yes, the body panels are all carbon fiber. The issue you'll run into is that the weave is not laid so carefully when they know it will be covered by paint. So stripping the paint and applying a high gloss finish could result in a car with carbon fiber oriented/randomly skewed in all sorts of directions.

Pop the back trunk hood and take a good look at the cf that you can see there & you'll likely see what I mean.

The former head of service, Joost de Vries, had an all-CF Roadster, no paint. But he had those panels made specifically for show. I had some photos but don't know where they are. I suspect @TEG could post a few.

#899 Member

Thans for the quick reply bonnie.
    That makes perfect sense with regards to the layout.

• Like x 1
  4. gregd

gregd Active Member

I thought that some of the front pieces are fiberglass, no?

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think so but Joost had the whole thing in cf

6. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

To answer your original question- no. Once you strip the paint and primer you have a layer of fiberglass surfacing veil designed to get a smooth surface for paint. There no way to separate it from the single layer of carbon fiber beneath. The hood and rear spoiler (and the hardtop) in exposed carbon fiber were actually optional all models. As for the body, it shouldn't even be considered carbon fiber (except for the roll bar cover), as more than 75% of it is fiberglass, and some parts have absolutely zero carbon fiber in them.

See this post for details.

Carbon Fiber Body?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I don't think there is any fiberglass there. Apart from the urethane bumpers, all the rest of the external body pieces are supposed to be carbon fiber either painted or clear coated. The hoop over the driver is the one piece that is always clear-coated. Some cars got part of the rear spoiler and the hood vent pieces in clear coat too. Some cars got little carbon fiber accent pieces added to the front spoiler. There are a small number of cars with a special carbon fiber rear diffuser. There are many cars with carbon fiber interior accent pieces.

You could special order a clear coat CF roof panel. Those are somewhat of a collectors item these days.

In 1.5's, the interior trunk bin is carbon fiber, but they switched that to plastic in the 2.x's possibly for cost savings.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Here is a picture of the one-of-a-kind all CF roadster:

CF1.png

It was apparently a huge effort and expense to get panels that looked right and many repaints of the bumpers to make the gray match as best as possible.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Custom CF rear diffuser:

CF2.jpg

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Closeup while it was under construction:

cf3.png

• Like x 1
  11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Example of car with CF options that could have been bought direct from Tesla:
    cf4.png

( Also notice the CF pieces inside covering the vents and gauge cluster. )

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Interior CF trim package:
    cf5.png

Some also have CF door pulls.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

CF rear spoiler piece:

cf6.png

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Optional CF door sills:
    cf7.png

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Standard CF "roll bar":

cf8.png

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Contrasting colors:

cf9.png

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Optional CF air intake vent:

cf10.png

#899 Member

Thanks TEG
    Fantastic reply
    So the hood and rear spoiler is what I am considering to paintstrip and clearcoat. The Q is of it will look as the sport upgradeparts?

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think TEG thoroughly answered the OPs question. Nice work. :D

The continuing debate, for some, as to whether or not the Roadster body panels are really primarily CF or not, so many years after the cars were produced, continues to amuse me...

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

As far as I know, all of the CF parts that are in the pictures I posted came that way from the "factory" and were not stripped of paint, but rather clear-coated right from the start. I don't know if it is possible to strip and repaint (in clear coat) successfully. As Bonnie mentioned, there was some suggestion that the CF "weave" on many parts may not be good enough quality under the paint to produce such nice looking pieces. My guess is that the CF factory would hand pick the better examples to be offered as clear-coat, and paint over the ones with ripples, seams, etc.

I think a more common approach is to look for wrecks at auction and buy the chassis just to get the CF parts. With the limited number of Roadsters out there, prices to do it that way will be steep.

Some people have taken to use a printed CF sticker wrap. Particularly with the rear spoiler. Up close you can tell it isn't real CF that way, but from a distance it looks fairly realistic.