Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 are all bodyparts in carbon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the hood and rear spoiler is what I am considering to paintstrip and clearcoat. The Q is of it will look as the sport upgradeparts?

Note, apart from the "roll bar", the CF parts were optional extra-cost upgrades.
They weren't tied to "sport" package. It just turns out that there is a higher ratio of CF on sport models because of the "cost is no object" buyers who just wanted every possible option.

The Roadster exterior painted body panels are carbon fiber and were made using the resin transfer moulding process. The effort to rework painted body panels to achieve even a low quality looking exposed CF panel would be extreme and not worth it. You are better off making you own CF parts using the original panels as patterns to make your own moulds.

To quote Barrie Dickinison, Director of Body Engineering,

“So, in the end, our carbon fiber body panels are made from a layer of primer, a layer of carbon, a layer of glass, a layer of polypropylene, another layer of glass and another layer of carbon, all encapsulated in epoxy resin and all in a space about as thick as a couple of credit cards. This allowed us to maintain a bending stiffness similar to that of a regular steel body panel and lose about 50 pounds from the weight of the body panels compared to ‘lightweight’ glass fiber composites.”

Cut From A Different Cloth

Thanks for all the good info
So if I want carbon detailed hood and rear spoiler It would be possible to strip them down. But that would most likely not look to good as the best kooking pieces wew sold as the carbon upgrade.
Carbonwrapping would on the other hand would look ok until you get in close. It will surely be less expensive and give the car the desired look.

Thanks for all the good info
So if I want carbon detailed hood and rear spoiler It would be possible to strip them down. But that would most likely not look to good as the best kooking pieces wew sold as the carbon upgrade.
Carbonwrapping would on the other hand would look ok until you get in close. It will surely be less expensive and give the car the desired look.
To get an idea look at the underside of the trunk. It is unpainted on my 1.5 and looks nothing like the roll bar.