TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Roadster 2.5 Seats - Lumbar Support

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by kgb, Nov 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. kgb

kgb Member

I see in the owner's manual, that the lumbar support can be adjusted by lifting up the seat cushion by its velcro and placing or moving a lumbar pad.

I lifted up my seat cushion, and I see a wire under there. (I assume that is for the seat heater.) I can't find any lumbar support pad. I checked under the passenger seat and there was none there either. I'll admit I didn't spend hours looking for it, but I thought I'd see it right away when I looked.

Has anyone with a 2.5 seen or adjusted their lumbar support? Am I supposed to roll up a towel and stick it behind my seat cushion? Should I be looking in a secret cushion hiding place somewhere in the car?

2. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

These were removed in the newer revision (not sure if that was 2.0 or 2.5). The manual references things that aren't correct for 2.5.

3. zack

zack Member

I looked behind mine and I see a soft removable pad behind the lumbar area. #1204.

4. kgb

kgb Member

UPDATE:
    I forgot about this thread, until zack commented.

TM took care of everything. I let them know that I didn't have lumbar supports with my seats, they actually mailed me 4 pads (no charge). I guess one is a spare set, but I decided to double up behind my (driver) seat. Much better now.

So, if you feel like you don't have lumbar support on your 2.5, peel back the car seat cover (held by velcro, but be careful about the seat heater wires). If you see nothing there, let TM know, they'll fix it.

5. Roadster

Roadster Member

Bumping this ancient thread to see if anyone has a photo of one of these. Better yet, does anyone have one they don't need? I could definitely use one. Thx in advance for any leads.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.33.15 PM.png

6. Roadster

Roadster Member

I reached out to the Parts Manager @ the Torrance SC and he found two different versions of the lumbar pads in the system: (a) 14mm in black and (b) 25mm in beige. Presumably, those measurements represent thicknesses (1/2" and 1" respectively). However, based on the photos below that he provided, they appear to be the same apart from the 25mm being just a tad longer. To achieve a thicker girth, he suggested simply stacking pads together with the Velcro. Pretty low tech stuff.

lumbar (1).jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg

• Informative x 2
  7. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

Nice. I recall hearing about these mystery pads that you had to install yourself, but all three 2.5's I've owned have never had them. Similarly, I've never had a comfort issue. It's great to see they're still for sale!

8. snd92

snd92 Member

In my 2.0 I am able to adjust the lumbar support with air. Maybe this could be retrofitted instead of the pads?

Attached Files:

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

You have the 1.5 Roadster seats which had the more expensive lumbar support. The 2.0 was the start of the cost cutting stage for the most part with Tesla in order to survive and help their bottom line. They did make changes or improvements that some like, so for the seats the 2.0 seats have more padding on the bottom and sit you a bit taller than the 1.5, also there's more side to side bracing in the seats. Something I like when I corner the car that the 1.5 seats don't have.

You're 2.0 is most likely right on the cross-over where it was mixed and matched with 1.5 and 2.0 parts. Not sure, but also the original owner could have requested those seats over the 2.0 outfit.

10. snd92

snd92 Member

@wiztecy, I am aware of the details you are mentioning. Just wondered if the 1.5 "balloon" system could be retrofitted in the same place as the pad inserts. Just a thought. Personally, I am all set and prefer the 1.5 seats due to lower sitting position.

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I'd just reach up where you want to add more padding. If you can get in there to stuff a rag or pads in it, they yes you can retrofit it.

Best seat would be a cross between the 1.5 with lumbar, lower seating position and the torso side supports. One day I'm going to just pull the seats out and store them and put in the full carbon fiber one piece seat that best fits my body frame.

• Like x 1
  12. snd92

snd92 Member

That, you must share picture of. Best of both worlds :cool: