Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lotus look just wasn't doing it for me, and having their cars follow a similar design language will be extremely beneficial to the branding.

It will be nice to see Tesla redo the Roadster themselves. In my opinion it will help increase their "legitimacy" as a car manufacturer.

Maybe Tesla can further benefit from the deal with Toyota and have Toyota build the carbon fiber chassis for the Tesla Roadster 2.5.

Just a small corner of a picture?

Pretty please :tongue:

I'm surprised Tesla hasn't released even teaser shots (à la Model S). Maybe they'll publicly release them tomorrow due to the successful IPO. :wink:

Several places in the IPO documents it's been stated that Roadsters Tesla will shortly be selling will have a higher 245 mile range. (Compared to Roadster 2.0 with 236 mile EPA Range.)

Also from a story I read today it seems Borg Warner have just sold their last batch of 150 transmissions to Tesla.

From this I guess Roadster 2.5 will have Drivetrain 2.5 with a re-designed transmission that:

1. Is more efficient contributing to Range improvements (I expect aerodynamics will play a part too)
2. Is cheaper to make
3. Includes some proprietary IP to underpin the drivetrain business unit.

Don't call it a refresh - Tesla Roadster Version 2.5

Tesla Roadster gets version 2.5 upgrade

TelsaRoadster25_01_540x359.jpg

Last edited:
TelsaRoadster25_08_540x359.jpg

The double DIN head unit is one of the rumored features I had been hoping for. Disappointed they didn't scrap those dash speakers for door speakers, though.

Overall, I like this update. Changing the front shouldn't be too expensive since it's made of plastic. Any changes to the carbon fiber body panels would have been beaucoup francs.

Last edited:
Tesla Unveils Roadster 2.5 at Newest Stores in Europe and North America
New Roadster Demonstrates Tesla's Commitment to Innovation

COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Tesla Motors today announced Roadster 2.5, the latest generation of its revolutionary electric sports car. It will debut simultaneously with the opening of Tesla's two new stores in Copenhagen, Denmark, and Newport Beach, California.

The Roadster 2.5 reflects Tesla's commitment to innovation and the company's close feedback loop with customers. The new Roadster includes improvements in both design and technology, including a new front fascia, rear diffuser, improved seat comfort and internal finishes, sound dampening and a large touchscreen navigation system.

"Although development of the Model S is our main focus, this shows that we still care a great deal about improving the Tesla Roadster," said Tesla CEO Elon Musk. "These improvements are a direct result of customer feedback and come only a year after release of Roadster 2.0, showing an exceptionally rapid pace of innovation. Where feasible, we will also offer existing customers the ability to purchase the upgrades now available in version 2.5."

New features in Roadster 2.5 include:

A new look, which includes a new front fascia with diffusing vents, and rear diffuser reflecting the future of Tesla design
Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black
New seats with improved comfort, larger more supportive bolsters and a new lumbar support system
Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates
An optional 7” touchscreen display with back-up camera
Improved interior sound reduction including new front fender liner material make the cabin even quieter
Tesla is launching the new Roadster with an online image gallery.

Tesla will unveil the new Roadster at its two newest stores in Copenhagen and Newport Beach, CA. Journalists can see the car during media open houses at both stores throughout the day. Customers, prospective customers and other guests will celebrate the opening of the newest stores this evening.

The enhancements in the Roadster 2.5 are the direct result of accumulated customer feedback. Tesla's unique, company-owned retail network allows Tesla's engineers to receive customer feedback directly and iterate rapidly. More than 1,200 current owners in at least 23 countries have logged over five million electric miles.

Roadster 2.5 is currently available for order and soon will be available at Tesla stores worldwide.

4751170327_c9265bd815_b.jpg

New Roadster Dimensions:

Overall Length 155.1 in.
Width Across Mirrors 72.9 in.
Overall Height (mid-laden) 44.35 in.
Wheel Base 92.6 in.
Front Track 57.7 in.
Rear Track 59 in.
Curb Weight 2,723 lbs.

Leg Room 42 in.
Front Head Room 36.7 in.
Front Shoulder Room 26 in.

Original Roadster Dimensions:

Overall length (in./mm) 155.4/3946
Overall width-incl. mirrors (in./mm) 73.7/1873
Overall height (at curb weight) (in./mm) 44.4/1127
Wheelbase (in./mm) 92.6/2352
Track-front (in./mm) 57.6/1464
Track-rear (in./mm) 59.0/1499
Curb weight 2690 pounds (est.)

Leg Room (in./mm) 42.0/1067
Front Head Room (in./mm) 36.7/932
Front Shoulder Room (in./mm) 26.0/660

About 30 lbs (~14 kg) heavier - the only significant dimensional change. That's pretty darn good. (Then again, nobody wants to have to re-do all the crash tests :biggrin:)

Last edited:
I wonder if they discontinued the Yokohama A048 tires for the sport.
The 2.5 site seems to list only the Yokohama Neova AD07 LTS now.

The AD07 is probably better for range, efficiency and tire life, but not quite as good for the track.

As far as I could tell, your post was about the website and not the car. It was moved to the thread about the website here.

thanks doug.. it was on topic since originally the site was listed to check out the pics and I couldn't reach it. The post you linked definitely wasn't there when I wrote the above post though (I even clicked on my name and hit "find all posts").

Anywho, not the visual redesign I was hoping for, but let me digest these pics and articles first

Euros, man!
Haha... Yeah, I know. Was trying to point out that changing any of the CF parts would mean retooling at Sotira (in France), which would be very expensive and not sensible at this point.

They put some tweeters in the doors and better amps.

TelsaRoadster25_12_540x359.jpg

I still think the doors are a better place than the dash for the speakers. You can fit a larger driver and you don't get reflections off the windshield. Of course to make them sound even better you'd have to add some material like Dynamat inside the door which increases the mass.

Last edited:
I still think the doors are a better place than the dash for the speakers. You can fit a larger driver and you don't get reflections off the windshield. Of course to make them sound even better you'd have to add some material like Dynamat inside the door which increases the mass.

Plus dash mounted speakers tend to wear out faster due to sunlight exposure.

When I first saw the front end pix this morning, I was like "OK, different, but not necessarily better", but then it started to grow on me over time. Generally all of these updates seem like a good idea. Particularly the double DIN with backup camera.

With regards to the stereo upgrade and speaker placement, I noticed this:
...Testing the system in a stationary Roadster in Tesla's parking lot, we were able to tell that while this does qualify as "premium" audio, it's not exactly what we'd call audiophile quality...

---

...a stealthily integrated iPhone dock that features an Apple 30-pin dock connector...

With the Google backing of Tesla, I am surprised the phone connectors are still iPhone based, not something special for Droid phones.