Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... would love to see a detailed close-up of the logo on the nose of the 2.5.

attachment.php?attachmentid=741&stc=1&d=1278050471.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=742&stc=1&d=1278050486.jpg

Attachments

• nose.jpg
    nose.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 281
  • tail.jpg
    tail.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 265
Figures... they announce the 2.5 on the very day my 2.0 is delivered...

Congrats on getting your Roadster!!

James brought up some good points. We should know what of these upgrades are available to previous versions of the Roadster. Also do we have a new price list? Curious what the double DIN sound system and whatever other options cost.

Congrats on getting your Roadster!!

James brought up some good points. We should know what of these upgrades are available to previous versions of the Roadster. Also do we have a new price list? Curious what the double DIN sound system and whatever other options cost.

Thanks!

I had a really great chance to pepper Hans with questions the other day. He drove here to give demos to a couple of potential customers, and right now I've got the only HPC in the city!

He told me that an upgrade to the Roadster's headlamps is being tested (on Elon's car, apparently). Assuming it is approved they will be offering the upgrade to customers, no doubt at some cost. Sounds like it would be worth doing.

Doug

I assume the the steering wheel is still fixed then (can't tilt up or down)? Thanks.

Not gonna happen, they'd have to re-do the crash testing.

One odd thing... I distinctly remember not being able to see the top of the speedometer when I did my test drive at Menlo Park. No matter how much I squirmed I couldn't read the top of it. There was a fairly broad speed range where I'd never know how fast I was going.

Now that I have my own Roadster, I find I can see it - barely. Either something changed or I had the seat adjusted closer during my test drive.

All that said, I think the new speed display on the touchscreen is in many ways more useful. It's easy to read and more precise.

Doug

* Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates

I haven't seen any explanation for this.

Edit found the following (from http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20009359-48.html):

We're told that the Power Electronics Module (PEM), which is the electric hub through which all of the EV's power flows, has been upgraded for better heat management, but we doubt you'll notice unless you take delivery of your Roadster in Abu Dhabi.

Is it just better cooling?

So the motor can still overheat I guess...

Last edited:
PaulM, could you add links to source your quotes?

I also assume they're referring to better PEM cooling. In Roadster 2.0 they added a second scroll fan to cool the PEM. This was in addition to the fan they already had for the motor. You can see that here. With drivetrain 1.5, often it seemed the PEM would be the first thing to overheat, particularly when driving on a track. So along with a new PEM, drivetrain version 2 (2010MY) also got that fan to mitigate the overheating issue.

I'm not sure that anything has really changed in Roadster 2.5, but with the new rear end, I suppose it's possible they changed a few things around. With Roadster 2, they didn't really say much about the PEM cooling, so maybe they're just choosing to do so now.

Well all of my experiences of limitation of spirited driving have been due to PEM temperature and not motor temperature.

I also don't consider the Pennsylvania to be an exceptionally hot climate.

Actually the PEM in 1.5 has high ambient temp, low speed issues. The motor is more affected by high speed driving.

You're probably right. In my limited experience first the PEM would give temp warnings and then the motor. I suppose in lower ambient, the motor might start yelling first. Either way, I'm still hoping they'll put a liquid cooled PEM and motor in a Roadster.

One odd thing... I distinctly remember not being able to see the top of the speedometer when I did my test drive at Menlo Park. ... Now that I have my own Roadster, I find I can see it - barely.

Well it turns out there is a simple explanation (thanks Dan)! My car has some of the 2.5 features, including the new seats. There was a slight repositioning, which is probably why I can see the speedo better.

It also has the new PEM and antenna/amplifier/speakers. So I guess I've got a Roadster 2.2-ish. :cool:

Doug