Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're probably right. In my limited experience first the PEM would give temp warnings and then the motor. I suppose in lower ambient, the motor might start yelling first.

That is what happens in Seattle with my Roadster 2.0.
The motor is what gives the first temp warning. I have never received a PEM temperature warning. It takes a lot of spirited driving for me to even get a motor temp warning.

It is rarely ever an issue for me even when I am having fun driving in the hills for a long time. Lots of curves with accelerations, still no temp warnings.

That is what happens in Seattle with my Roadster 2.0.
The motor is what gives the first temp warning. I have never received a PEM temperature warning. It takes a lot of spirited driving for me to even get a motor temp warning.
Yes, Roadster 2 has better PEM cooling so that's less of an issue. My experience with temperature warnings was from DT 1.5.

Last edited:
So there is a new PEM? How about some pics? :smile:

Btw, I was going to suggest you shrank.

Your tongue is obviously very deep in your cheek. But just for the record, I briefly had a 2.0 (the Toronto demo car) and my "2.2" side-by-side and although I was not specifically looking for it, I did not notice any difference in the external appearance of the TEMs.

I could probably use a little shrinkage, but not in the vertical direction.

Head lights look the same...

Tesla Roadster 2.5 Stars at Party for EV-Maker's Newport Beach, Calif., Store

..............................................................OLD.....................................NEW 2.5...................................................................
TeslaFrontOldNew-thumb-650x216.jpg

TeslaRearOldNew-thumb-650x216.jpg

TeslaScreensOldNew-thumb-650x216.jpg

-------------------------

New/Old
TeslaLogosNewOld-thumb-400x132.jpg

If I ever get in a front fender bender and need to replace the front area, this is definitely going to be on my upgrade list. Also the 7 inch screen.

I was informed by a Tesla source that Roadster 1.5 and 2.0 will be able to get the 7 inch screen upgrade. No info on price yet.

That would be my most desirable upgrade, but you'd need to put in a whole new dashboard, and who knows what else?
Probably not a whole new dash. I think just replacing the section that is the head unit surround and center vents. The top of the dash and vent tubing may also need to be modified a bit. The main thing, like I was mentioning before, is that piece of aluminum that's behind the dash at least on the 2008MY Roadsters. Not sure if they can get away with just cutting that or what...

Last edited:
The Colorado Gallery got a black one in on Saturday. :biggrin: There was another 2.5 on the truck but apparently it's headed elsewhere as they didn't unload it.

I'll post the couple of pictures I took when I get back home.

I was informed by a Tesla source that Roadster 1.5 and 2.0 will be able to get the 7 inch screen upgrade. No info on price yet.
That being the case, I wonder if there was some sort of regulatory change or clarification that allowed this. It's not like there's some new head unit packaging technology. If Tesla could have done this sooner, I think they would have.

Seems like it would be a popular upgrade for Elise/Exige owners as well.
If I bought a 2.5 I'd ask them to not install any radio. Then I'd go get a top of the line 7" screen and backup-cam for less than half the price.

Pioneer GPS Nav - $1,600
Universal backup cam - $35
You'd still have to get that double DIN surround from Tesla which might not be included in the options without the radio. Though, perhaps a 3rd party will start making a version of the surround along with installation instructions since there's probably both a Tesla and an Elise market for a double DIN solution.

Btw, seems Lotus prefers Alpine. Evora:
39lotusevora2010fd.jpg

Last edited:
You'd still have to get that double DIN surround from Tesla which might not be included in the options without the radio.

Good question. My guess is that every 2.5 would have a double-din dash, the second half of which they would just fill up with a cd tray or plastic panel or something. I can't imagine them keeping up with two separate dashes based on, essentially, what stereo you order.

If anyone ends up on the phone w/ Tesla, ask if all 2.5's will be double-din, regardless of whether one chooses the upgraded screen.

Here's a couple of pictures I took this past weekend when the Boulder Gallery got a new 2.5. There is another one on the truck, in the upper-right corner of the first picture, but they didn't unload it.

If anyone is curious, Ben, one of the employees at the Boulder Gallery, is the guy in black on the left side of the Roadster in this picture:
offthetruck.jpg

Angled front-end picture:
highfront.jpg

Close-up of front-end:
frontangled.jpg

Close-up of rear-end (sorry it's a bit blurry!):
rear2.jpg

New wheels!
wheelzoom.jpg

Last edited: