Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backup cams

Just a reminder, even singe DIN packages support backup cams.

Clarion-VZ309

There are even nav units that have a 7" screen that slides out and retracts.

In other words, 2.0 owners are probably $1000 away from having perhaps an even better nav system than comes in the 2.5. At least consider the option before paying $5,000 or so for Tesla to do it.

Clarion-VZ309

In other words, 2.0 owners are probably $1000 away from having perhaps an even better nav system than comes in the 2.5. At least consider the option before paying $5,000 or so for Tesla to do it.

Normally, I'd disagree since I prefer OEM solutions, but considering Tesla is just throwing an aftermarket unit in there with little to no integration anyways... might as well.

Regarding the heated headlights, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I was getting the same fogging that everyone else gets, and requested the upgrade. After Tesla checked the records, they told me I already had the heated headlights. I think it may help a little bit, but not much. The headlights are weak anyway, so I think that's the least of the problem there.

Just had some HIDs installed and they are amazing so far. I was getting some ABS and Regen fault lights right after (although ABS and Regen were working fine), but those are gone now (I didn't do anything, they just stopped coming on a few days after). Hopefully it stays that way.

Love the new wheels! I assume they also come in black. I'm going to purchase a set for my winter tires I think.

I wonder if the speakers got an upgrade along with the head unit. I had heard from Tesla that they were working on a significant subwoofer and speaker improvement. It would be nice if they made the dash and back speakers 5 1/4" instead of 4", since they fit just fine (I replaced mine), and at least have some bass.

...Love the new wheels! I assume they also come in black. I'm going to purchase a set for my winter tires I think...

wheel.png

There are some that have done that. Only problem is that, when in use, the screen ends up blocking the vents, which isn't necessarily a big deal.

My guess is that every 2.5 would have a double-din dash, the second half of which they would just fill up with a cd tray or plastic panel or something. I can't imagine them keeping up with two separate dashes based on, essentially, what stereo you order.
I'm not so sure. That section has been fairly modular, swapped out with versions that are carbon fiber or wrapped in leather, in addition to the standard plastic. I wouldn't think they'd use a plastic blanking plate for single DIN since it's kinda tacky. Never know, though. I'll be interested to find out.

Main thread on Roadster audio/NAV options is here.

Looking rather mouth-like. Reminds me of some of the Aardman cars.

12199_540.jpg

25003524_7fcb5f7e12.jpg

Perhaps some fake fangs for the Orange/Black Roadster for Halloween?
jack-o-lantern.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• pumpkin2.jpg
    pumpkin2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
I wonder if the speakers got an upgrade along with the head unit. I had heard from Tesla that they were working on a significant subwoofer and speaker improvement. It would be nice if they made the dash and back speakers 5 1/4" instead of 4", since they fit just fine (I replaced mine), and at least have some bass.

According to Tesla, my late 2.0 car came with the upgraded speakers, amplifier, and antenna. I certainly have no complaints about the radio reception, which is a complaint I've seen on these forums.

According to Tesla, my late 2.0 car came with the upgraded speakers, amplifier, and antenna. I certainly have no complaints about the radio reception, which is a complaint I've seen on these forums.

How's your AM reception? I haven't noticed a problem with FM, but AM is unusuable. This isn't a problem for me, because the only thing I use AM for is baseball, and this year the Mariners aren't much worth listening to. However, in Seattle like Chicago hope springs eternal, and maybe next year I'll wish it worked.

I have a 2.0 Roadster (#670).

How's your AM reception? I haven't noticed a problem with FM, but AM is unusuable. This isn't a problem for me, because the only thing I use AM for is baseball, and this year the Mariners aren't much worth listening to. However, in Seattle like Chicago hope springs eternal, and maybe next year I'll wish it worked.

Well, I've only been driving the car for two days, but I have no complaints. I've listened to two FM stations and one AM station. No problems at all.

I did try plugging in my iPhone 3G, just to see if it worked. It doesn't. Pops up a message saying it isn't compatible.

Doug

I also have a 2.0 Roadster in the 800s and the AM is completely unusable when the car is moving. In fact the only nice thing about being stuck in traffic is that I can listen to the AM. When the car is moving it makes a whining noise proportional to the speed I am going. I have thinking of signing up for Sirius but the only station I really want is on XM. I'll stick to my ipod for now :)

When the car is moving it makes a whining noise proportional to the speed I am going.

That's not weak reception, that's interference. In this case, it probably comes from the chopper drive that runs the main motor.

That used to be a very common problem with radios on old-fashioned coil-and-points style ignition systems. Electrical noise on the power connection would get into the radio. It often could be solved by adding a filter on the power going into the radio.

I would have thought modern radios would have better filtering built-in. It might be an issue with your radio.

Has the 7" double-DIN been done before?

We also saw Double DIN before in DrTaras A&E modified Sport...
2010_1_9-CES-LV%20014.jpg

In fact, I think they used a similar Alpine unit to what Tesla now offers.
Perhaps that A&E/Alpine/DrTaras mod was in effect a prototype for what has come to be in Roadster 2.5...
The AE-Edition which premiered at the "S" unveiling (March, 2009), already had a back-up camera and the door mounted mid-range speakers, as does the current model.
You are correct that the www.AE54.com edition which premiered in January, 2010 had the double DIN.

See more here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php?t=2399&highlight=customized&page=4

Was it a prototype for Tesla? Well, Al & Ed's has worked closely with Tesla & to date has far & away done more serious aftermarket work on Teslas than probably everyone else combined.
I can also tell you that Hans & Franz did go to Al & Ed's HQ in 2009. :rolleyes:

That's not weak reception, that's interference. In this case, it probably comes from the chopper drive that runs the main motor.

That used to be a very common problem with radios on old-fashioned coil-and-points style ignition systems. Electrical noise on the power connection would get into the radio. It often could be solved by adding a filter on the power going into the radio.

I would have thought modern radios would have better filtering built-in. It might be an issue with your radio.

The early Roadsters simply have no antenna. There is a wire that is under the dash but the marketing dept told the sound system dept there would be no external antenna. There is probably and new guy on the radios now since the sound system guy was in that terrible plane crash.

The stripped car comes with a stock radio, not a plastic panel.

The radio's AM is non existent (except for the motor sounds) and FM only works in line of site with transmitters. I just am gob-smacked that they would even bother. The installed radio has the reception equivalent of driving on square tires.

The radio's AM is non existent (except for the motor sounds) and FM only works in line of site with transmitters. I just am gob-smacked that they would even bother. The installed radio has the reception equivalent of driving on square tires.

My late-2.0 came with the 2.5 sound system upgrades, which includes a new antenna. So far I have no complaints about the radio reception.

Doug