Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 trade-in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I will be trading in my 2.5 non-sport Roadster when my Model 3 comes, for lack of garage space to keep both cars, and just because I don't need both. This won't be until next year since I'll wait for the P-AWD version. I'm not planning on selling privately because I had a bad experience once when I sold a car privately. The car had not given me a speck of trouble in the 15 years I owned it, and within months of selling it, it died on the new owner. I felt awful. So I'll trade it in and let Tesla deal with the next buyer.

I would say it's in excellent condition, though I suppose a careful inspection would reveal flaws, so let's say it's in very good condition. Very low mileage because I don't drive much. It's a 2010, and there are just under 14,000 miles. So likely will have 16,000 miles in a year. There have been a couple of minor repairs and I have had all the annual services done. One of those was done a month late because I had broken my arm and was unable to drive for a while, otherwise all were done on time. I'm the original owner.

Does anybody have any idea what Tesla is likely to offer me as trade-in value when I buy my Model 3?

ETA: The only options are leather and the Alpine so-called "infotainment" system.

I asked Tesla about trade-in values a couple of times while I had my Roadster. They offered about half the going private-market value.

They supposedly match Carmax offers, so if you can get to a Carmax you will do better. Though they will still likely only offer, say, 3/4 of the going private-market value.

I ended up selling on the private market.

As @ChadS mentioned, they tend to offer about half of the current market value based on options. It's not going to be a pretty number, but as someone who understands your story regarding private sale, trading in is probably your best option.

Normally I'd recommend something like SHIFT, which is essentially a consignment that sells it for you without the hassle, but they just can't seem to sell Roadsters at all. When their contract ends, the owner usually opts to have them trade into Tesla as well. Which ironically enough, is happening right now with a Glacier Blue one.

Would you post any photos of your Very Orange? I know I'd always love to peek at a photo of one. :)

I actually bought my Roadster through Shift, and I don't think it was their first Roadster sale. This was through their South San Francisco location. All things considered, it was a pleasant experience, and I would recommend them to others. I have no idea what the original owner got out of the deal, but I thought my price was reasonable.

That said, isn't there a consignment place in Texas that Tesla often uses for trade-ins? I forget the name... They might have the volume and visibility advantage over some of the other places.

I actually bought my Roadster through Shift, and I don't think it was their first Roadster sale. This was through their South San Francisco location. All things considered, it was a pleasant experience, and I would recommend them to others. I have no idea what the original owner got out of the deal, but I thought my price was reasonable.

That said, isn't there a consignment place in Texas that Tesla often uses for trade-ins? I forget the name... They might have the volume and visibility advantage over some of the other places.

I feel as if it's a hit or miss for Shift. Three of their Roadsters have been online for over a year and a half. Something doesn't seem right about that. However, I did buy my last Roadster through Shift, but it was the Washington D.C. location. It wasn't the smoothest experience, but it worked out. It also involved a lot of interaction with the owner, which sounds like the opposite of what @daniel is interested in.

Yes! Are you referring to Starwood Motors? They're pretty great for consignment, and they've sold close to 20 Roadsters in the past four years. I'd recommend them, if it's is something of interest!

As @ChadS mentioned, they tend to offer about half of the current market value based on options. It's not going to be a pretty number, but as someone who understands your story regarding private sale, trading in is probably your best option.

Normally I'd recommend something like SHIFT, which is essentially a consignment that sells it for you without the hassle, but they just can't seem to sell Roadsters at all. When their contract ends, the owner usually opts to have them trade into Tesla as well. Which ironically enough, is happening right now with a Glacier Blue one.

Would you post any photos of your Very Orange? I know I'd always love to peek at a photo of one. :)

Happy to oblige. This is actually an old photo, when the car was new, but it still looks the same if I wash it good:

IMG_2874_zpsmuf8gqdl.jpg

And here's a polar bear.

IMG_3221_zpsohej82wk.jpg

• Love
Reactions: DeedWest
Yes! Are you referring to Starwood Motors? They're pretty great for consignment, and they've sold close to 20 Roadsters in the past four years. I'd recommend them, if it's is something of interest!
Yeah, that's the one. I have no idea what they do for out-of-state interactions (Daniel appears to be in WA), but they seem to be a magnet for Tesla resales.

Then again, a private sale might just turn up for you. I was out doing an errand yesterday, and a guy with a big muscle car of some sort (I forget the model) tried to swap me for it. He's been interested in Teslas - Roadsters in particular - and started asking questions. "Tesla Time" at its finest. "Don't you miss the rumble?" he asked. Frankly, no. I ended up taking him for a quick spin around the parking lot. He was impressed, of course, and I wished him good luck on his quest.

Another factor to consider is whether a trade-in reduces your sales tax on the new purchase. In Cali is does not. So that would give you ~10% benefit right there. Plus all the time spent and stress of selling privately. If Tesla does only offer half then I'd go the CarMax route or sell it privately. That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Also, I do expect Roadster prices to dip when Model 3 comes out as I think there are several people in your position that will be swapping their Roadster for a Model 3.

Is that beige interior I see there?
I've never seen beige on a Very Orange before! Very cool.

I've always thought of the seats as sort of brown. But I suppose maybe they'd be called beige. I'm not great with color names beyond normal colors like blue and red. I did not special-order the car. It was in inventory (an orphan car that had never been delivered to the person who originally ordered it) and I picked it for having the fewest options of any car in inventory at the time. I was just lucky to end up with what I really think is the very best color for a sports car.

Reactions: DeedWest
So I just went to kbb.com to see what the market value is on my Roadster. They don't list the Roadster. First the web site told me to turn off my ad blocker. I tried but couldn't figure out how! So I refreshed the page, and got access anyway. But nothing on the Roadster. I guess there are too few to establish a market. If the thing is worth $50K and Tesla only offers half, I might re-think selling privately. But absolutely not to a friend! And make really sure it's understood to be "as-is."

So I just went to kbb.com to see what the market value is on my Roadster. They don't list the Roadster. First the web site told me to turn off my ad blocker. I tried but couldn't figure out how! So I refreshed the page, and got access anyway. But nothing on the Roadster. I guess there are too few to establish a market. If the thing is worth $50K and Tesla only offers half, I might re-think selling privately. But absolutely not to a friend! And make really sure it's understood to be "as-is."
Due to the low production numbers, you won't find the roadster on many price guides. Try nadaguides.com. Back when Tesla had a CPO program for Roadsters, they offered much better prices. When they discontinued that program, im told they started sending Roadsters to auction. I did get some trade-in offers around that time, and they dropped from $50k to $35k. I estimated retail price around $58k at the time. Only you can decide if a $23k different is worth the hassle.