Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2 ( formerly 2010 model )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested to know more about the regenerative charging system if they no longer use the motor as part of the induction charging system.

Any info greatly received.

Last edited:
I suspect that the regen still uses the windings in the motor to recharge the battery. I think the change is just for external recharging. It think it avoids having to pay ACP royalties, avoids having to electrically isolate the motor, and such.
This may help avoid some of the GFCI false tripping that had been happening as well.

Last edited:
Suspect TEG is right. I suspect it also improves charging performance and their ability to tweak how charging is done, though I have evidence of that at all - just would guess that was a secondary design parameter after reducing cost.

I look forward to a lot more information about the changes soon. I wonder what the weight differences are. Seems like they've added some items that will increase weight, but have lowered the weight of some of the components too. I want to see the final results. Also sure would like to know if there are any performance improvements that can be retrofitted to the 08's to get their 0-60, etc. times back to the numbers advertised. Not too hopeful there, based on news lately, but still hold out some degree of hope that something can be done.

So far, the most intriguing indication is that they have improved the cooling performance of the ESS/PEM/Motor. Those who have taken the car to a track have noted that it would overheat after as little as two hot laps-- far less than the battery capacity. Given that the new ESS/PEM have to support the even higher power Sport model motor, I guess they were highly motivated to address this short-coming.

How do we know if Sport model uses the same exact PEM as the regular model?

Also, my understanding was that the Sport model has better motor windings and it makes more power (in part) by being more efficient. Perhaps the Sport can make more power without making more heat?

After zooming in on SirGiles underhood photo, staring at the blurry address on the label for the HVAC, I finally worked out enough of the address to find the vendor through Google:

Eberspächer.
(I had been wondering about that new logo for a while)
logo.jpg

I think the A/C in the 2008s was from Masterflux, so it seems they have switched brands.

Perhaps this is some relative to the Airlectric heater line.

Somewhat related:
Eberspächer UK - Euro Bus Expo 2008
...Eberspacher (UK) Ltd will have on display details of their 2009 model range for both heaters and air conditioning, at the ... Euro Bus Expo show at the NEC, Birmingham....New for 2009 are climate control systems especially designed for ecologically friendly electric powered minibuses. The initial systems have been developed to suit the Edison Minibus vehicle, produced by the Tanfield Group. Powered by an electric compressor, the system can provide up to 6kw of cooling and heating is provided by twin PTC electrical heaters providing 5kw of heating.
Alternative air conditioning and heating systems are available for vehicle voltages of 180 - 420v DC...
420v is good... If Tesla uses a similar system they could use pack voltage directly without any kind of DC/DC converter...

Having taken my 2010 out this weekend to show it off to friends and family, I have mixed reviews on the new A/C system. When I started my day and left my garage where the Roadster had been sitting over night, the A/C did a great job keeping me cool on my way to Canyon Country (where it was already 95 by 11am). After a spirited drive there the car sat in the sun for an hour while we got lunch. After we got back in the car where it was now about 105 degrees outside and the PEM was already warm from some fast driving, the A/C decided the battery needed more cooling than we did so it blew nothing but warm air in the cabin for about 30 minutes. So I give the new A/C about a C+ on its ability to keep you cool. I guess driving in 105 degree temperatures and pushing the car hard is pushing its limits... but I can't change the weather.

Otherwise, I am very happy with my new 2010. The new dual blowers are a bit loud, especially once you turn the car off and can really notice them. The new glove box, while a nice new addition, can't hold much more that a pair of sunglasses. I love the new push buttons for gear selection, but they need to adjust the night time lighting options as they are a bit too bright even at the dimmest dashboard lighting setting. And speaking of lighting, the headlights are still a bit underwhelming. Driving on Mulholland last night I had to turn on the high-beams just to see more than 20 feet in front of the car on the twisties. There also still seems to be the same issue with fogging in the headlight housings.

I'll report more as I do some more driving this week.

I picked up my car as well over the weekend. I'll see if I can post some interesting pics before I leave town. I'll also put together a post with some of my positive and constructive feedback on my initial experiences with the car so far.

DrComputer- I was dealing with extremely hot temps as well, but I didn't notice the A/C to be a problem. Did you have the recirculation ON? If not, you'll constantly be pulling in the outside 105` air and trying to cool it down. If the recirculation is on, you'll only need to recool the air moving through the cabin already. I'll assume your top was on. :)

...I have mixed reviews on the new A/C system. about 105 degrees outside and the PEM was already warm from some fast driving, the A/C decided the battery needed more cooling than we did so it blew nothing but warm air in the cabin for about 30 minutes...

Having been there in Santa Clarita at 113 degrees while giving some spirited 2008 demonstations your PEM does need the cool air. If the new AC is better than 2008 I'm sure hot weather areas like AZ FL etc. will be asking about a swap.

Driving on Mulholland last night I had to turn on the high-beams just to see more than 20 feet in front of the car on the twisties. There also still seems to be the same issue with fogging in the headlight housings.

I already wrote about the headlights on the twisty roads. (Mulholland to be exact)
I just chalk up the short throw to the lamps being so low. Sorry to hear the fogging remains.

Hope you can make Super Car Sunday!

A request to the forum moderators: can you make it so that oversized images get automatically scaled down for display in the forum, with full size available on click? Your vBulletin system can probably do that; I 've seen it with other forum engines.

http://www.google.com/search?q=vbulletin+image+size

Yes, we can ask the posters to make the extra effort, so as not to blow out our formatting, but realistically there's always going to be some guy who does it anyway out of ignorance.

Last edited:
Eric and Jason,

I'll be posting some warm weather driving tips in the next few days. In the meantime, Dean is correct - be sure to recirculate the air. Recirculating will improve the A/C performance.

Also, try switching into Performance mode. Performance mode raises the thermal limits on the battery pack. Obviously, you don't want to drive in performance mode every day, but if you're 20 minutes from home and you notice your A/C is starting to favor the battery, switch to performance. The A/C will redirect to the cabin and the battery will not warm significantly in the remaining 20 minutes of driving.

best,
Ted