Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine investing 250k in Tesla stock instead of putting a deposit for the FE... It could have paid for itself and a couple of more. Yea, don't give them a free loan unless you got money to burn or just want to be the first. I'd imagine there's a bunch of rich people out there that don't care.
If I’d have put my deposit money in TSLA stock when I made my deposit it would be worth 16% less. Timing is everything.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
@phantasms two quick questions if you don’t mind indulging me. I like your auto signature especially the wife approving. I‘ll be honest I have to go for approvals too! Why did you decide not to deposit on the roadster and keep the cash rather than reserve? Second I see you reserved a Plaid+, I did too. Will you get a plaid or take a pass? I’m unsure because the feature I was most interested in was the 520 mile range. Sure the speed acceleration, etc are very exciting but won’t get used very frequently—at least not in my use case. However, 520 mile range would be an additional boost to long road trips.

The reason I reserved a tri-motor cyber truck was purely range. I am sure the dual motor will handle my “off road” and foul weather needs but I’m willing to pay 10k for the range on that model.

Reactions: TessP100D
@phantasms two quick questions if you don’t mind indulging me. I like your auto signature especially the wife approving. I‘ll be honest I have to go for approvals too! Why did you decide not to deposit on the roadster and keep the cash rather than reserve? Second I see you reserved a Plaid+, I did too. Will you get a plaid or take a pass? I’m unsure because the feature I was most interested in was the 520 mile range. Sure the speed acceleration, etc are very exciting but won’t get used very frequently—at least not in my use case. However, 520 mile range would be an additional boost to long road trips.

The reason I reserved a tri-motor cyber truck was purely range. I am sure the dual motor will handle my “off road” and foul weather needs but I’m willing to pay 10k for the range on that model.

Hi Zero! We all have different financial situations for one. Mine is quite unusual but the main reason is I wanted to stay as invested in TSLA as possible. There are people here that did the deposit when it was announced Instead of putting the money into TSLA. Do the math on that, it’s a sad story! That said, I sell covered calls against my shares for extra income. I’ve been writing them pretty high and recently I decided that if one of them gets executed I’ll take some of that cash and put it into the deposit on the Roadster as it’s getting closer to reality. If I had a ton of cash just sitting in an account instead of in investments I’d do the deposit today. It’s my belief, based on intuition, that before the Roadster comes out they’ll raise the price and keep the $200k price for the reservation holders. My gut is they’ll do this just as a way to make the people who have had $50k tied up for half a decade feel a little better about it. I think 6 months later they’ll lower the price back down to ~$200k.

I will likely pass on Plaid. I was expecting more of a difference from the base S. They initial test car showed a wider stance, vents, etc. The current plaid is visually identical to a LR, CF spoiler and badge aside. Also, I don’t love how the S drives at all. I’ve always been more of an M3 guy than an M5 guy. A friend of mine reviewed the car and said the handling isn’t nimble at all. I’ve driven a lot of fast cars. A person almost always gets used to the speed but the joy of great handling stays forever. If they released a 4680 pack car with the adjustable spoiler that does 500+ miles it would be more interesting and a harder decision. While the more miles is nice I do agree with Elon that over 400 isn’t terribly useful, and I road trip a ton. In fact the first 4680 car I get, likely Roadster, I intend to break the cross country EV record.

As far as the trimotor CT, well, that thing is nuts and going 0-60 in less than 3 seconds in a Martian tank seems like a future I need! I saw it in person in NYC, it’s beyond belief.

In the mean time I may try and sell my high mileage AWD 3 for a new P3 considering the insane used car prices lately. Then roll the P3 into the Roadster. Also, having a P will let me handle the Roadster delays a little better. lol.

I Summer in the White Mountains but am normally in Westchester. When we both have our Roadsters let’s cruise. There are incredible roads near me.

All the best,
Gene

@phantasms Wow, I really appreciate the thoughtful response. I agree with your smart money approach on investing the deposit rather than lending out at 0% for an indeterminate period of time. It seems to have benefited you so congratulations sir! I also decided to withhold deposit to invest rather than lend out but I also agree, everyone's financial situation is different. I just couldn't get my head around giving up returns on 50k over a long period of time.

I too will probably skip the plaid and wait another year to see what comes out. I also, take your point well on 400 miles of range being of max utility. I'm an inexperienced road tripper but once I retIre, which is imminent, I'd like to take an all electric tour of the sites around the United States and check off all my bucket list items. I'd like to do it in the cyber truck but would consider doing it in the S.

I too went to the Tesla showroom, I have an apartment not far from there, and I was amazed at the vehicle. It makes the anticipation much ore difficult.

If the Roadsters ever materialize we can definitely do a cruise!

Cheers and thanks again for the reply.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
I’m guessing deliveries in the Spring of next year at the latest

Elon claimed the final version will be heading to the Nurburgring this Summer.

If one of my covered calls gets executed I’ll finally be putting a deposit down.

Oh, wow, so it really is getting close. Thanks for the info. Hope things work out that you can get that deposit down! In the meantime I will enjoy the Plaid.

This is my guess based on reading all the tea leaves and listening to everything Musk says. That said I could certainly be wrong.

Enjoy that awesome Plaid!

Thanks. I was reading on the web site about the Roadster. Dumb question here. They take a 50k deposit, but is that then allocated to the price of the car? i.e. Is the price of the car really $200k or 250k? It looks and sounds like the 50k is just a reserve, but want to make sure I understand that correctly.

So... what's our bets on the Roadster arriving in 2022 vs 2023? If it's 2023, I think I'll get the Plaid for now for fun. But, if it really is 2022, I'll probably feel bad selling the Plaid after only one year and taking a huge hit on depreciation.

So... what's our bets on the Roadster arriving in 2022 vs 2023? If it's 2023, I think I'll get the Plaid for now for fun. But, if it really is 2022, I'll probably feel bad selling the Plaid after only one year and taking a huge hit on depreciation.
I'm considering selling my LR AWD 3 and moving into a 3P. I'll be happier waiting another 2 years in something with track mode. I considered going for the Plaid for the time being but I don't think those values will hold well until then. I do truly think this thing will be out next year. The most recently Elon spoke about it was on Rogan. It seems the engineering is essentially done and they'll bring it to the Ring this Summer.

Reactions: Zer0t
I'm considering selling my LR AWD 3 and moving into a 3P. I'll be happier waiting another 2 years in something with track mode. I considered going for the Plaid for the time being but I don't think those values will hold well until then. I do truly think this thing will be out next year. The most recently Elon spoke about it was on Rogan. It seems the engineering is essentially done and they'll bring it to the Ring this Summer.

I am in the same situation as you all. I too will get a Roadster, but I have a Plaid coming in the mean time. I have this feeling the Plaid is going to blow my mind but also wonder what will happen to the Plaid values after a year. I was thinking they hold strong but what do I know?

I am in the same situation as you all. I too will get a Roadster, but I have a Plaid coming in the mean time. I have this feeling the Plaid is going to blow my mind but also wonder what will happen to the Plaid values after a year. I was thinking they hold strong but what do I know?
I think the P100D values held pretty well, since there wasn't anything new introduced that was much different. The P90D dropped like a rock. 50% depreciation in 2-3 years.

• Informative
Reactions: TorqueMonster
I think the P100D values held pretty well, since there wasn't anything new introduced that was much different. The P90D dropped like a rock. 50% depreciation in 2-3 years.

The one thing we have going for us is that there is still a car shortage and the effects of that will probably be around for a little longer. Also the Plaid is just so much different than the P90D in that it is more highly disruptive and virtually has no competitor. I don't think that will change by the time the Roadster comes out. ...JMHO