Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I think I have a record here as the odometer & VDS are showing over 825 miles of range. :) I did a range charge and capacity showed as 79.99 KWh, pretty close to the R80 tag. I have noticed sheets balancing for a while after a normal charge but I have only noticed bricks balancing after a range charge. A full charge is showing 350 miles and the CAC is 214.98. I have less than 1000 miles on the new battery. After my range charge I drove up a nice mountain for a hike and saw the crazy high range on the way down. Now to actually drive 825 miles on a charge, I am not sure my bottom can handle that.

IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1727.JPG

So...I just decided today to pull the trigger on the Roadster 3.0 upgrade only to find it has been removed from the Tesla website!!! It was literally there a few days ago. I hope this isn't an official policy change and just something with the website!

**EDIT**

I contacted Tesla and they informed the 3.0 upgrade is still available, they are just in the middle of doing a major refactor of their website and the page: https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/roadster to order it is down.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ViviV and Gary1M
It is official the 3.0 upgrade IS FASTER. Yes it is 100lbs heavier, but with less voltage sag I now run the 1/4 in 13.0 and 107 mph. With the original battery I would do 13.1 and 101 MPH. Seven years later the battery was sending me down the 1/4 mile at 13.25 and 99 mph. The horsepower is a bit higher at 249 and torque at 281 as well.
Thank you for testing this and letting us know! For me this is a compelling reason to perform the 3.0 upgrade. I know it's only a minor difference but I'm glad to know it's not slower.

It is official the 3.0 upgrade IS FASTER. Yes it is 100lbs heavier, but with less voltage sag I now run the 1/4 in 13.0 and 107 mph. With the original battery I would do 13.1 and 101 MPH. Seven years later the battery was sending me down the 1/4 mile at 13.25 and 99 mph. The horsepower is a bit higher at 249 and torque at 281 as well.

That is certainly great news re 3.0. What still really amazes me though is that your 1/4 mile degradation after 7 years with the original battery was only 0.15 sec and 2 mph..wow. I just hope that the the 3.0 batt is at least as robust 7 years from now.

Curious if you have more precise times? With rounding a .1 second difference could be relatively small or large.

Recently, after inquiring, my SC confirmed that the 3.0 upgrade has a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty on "all parts and labor related to the upgrade". This includes the entire 3.0 ESS and PEM.

That being said, it's confirmed that the 3.0 upgrade includes a new / updated PEM of some sort.

In my opinion, $29,000 for tons lof range, a bit more power, and the only warranty possible (let alone 3 yr / 36,000 mi), is absolutely worth it. I wouldn't mind having the two most expensive parts under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and markwj
I did another range mode charge followed by a performance mode get-on-the-freeway, and this time the VDS went up to 257 kW, or 344 hp. For whatever reason (higher output voltage, less voltage sag) the 3.0 battery really does seem to increase the power quite a bit, at least if the VDS is to be believed. I should point a camera at the VDS (and secure it somehow so the acceleration doesn't send it flying:) ) and record this.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
That being said, it's confirmed that the 3.0 upgrade includes a new / updated PEM of some sort.

It's good to hear, but my understanding was that only 1 (or a small few?) components were changed in the PEM and thus the warranty on the PEM is partial..

The mytesla page (for the roadster) does not seem to have any documents related to the 3.0 upgrade I did so not sure how to quickly verify outside an email to tesla?

So, just FYI, I ordered my 3.0 upgrade late yesterday afternoon. *Today* my service representative called me to schedule installation in two weeks. So, apparently, there is no backlog/wait for the upgrade these days!

Wow! That's exciting! Congrats!

It would be good if Tesla could provide availability estimates for the 3.0. It's such a large purchase and buyers need to be budget appropriately.

In any case, enjoy!

Reactions: dhrivnak