TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster 3.0

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by DrComputer, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Great point! I completely forgot about that in the initial announcement.

• Like x 2
  2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Not good news. Seems I'll have to drag 764 back to WY to store it in one of my shipping containers. No sense keeping it in an RV yard for $90/mo until this straightens out . . . (flummoxed).
    --

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It's coming up on a year since I sent in that letter. After replies of basically "we're working on it", still nothing.

• Informative x 1
  4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Could/should we send another possibly with a few more names?

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'll give them until the anniversary and chase it.

• Like x 1
  6. m0rph

m0rph Member

Do you have a link to that letter? Can't find it..

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

• Informative x 1
  8. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

And what if Tesla gives up the roadster? Stops completely to support the original Roadster? If they may be decide to offer some trade in for the roadsters. I wouldn't believe that possible one year ago, but ...

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Take this with a grain of salt but a Ranger last week said I was fortunate to have the 3.0 as Tesla is unable to source the needed parts to upgrade the PEM. Until they can find a supplier or reengineer all upgrades are on indefinite hold.

• Informative x 1
  10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I was told last August that there were only very few 3.0 CIC boards available. If they are all gone, then it is a problem for new 3.0 orders and repairs for those that have it.

So it seems wit your news above that the 3.0 hold up may be nothing to do with cell worries or availability?

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Yes that was my understanding.

12. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Since RoadsterNumberOne has been shot into space TM no longer feels the need to be prepared to 'fix the boss's car' at a moment's notice. We are left twisting slowly, slowly in the breeze. :(
    --

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

^^^ It wasn't "Roadster #1" shot in space. He sent a 2010 Roadster sport into space, but (apparently) kept "Founders' #1" Roadster.

14. Logticom

Logticom Roadster Sport EU #243

@TEG elon musk still has a(nother) roadster? Do you have any pictures of founders #1 ? :)

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#2215 dpeilow, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • Like x 1
  16. slcasner

slcasner Member

Also, at the Model Y unveiling show Elon paraded out all the previous cars. He remarked that the first car in that parade was his Roadster and talked about how it was the only car Tesla had produced at that point and how long it was until the next car was produced. This was to establish a contrast with the current Model 3 production rate.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well there were some prototypes before Founders’ 1 but it may we be the first car that Tesla ever sold to someone.

He said something about Roadsters breaking down a lot so seems to have a preference for later models ( Like Model S ). His perspective is different than a typical buyer as he knows a lot of the behind the scenes hassles for each model.

18. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I don't have the dimensions at hand but how hard would it be to fit a Model 3 motor/inverter combo into a Roadster?

• Like x 1
  19. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

But are they trying? Or are they just focusing all resources to the new models?

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Sorry no good answer. The old supplier can not deliver and as of yet there is no secondary source. This was a new to the company Ranger of 6 weeks and 2500 miles from headquarters so I am not yet placing a lot of stock in that report.