Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's lawyer sent me the official confirmation that "the new 3.0 battery is ready in the US and Tesla is ready for launch".
I'm confident that they are just trying to buy time, and that this "news" is "fake news". If no one else heard from them, I'm convinced it's just another lie...

I was told when I picked up my Model 3 at the end of September that the Roadster 3.0 battery would be available again from October, so this could actually be true for once. Tesla doesn't strike me as the sort of company that would allow their lawyer to make a false statement like that, it would be easy pickings if not true later.

If you own Tesla shares we can vote up questions for the shareholder meeting. So please go and vote to get some answers on the future of our Roadsters.

The Roadster, launched the company and owners have showcased it in innumerable car shows, ride & drives, and environmental events. Unfortunately after 11 years the batteries are failing, and the promised 3.0 battery is unavailable. Is there any hope to keep this classic running

SAYTECHNOLOGIES.COM

A question for Tesla from David H.
The Roadster, launched the company and owners have showcased it in innumerable car shows, ride & drives, and environmental events. Unfortunately after 11 years the batteries are failing, and the promised 3.0 battery is unavailable. Is there any hope to keep this classic running

Reactions: Mark77a and ICON
I was told when I picked up my Model 3 at the end of September that the Roadster 3.0 battery would be available again from October, so this could actually be true for once.

Unfortunately after 11 years the batteries are failing, and the promised 3.0 battery is unavailable. Is there any hope to keep this classic running
It seems as if the answer is likely "yes".

Reactions: AtAge19
My experience with Roadster support from Tesla has been mostly good, aside from them basically always getting the wrong part on the first try and then having to re-order. What's up with that?

Most recently I needed a fender liner replaced. I left my car at the service center, then after a couple of weeks heard back from them… that they had received the wrong part. They said the car was OK to drive, and I could take it home, and then after they got the correct part they would send Mobile Service to swap it in. Great! A few weeks later Mobile Service showed up… and discovered that they had been given the wrong part. Now I'm waiting for them to make a second trip whenever they get the supposedly-correct part. Third time's a charm, I hope?

The most expensive repair has been PEM replacement. So, yeah… That was the big one. However, it wasn't necessarily out-of-line with owning any exotic sports car. I think it was nearly as expensive when a pack-rat chewed up the wiring harness in my Lotus Esprit V8. Then the Lotus dealership had to order one from England. (Someone they spoke with at Hethel said that nobody had ever ordered that replacement part before!)

Reactions: edable and AtAge19
Fortunately that is not my experience. I feel fully supported. A smart tech, with access to parts and repair diagrams can do a lot.

Nor Mine as well. Houston North SC has been very good to my car and acquiring parts. Antonio and Christina have been outstanding responding!

Lets see how they are with acquiring the parts for my run in with a stupid inexperienced driver going the wrong way and hit my front passenger side...

Hopefully they can get it taken care of.

• Informative
Reactions: Gremlin
I'm on the fence about doing the R80 upgrade. I'm charging to 160 on a standard charge currently. I don't drive the Roadster that much any more since I work from home now. But I'm tempted to upgrade as I think at some point Tesla will stop offering the upgrade and when I do need it, then it won't be available. Are we still concerned about the R80 pack degredation? I recall reading that they seem to be degrading faster than people expected.

All that to say, the upgrade is still marked as Sold Out in the Tesla Shop.

Nor Mine as well. Houston North SC has been very good to my car and acquiring parts. Antonio and Christina have been outstanding responding!

Lets see how they are with acquiring the parts for my run in with a stupid inexperienced driver going the wrong way and hit my front passenger side...

Hopefully they can get it taken care of.

Couple things....
First, ouch...this must have been recent...and Tesla SC is doing repair/paint work, or just getting the parts?

Second, aren't you the one who started the GPS issue thread??? I think this is part of the "support" expected from Tesla overall. Perhaps the SCs are just not allowed to do this type of work?

Most of us have had better luck. I drive mine every day. I take long trips without hesitation. I've had only one serious problem in the 5.5 years since my warranty expired, and the repair cost me nothing. I'm at nearly 70k miles and expect to do another 70k. Your mileage may vary.
I feel the same way about my 2010 Roadster. And thanks to Henry's adapter I can really take it anywhere. Now I charge it from my home's HPWC along with my Signature S and Performance 3. Three generations of Tesla EVs, all running on sunlight.
Henry, you're the best!

If you think Tesla has poor technology then buy an Alfa Romeo Spider and you find out what a poor technology is all about
I got 180,000 miles out of my Alfa Spider, but you're right, I had to make many minor repairs over those years. My Miata was bulletproof but I had to give it up when kids came along. I had a Jaguar XK8 that went through 3 engines. Once the kids got their own drivers licenses I no longer needed a back seat, so I got a Porsche Boxster which is equally bulletproof and I still have it 130,000 miles later. The Tesla has been rock solid so far, but has its share of quirks. It looks space age, but is primitive in creature comforts compared to the Porsche, which has a power roof, easy to get in an out, multiple storage compartments, 2 real cup holders, 2 trunks and a more open air experience. That said, the rush you get when you step on the Tesla's accelerator is better than anything I've ever experienced!

• Informative
Reactions: AtAge19 and Mark77a
In Southern California Roadster service was relocated to Pomona for the past year or two but my wife was just notified that Roadster service is being relocated back to Torrance (which I appreciate since that is close to us).

We each drive the Model 3 pretty often for the comforts (e.g., ability to make a call whole driving) and HOV lane access, but I still prefer the Roadster.

We each get low 150s ideal miles charges, which suffices for local travel. But I'd like to get the 3.0 battery, I think, to drive for years to come, assuming we will continue to be supported. She's less certain about hers.

I just got my 2010 Roadster just last week, and was a little worried about the battery since it had been for sale on cargurus for over 265 days. The dealer indicated that they had charged the car every week. I thought that maybe it was a dealer trying to make me comfortable about buying the car. The pictures posted showed the battery range at 177 miles for a standard charge rate (this was a picture that was taken mind you 265 days ago). Well it has been a week since I received the car have put about 100 mile on it, plug it in when I am not using it and the range is right at 177 on a standard charge. I guess I feel lucky it is performing this well. Gruber in Phx told me if it is in this range I shouldn't worry at this time.