Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, @Kerios got his new battery in the same shipment as mine, has driven 3x the miles and yet the CAC is not the much lower. I bought the pack to prolong the car's lifetime, not because I regularly drive 300 miles. Tesla has promised me a response on this multiple times now and have never kept their promise.

There’s always the option of legal action if the packs promised and paid for are different from what was delivered. One needs to think about any applicable statutes of limitation in filing, however.

Ignore SOH - I don't think that will report correctly for 3.0 batteries.

Output of 'metric list v.b' will give more details on the raw numbers (in particularly the balance of the pack).

Just tried to input my data, but got an error "Unable to insert vehicle. The system administration has been notified. We aplogize for the inconvenience" ?

My CAC continues as others have noted continues to drop, sitting now at 183 (dropped from 215 originally).

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
Tesla's lawyer sent me the official confirmation that "the new 3.0 battery is ready in the US and Tesla is ready for launch".
I'm confident that they are just trying to buy time, and that this "news" is "fake news". If no one else heard from them, I'm convinced it's just another lie...

So, I'm curious. Did anyone receive the 3.0 battery in the past year? Any news about upcoming deliveries?

So, I'm curious. Did anyone receive the 3.0 battery in the past year? Any news about upcoming deliveries?
I'm following this thread closely as I am told by the service centre that I am among the top 3 on the N. American list for an upgraded battery pack. I have not received any notice or indication that the new 3.0 battery was ready. They just pushed my service appointment back to keep me in the queue so that I stay on the top of the list. I will post an update if I receive any news.

I wonder if they are holding off until announcements on Battery Day of new cell chemistry soon to be available. Probably wishful thinking.
That was my thought as well. There was one post / rumor that a new 3.0 battery was "ready", but nothing has come of it as yet. Perhaps the announcement was delayed along with the new date for Battery Day? Wishful thinking, sure. But it would also make some sense to use the new Tesla-formulated batteries in a 3.x Roadster. What better than to replace the LG-Chem disaster cells with ones formulated to be good for 1e6 miles?

That was my thought as well. There was one post / rumor that a new 3.0 battery was "ready", but nothing has come of it as yet. Perhaps the announcement was delayed along with the new date for Battery Day? Wishful thinking, sure. But it would also make some sense to use the new Tesla-formulated batteries in a 3.x Roadster. What better than to replace the LG-Chem disaster cells with ones formulated to be good for 1e6 miles?

based on Elon’s comments, they’re looking at LiFePo batteries. Problem is, that while they have better longevity, they have lower energy density. Query whether we have enough physical space in our battery area for a LiFePo battery that gives us 300 miles of range. I think battery day may be devoted to their LiFePo efforts, which is why I raise this question.

based on Elon’s comments, they’re looking at LiFePo batteries. Problem is, that while they have better longevity, they have lower energy density. Query whether we have enough physical space in our battery area for a LiFePo battery that gives us 300 miles of range. I think battery day may be devoted to their LiFePo efforts, which is why I raise this question.
I'd take 275-300 miles that stays that way for years, over 340 miles and a rapidly declining capacity. Is the LiFePo battery capacity less than our original LCO cells? I assume it is at least as good.

• Love
Reactions: ra88it
Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 2011 R80 Roadster Sport that was upgraded from the 2.5 to the 3.0 battery pack in 2017. Should I be concerned?
Concerned - Not specifically due to the pack replacement...but due diligence on the current pack is warranted for all original roadster purchases...
What is the CAC? Can you get a copy of the log file for review? Ideal standard range? All the normal questions about the car itself, any maintenance history, etc...

Reactions: croman
Price match!

Attachments

• 167158C0-AC6F-44BC-AAE8-B127EDDFA07A.png
    167158C0-AC6F-44BC-AAE8-B127EDDFA07A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 2011 R80 Roadster Sport that was upgraded from the 2.5 to the 3.0 battery pack in 2017. Should I be concerned?
Please share us details...cost, CAC and how to contact the owner...I bet the car will sell within a week if the owner posted it on this forum or one of the Facebook Roadster groups. R80s are rare. I wouldn't be concerned about the battery (unless you need over 300 miles to drive everyday).

Reactions: dhrivnak
Can't think of a better thread than this, and don't want to start a new one. Since the upgrade, I can do much longer fun drives without having to think about charging. Yesterday was beautiful and warm here in San Diego, so I took the Green Machine to Borrego Springs via the stunning Montezuma Grade Road. I was determined to just take it easy, but when a group of four guys on japanese superbikes overtook me I decided to try to keep up with them. Successfully. They pulled off to one of the lookouts, I kept going to the burger and beer joint at the bottom of the hill, then they pulled in too half an hour later. We had a nice chat... I used to be one of them. The motor overheated on the downhill! (4000' to below sea level in 15 miles, something like that). I was of course alternating between nearly full throttle (I could have been faster than the slowest of them) and full regen plus brakes, and I guess it doesn't matter whether you're headed up or down. Coming out and back up I limited myself to 60mph but I got a warning that a sheet was overheating, so backed off a little more. A thoroughly enjoyable 200 miles and 5 hours.

Coming out and back up I limited myself to 60mph but I got a warning that a sheet was overheating, so backed off a little more. .

I suggest you have someone look at your logs to see if that sheet is consistently running hotter than the others. If it is then somebody should look at the car for a clogged cooling system or to see if the cooling tubes were installed in a way that they are not flowing properly (i.e. since the coolant flows in both directions through the sheets it is possible to attach the tubes incorrectly so the flow isn't happening at all). This is assuming the R80 sheet design is similar to stock.

I suggest you have someone look at your logs to see if that sheet is consistently running hotter than the others. If it is then somebody should look at the car for a clogged cooling system or to see if the cooling tubes were installed in a way that they are not flowing properly (i.e. since the coolant flows in both directions through the sheets it is possible to attach the tubes incorrectly so the flow isn't happening at all). This is assuming the R80 sheet design is similar to stock.
I 100% agree with you Zak. If the hoses are not routed correctly on that sheet it will not get coolant thru the tubes and the sheet will overheat. Could also be a loose connection.