Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 723575Signature 100 #54 is now back on the road with a 3.0 battery. Limited use so far but everything seems to be operating as expected, except the TPMS module isn’t reading tire pressures and is throwing a fault. It took 2.5 months to figure out how to get all of the right parts to the right place to be installed so I didn’t want to leave it there any longer to fix the TPMS. The car has been a brick for the past six or seven years so it’s great to see it back alive.
Did you decline the R80 badge or they just didn't have one as part of the upgrade?

Folks getting a 3.0 Upgrade in the US, please read! There is no indication that Tesla will take new 3.0 pack orders. Therefore, people stuck with original batteries need your help. Before taking your car into Tesla, please send it to Carl Medlock, @CM_007 He will remove the good modules/sheets from your car and replace them with dead sheets. Tesla doesn't care whether your car is running or not. They just want your car to come in with 11 modules/sheets. I just did this and now more Roadster can stay on the road! After replacing my sheets with dead sheets he put my car on a flat bed and dropped it off in Bellevue where they are doing the 3.0 upgrade. The other thing to note, Tesla is recycling the sheets when they come in. They are not using them as spares for reman. Therefore, we as a community need to help re-use rather than recycle! Happy to answer any questions you have.

yes, which is why it was hard to read Henry’s post about his car still getting over 200 miles of range and why Henry was right to hesitate questioning whether getting the upgrade now was right. I’m sure he would have felt a lot better knowing those modules were going to save another Roadster.

Reactions: Jedi2155
Tesla has been using used sheets in ther reconditioned ESS units for years. They recycle the defective ones. I have had a couple of remanufactured ESS units apart and seen different sheets inside. They have also stripped entire working cars that they acquired.

I have found it much easier just to give the service center a few bucks to just swap a good ESS core for a bad one that i supplied.

Folks getting a 3.0 Upgrade in the US, please read! There is no indication that Tesla will take new 3.0 pack orders. Therefore, people stuck with original batteries need your help. Before taking your car into Tesla, please send it to Carl Medlock, @CM_007 He will remove the good modules/sheets from your car and replace them with dead sheets. Tesla doesn't care whether your car is running or not. They just want your car to come in with 11 modules/sheets. I just did this and now more Roadster can stay on the road! After replacing my sheets with dead sheets he put my car on a flat bed and dropped it off in Bellevue where they are doing the 3.0 upgrade. The other thing to note, Tesla is recycling the sheets when they come in. They are not using them as spares for reman. Therefore, we as a community need to help re-use rather than recycle! Happy to answer any questions you have.
Fantastic idea!

That is a great idea. Mine went to Watertown, MA a couple weeks ago. Had I know this AND had there been a local option (eg, no trucking my car from Vermont to the West coast), I would gladly have done that!
Sounds like it’s possible you may still be able to ask them to keep your old pack, and/or palletize it to ship to Carl at his expense - worth asking!

Reactions: drewski
My Roadster 2.5 is back with its new PEM and 3.0 battery. Apart from a new seal, it all looks original. Not entirely sure what the range is - though it doesn't matter too much (at all, actually) in Hong Kong.
BTW, it's for sale...
2011 Tesla R80 3.0 Roadster Sport | For Sale

Attachments

• Tesla Roadster Sport 3.0 (7).jpg
    Tesla Roadster Sport 3.0 (7).jpg
    346 KB · Views: 89
  • Tesla Roadster Sport 3.0 (25).jpg
    Tesla Roadster Sport 3.0 (25).jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Jedi2155 and markwj
Would love to know what difference it makes in range and 0-60 time - when are you having them done?

Is Jack repacking the old bearing, or fabricating a whole new one?
I'm going to ask Carl to send the old bearings to Jack, to ensure he has the right part. Jack then ship new ceramic bearings back to Carl. Depending on Carl's backlog, like to have car back by Memorial Day, if I ship it March 3. Ship it earlier if he has greater back log. Just don't want to ship car during winter. Why risk it?

Last edited:
I'm going to ask Carl to send the old bearings to Jack, to ensure he has the right part. Jack then ship new ceramic bearings back to Carl. Depending on Carl's backlog, like to have car back by Memorial Day, if I ship it March 3. Ship it earlier if he has greater back log. Just don't want to ship car during winter. Why risk it?
Might save some time to ship a bearing assembly (or 4) to Jack ASAP for him to get specs from and build yours; that way Carl could do a quicker turnaround.

The SKF VKBA 3651 (Opel/Vauxhall/Roadster bearing assembly with ABS sensor) is pretty easy to find and not terribly expensive; $100-150 shipped. Sell the replaced new metal bearings and the old bearing assemblies to Carl for a third of what you paid and you’re on the road a whole lot sooner for <$400; plus you save the shipping from Carl to Jack.

I’m by no means an expert on this, but you may want to send Jack fresh bearing assemblies anyway, if Jack is planning on reusing your old races. (For that matter, if he isn’t reusing them, and is fabricating his own, I think he’d have to magnetize them to get the ABS working properly? Not 100% sure on that.)

• Informative
Reactions: Gremlin