Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk: Tesla Model S will go farther on a charge - Mar. 15, 2015

"Tesla similarly upgraded its Roadster electric cars last year, expanding their range to almost 400 miles between charges via an over-the-air update. Before the upgrade, Roadsters could travel about 245 miles on a single charge."

Am I the only one who didn't get this software update?

You forgot the tongue-in-cheek smiley.

tic.png

Way for the reporters to mix various news and swirl it into something completely wrong.

Here's a diagram I made for the Plug In America battery study that shows how standard and range mode work for displaying the SOC. It's explained in detail in the report.

euGPK5r.png

I agree it would be a nice improvement to simplify how the modes work on the Roadster. It's a bad design that the charge and drive modes are tied together in a way that causes so much confusion, as the discussion on this thread clearly illustrates. It would be nice to have a slider to set the charge level, always show SOC relative to the full range, and then use modes or on/off options to set driving parameters.

For what it's worth, I think driving in Range mode is unsafe and I stopped doing it after a close call. We were driving uphill on a state highway, one lane each direction, straight with great visibility. We came up behind a semi struggling up the hill. There was an oncoming vehicle, but with plenty of room for me to pass. I signaled, moved over, and pushed the pedal. The car barely accelerated. I pushed the pedal to the floor; mild acceleration. Oh, crap! It's in Range mode. No time to switch, that oncoming car is getting closer. Can I make it, or do I need to brake and abort?!? In Standard mode, that would have been no problem, even with the uphill.

It's dangerous to expect a certain level of performance and then not get it when you need it.

While it would be a nice upgrade to the Roadster to make charging and power-limiting modes easier to understand, I'm guessing that's beyond the scope of what they will be doing for Roadster 3.0.

For what it's worth, I think driving in Range mode is unsafe and I stopped doing it after a close call. We were driving uphill on a state highway, one lane each direction, straight with great visibility. We came up behind a semi struggling up the hill. There was an oncoming vehicle, but with plenty of room for me to pass. I signaled, moved over, and pushed the pedal. The car barely accelerated. I pushed the pedal to the floor; mild acceleration. Oh, crap! It's in Range mode. No time to switch, that oncoming car is getting closer. Can I make it, or do I need to brake and abort?!? In Standard mode, that would have been no problem, even with the uphill.
I completely agree. I was really happy that they did away with the multiple driving modes w/ the Model S. That's why I love my Tattler that puts the car in Performance mode every time. If you need more range just moderate your right foot.

Tom, thanks for posting that diagram, it helps clarify the situation for me.

I agree with you about the concern driving in Range mode. In my past 6 months of Roadster ownership I have only driven in Range mode briefly and hated it. Don't do it any,ore.

Hopefully the 3.0 firmware needed for the new battery will be more like the Model S in how the battery is managed and displayed.

Oh, crap! It's in Range mode. No time to switch, that oncoming car is getting closer. Can I make it, or do I need to brake and abort?!?

I guess many don't know you can put the car in Performance mode by turning the key again. With some 'muscle memory', you can do that so fast it won't affect your safety in situations as you described. :wink:

As excited as I am about 3.0, I tend to cut them a little slack as they attempt to do something that has never been done before. One of the things I appreciate about Elon is his rejection of status quo and willingness to try things that other people have failed at. In that world timelines are blurry and he'll have to surround himself with good people to ensure execution as Tesla grows.

Im beginning to wonder if this is vapourware. Elon likes to make the share price go up and down with silly announcements a year before they actually arrive. Makes me wonder if he has a friend buying and selling stock.

I might think that too, except that they've already built and tested a prototype. That's too much work to do if they're just not going to deliver.

That said, it'll probably take them a while. Which I'm fine with, my current battery is doing very well.

I might think that too, except that they've already built and tested a prototype. That's too much work to do if they're just not going to deliver.

That said, it'll probably take them a while. Which I'm fine with, my current battery is doing very well.

Now I think we will get the 3.0 at some point! however:

how do you know they have built a prototype? they have blogged about a trip taken but without a single photo......... that is not the most convincing way of showing off a capability........ I could write that I ran up the south wall of Mount Everest a couple of months ago and with no photos you could choose to believe me or ........ not. ( in this case I wouldn't if I were you. :) )

how do you know they have built a prototype? they have blogged about a trip taken but without a single photo......... that is not the most convincing way of showing off a capability........ I could write that I ran up the south wall of Mount Everest a couple of months ago and with no photos you could choose to believe me or ........ not. ( in this case I wouldn't if I were you. :) )
Seriously, you think Tesla's blog post about the San Jose-to-Santa Monica test run in the 3.0 prototype is a lie just because there were no photos posted?

I have much. more confidence in the company than you do. The test run happened. The 3.0 upgrade will happen.

Seriously, you think Tesla's blog post about the San Jose-to-Santa Monica test run in the 3.0 prototype is a lie just because there were no photos posted?

I have much. more confidence in the company than you do. The test run happened. The 3.0 upgrade will happen.

I guess you must be a journalist ....... since you just took my post out of context. :) ....... I CLEARLY wrote that I do believe the 3.0 is coming which means that I probably believe they did the trip. however, we have zero PROOF of it being done. SO for someone to infer that we have is being willfully optimistique when responding to someone else being pessimistic as was the case in the two preceding posts to my original post. therefore I was a little tung in cheek with my comment and not at all saying they did not do it just suggesting we have no proof as with my daily run... :)

Last edited: