Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think it's a bit sad there are no photos at all though. Even a shot of the VDS with the ideal miles wouldn't give away the aero upgrades if they want to keep that secret. And why even bother, unless it's super fugly? Hardly the spirit of open development the company had with Roadster 1.0.

From the 3.0 announcement, Dec 26th, Tesla sez:
Appointments for upgrading Roadsters will be taken this spring once the new battery pack finishes safety validation.

Soooooo, now that spring is here perhaps the next info will relate to status of safety validation?:confused:

Presumably somewhere between now and ~June 20th we'll get sufficient info to make appointments on upgrading: timing, specs, cost, warranty. Guessing the upgrades themselves will spill into summer if things are running late.

Again, very cool that they are doing something to show continued support and improvement for their first product and original halo car, hopefully the soon-to-be EV range champ once again. (Can't wait to see the full picture and figure out if it makes sense to get).

I do think it's a bit sad there are no photos at all though. Even a shot of the VDS with the ideal miles wouldn't give away the aero upgrades if they want to keep that secret. And why even bother, unless it's super fugly? Hardly the spirit of open development the company had with Roadster 1.0.

Unfortunately, public companies have far more rules to follow when it comes to disclosing future product information.

I do apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. It has been my experience that there seemed (I no longer read the MS posts) to be a fair amount of hostility being thrown back and forth by MS owners on the TMC site. Quite alarming and disrespectful. Something rarely seen on the Roadster posts.

I do apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. It has been my experience that there seemed (I no longer read the MS posts) to be a fair amount of hostility being thrown back and forth by MS owners on the TMC site. Quite alarming and disrespectful. Something rarely seen on the Roadster posts.
No, we've just been disappointed by Tesla for a lot longer than the Model S owners so we stop getting worked up about Tesla being Tesla.

Over the weekend I met UK roadster owner and improver @Arch / aka PV4EV on here

He has already done mods to his Roadster which give it all the 3.0 Benefits (less new battery).
From what he said and showed me they are ingenious, simple and effective !
...raising the effective practical range to well over 300 miles (and in the process beating the previous Australian, roadster range record holder).
Imagine this WITH the new battery and 400 miles is no 'vapourware'.

Roadster for the weekend | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

Last edited:
Okay, @Arch appears to have made that post over three months ago but has not yet revealed any details. You say he showed you his mods but you don't provide any details. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I do note that today is April 1st. So how about you post about what you saw?
Over the weekend I met UK roadster owner and improver @Arch / aka PV4EV on here
He has already done mods to his Roadster which give it all the 3.0 Benefits (less new battery).
From what he said and showed me they are ingenious, simple and effective !
...raising the effective practical range to well over 300 miles (and in the process beating the previous Australian, roadster range record holder).
Imagine this WITH the new battery and 400 miles is no 'vapourware'.
Roadster for the weekend | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

Its after lunchtime here in UK, so its no longer Aprils fool's :)
(the best I heard was Jeremy Clarkson to be new president of Uk's main cycling organisation Cycling Touring Club). :biggrin:

I'll leave it to @Arch / aka PV4EV to share as much or as little as he will .. but I saw the hours and hours independent R&D work he has done .. and from a commercial POV it might be beyond a 'free IP giveaway' to fellow roadster owners, ... frankly, he has probably done more professional R&D on the non-electronic 3.0 improvements as Tesla themselves.

Last edited:
Makes me REALLY curious Mark... I can imagine the aerodynamics of the car as well as the bearings could be improved. Maybe adding a lip to the front and skirts to the side could help in range as well Same goes for sealing off any "useless" holes on the bottom, around the wheel/suspension area and such. I've seen several Elises do so.

Did we miss an opportunity this week?

Tesla Model S Ticket Avoidance Mode - YouTube

Then add, "For the Roadster owners, and in keeping with the theme of defense against traffic tickets, we will be upgrading the announced Roadster 3.0 with new carbon fibre body panels which absorb RF energy even better than before, making the car totally invisible to police radar. AM/FM reception will, unfortunately, be impaired, but it's so bad already that we expect nobody will notice."

Queue it up for next year?

So I'm just going to leave this here:

r7AwBtF.png

It's no big deal to put a Model S connector on a Roadster to enable charging from a Model S HPC. Roadsters at the Fremont facility with Model S plugs have been known at least as far back as July of 2014. I have a photo of one I took myself while charging there after TMC Connect.

Note that this photo shows NOTHING that's expected to be on a 3.0 Roadster. Claiming that it's a Roadster 3.0 preview seems like nothing but trolling for publicity for a boring photo.

So..... What do you think? Is the roadster 3.0 as dead as this thread?
I truly believe that the MSD has been more than they bargained for but the implementation of the second motor is essential for Model X. I also believe that Tesla is a great inspiration and innovator for what the future needs. I will hold my shares of TSLA until I am old and grayer.... I'm already gray.
BUT,
994 is pushing 40,000 with a standard charge of 170 on a good day. Has the 3.0 project been abandoned, delayed, put on the back burner, scrubbed, ill conceived, forgotten, sensationalized,......... or hopefully just delayed!
Lots of fun to read the first 40 pages when expectations were running high all the hype was exciting, but since the big freeze, around page 45, and the time warp that stopped all glee and expectation sometime during last few weeks I have become sad...waiting for any glimmer that the project has not been swallowed up by problems with the growth and implementation of the Tesla dream.
Don't get me wrong ..... My Roadster and my wife's 85 alternate charging nights with pride and I love the cars......... Can't say anything bad about them....I just hope I will be able to make it to the SC in 992 without stopping for a charge at the Nissan dealer in a few years. I see that envelope slowly forming.
Bonnie, Teg, Tom ..........l any word????