TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster 3.0

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by DrComputer, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I was just thinking about this earlier in the week. I suspect that Model X activities have completely consumed everyone & that we may be on hold until the X starts rolling off the line.

That said, nothing wrong with asking. So I'll ask. If I hear anything, I'll report back.

In fact, think I'll send a quick tweet :).

2. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

3. bonnie

Quick response!

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 7.14.55 PM.png

4. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Nice job Bonnie!!

5. ibcs

ibcs Member

Outstanding info. Thanks Bonnie for asking for us that's amazing response time!

6. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Bonnie is my friggin hero

7. bonnie

My dogs are wondering why I burst out laughing.

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Validation for something like this is extremely time consuming. Combine that with the fact that Tesla can't hire enough engineers fast enough. Most of us are excited about 3.0 but don't plan to buy the new battery right away, so it's hard to imagine that it's getting top priority. We've had this discussion before, so I'll just say I'm happy they're still working on it given the circumstances.

9. bonnie

I'm with you, Henry - but there are a couple of folks (like botbldr45, above) who may need it sooner rather than later. So I'm glad to hear progress is still happening.

10. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

At $15k or less it is practically an instantaneous buy for me... I'm about 8k miles from the end of my battery warranty and picking up a new warranty is a motivator for me on top of the other obvious benefits... And my ideal is at about 162mi on my current pack.

11. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx

Bonnie, thanks so much for going to bat with the Tweet and getting such a quick and specific response from the top!:biggrin:

Very good to know this hasn't fallen off the map with all the big stuff happening (70D, X, residential battery,...). Doubt we would be getting something like this if Google or Apple or anyone else had bought Tesla whenever and were in charge now. Elon Rules.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, it's like Bonnie has a direct pipeline to the chief! I am IMPRESSED and pleased to hear that 3.0 will be available before September!

Thank you Bonnie, and thank you Elon. I'm happy to wait a bit longer...

13. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Great job, bonnie! Thanks. My 40th b-day is in August - maybe I'll buy myself a birthday present :smile:

14. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I notice he didn't mention which July/August of which year :wink:

Seems that, like perl 6, we might just get it before this christmas.

15. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Yep, agree completely!!!

16. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, knowing that things like design completion and subsequent safety validation would have to take place, what exactly was the "end of the year" timetable that was discussed earlier? Was that just for the announcement of the program?

17. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

Awesome to hear it is still going forward and sounds like it'll be announced officially (ie. official pricing/specs) by the end of this year. My Roadster has just 25K miles on it and the battery is barely getting to 170 ideal miles in standard mode, I'd love to be able to drive to LA or Las Vegas (I'm in PHX) but it is mostly impractical with the current battery, hoping the future will change all that!!!

18. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

I am also anxiously awaiting the 3.0 upgrade. But with your existing battery, Phoenix to LA is still very doable. My Roadster has 38K miles and standard charges to 175 Ideal miles.
    Last December I drove LA to Chandler AZ, and back. It took 2 charging stops, Cathedral City Tesla store, and Quartzite, AZ an overnight charge. Not as convenient as Supercharging but very doable.
    The trip was 435 miles one way, so even a 400 mile battery would require 1 charging stop. Charging with 70 amps gives you 48 to 56 mph (depending on voltage 208 or 240). This might reduce the time to 1 day but it would be a long day.
    You can do it!

19. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I remember that also the aerodynamics of the Roadster 3.0 is going to change a little bit. Are some pictures of the new Roadster 3.0 available?

20. bonnie

No, Raffy.